Turn on thread page Beta

Article: The six worst ways to choose your A-levels watch

ReputationRep:
    don't pick a subject that your boyfriend or girlfriend takes just to impress them. been there, done that.

ReputationRep:
    Alright I might get a lot of hate for this, but who cares.

To all those people that say "Don't pick/avoid a subject because of the teacher" -- **** YOU. You *******s, and there's plenty of you in my school, online, everywhere, could have ruined my life.

For any subject at any level, the teacher is an integral part of learning. Unless you are just that good at a subject whereby you can read a chapter and just automatically get an A in it (and people like this do exist) you are dependent to some degree on the teacher. And if the teacher is a pile of dung, then you are ****ed me dearies.

Exhibit A: GCSE Film studies. Sounded like a good subject, very different from my others, interesting course content, etc. The one thing holding me back was the ill-repute of the teacher. Supposedly at least 5 people comlain about him every year at every level. But I wave all that off, because everyone says you shouldnt judge a subject by its teacher. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY ACADEMIC CAREER. He made my life hell. I dreaded going to school. I was outting so much effort to please him with my coursework that all my other subjects had to take a back seat. I didn't even get the grade I wanted at the end of it. On the other side of reaults day, turns out i am not alone in making this type of decision.

So thanks.

Kids--the teacher does matter. If you end up in that horrible teacher's class, quit in September and go to another one. Trust me, the teacher does make a huge impact. Don't take it lightly.

ReputationRep:
    Pick hard subjects, I regret not having the challenge of studying Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie-3)
    Alright I might get a lot of hate for this, but who cares.

To all those people that say "Don't pick/avoid a subject because of the teacher" -- **** YOU. You *******s, and there's plenty of you in my school, online, everywhere, could have ruined my life.

For any subject at any level, the teacher is an integral part of learning. Unless you are just that good at a subject whereby you can read a chapter and just automatically get an A in it (and people like this do exist) you are dependent to some degree on the teacher. And if the teacher is a pile of dung, then you are ****ed me dearies.

Exhibit A: GCSE Film studies. Sounded like a good subject, very different from my others, interesting course content, etc. The one thing holding me back was the ill-repute of the teacher. Supposedly at least 5 people comlain about him every year at every level. But I wave all that off, because everyone says you shouldnt judge a subject by its teacher. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY ACADEMIC CAREER. He made my life hell. I dreaded going to school. I was outting so much effort to please him with my coursework that all my other subjects had to take a back seat. I didn't even get the grade I wanted at the end of it. On the other side of reaults day, turns out i am not alone in making this type of decision.

So thanks.

Kids--the teacher does matter. If you end up in that horrible teacher's class, quit in September and go to another one. Trust me, the teacher does make a huge impact. Don't take it lightly.
    I completely agree with you but I think people are more referring to the personality of the teacher and not necessarily how well they do their job if that makes sense

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.