Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AFraggers)
    Yeah I kind of understand.If you were doing this question using the inclusion- exclusion formula, how would you get to your answer??
    If you've never come across it, don't worry. I've only come across it this semester as a second year Maths undergrad.

But you use the formula, so P(AUBUC) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(ANB) - P(ANC) - P(BNC) + P(ANBNC).

We know that AUBUC = S so P(AUBUC) = 1. We know what the other things are except P(C), so take everything away from both sides leaving P(C) on the right and on the left P(AUBUC) - P(A) .... - P(ANBNC), and P(ANBNC) = 0 since P(empty) = 0.

That is basically what you should do with the whole shading / double counting thing but uses a formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If you've never come across it, don't worry. I've only come across it this semester as a second year Maths undergrad.

But you use the formula, so P(AUBUC) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(ANB) - P(ANC) - P(BNC) + P(ANBNC).

We know that AUBUC = S so P(AUBUC) = 1. We know what the other things are except P(C), so take everything away from both sides leaving P(C) on the right and on the left P(AUBUC) - P(A) .... - P(ANBNC), and P(ANBNC) = 0 since P(empty) = 0.

That is basically what you should do with the whole shading / double counting thing but uses a formula.
    Using the values from the original question, Do you get an answer of 0.897???
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Using the values from the original question, Do you get an answer of 0.897???
    For P(C)? That seems a bit too high.

Actually , with the values and that formula that does look like something you'd get.

ReputationRep:
    For P(C)? That seems a bit too high.

Actually , with the values and that formula that does look like something you'd get.
    ok i'll assume it's right. Thanks for the help!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    ok i'll assume it's right. Thanks for the help!
    I get the feeling you're not supposed to know that formula.

As long as you understand why it's the same as looking at the Venn diagram, and what makes up P(A) for example.

In a more simple example, where A and B are two overlapping circles on a Venn diagram, if you had P(AUB) = 1, P(A) = 0.7, P(ANB) = 0.2 then on the Venn diagram you would have in A (not overlapping with B) 0.7-0.2 (0.5), 0.2 in the middle and to find P(B but not A) it would be 1 - 0.5 - 0.2 = 0.3, because you've already accounted for the overlapping, but this is probably confusing.

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling you're not supposed to know that formula.

As long as you understand why it's the same as looking at the Venn diagram, and what makes up P(A) for example.

In a more simple example, where A and B are two overlapping circles on a Venn diagram, if you had P(AUB) = 1, P(A) = 0.7, P(ANB) = 0.2 then on the Venn diagram you would have in A (not overlapping with B) 0.7-0.2 (0.5), 0.2 in the middle and to find P(B but not A) it would be 1 - 0.5 - 0.2 = 0.3, because you've already accounted for the overlapping, but this is probably confusing.
    In terms of an alternative method, how would you answer this question without the formula???
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by uAFraggers)
    In terms of an alternative method, how would you answer this question without the formula???
    Basically the same method but without the formula, which is what I was trying to explain/hint at in the previous post.

Once you've got the correct Venn diagram all you need to do is 1 - all of the numbers to find P(C on its own) and then add on the other areas involving C to find P(C) (As P(C) = P(C on its own) + P(A intersect C) + P(B intersect C) + P(A intersect B intersect C).

That formula is how you get the 'correct' value of P(A on its own) as you are given everything else in the question

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind helping me with a question.

7i. I have done pretty much all of it. Though I am unsure on when you use the central limit theorem thing.

Like I thought since it was a sample you have to divide the standard deviation by n.

thanks
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/242460-...atistics-2.pdf
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Super199)

7i. I have done pretty much all of it. Though I am unsure on when you use the central limit theorem thing.

Like I thought since it was a sample you have to divide the standard deviation by n.

thanks
    CLT is used when you're using the normal distribution.

In this case I think you're fine without it as you are directly doing it with binomial

If something is distributed normally with mean mu and standard deviation sigma, then the mean of n of those things is distributed normally with mean mu and standard deviation sigma/(sqrt(n)).

ReputationRep:
    CLT is used when you're using the normal distribution.

In this case I think you're fine without it as you are directly doing it with binomial

If something is distributed normally with mean mu and standard deviation sigma, then the mean of n of those things is distributed normally with mean mu and standard deviation sigma/(sqrt(n)).
    Am I?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Am I?
    I could've sworn you wrote 6i

Let me look again

ReputationRep:
    I could've sworn you wrote 6i

Let me look again
    Yeah I did accidentally haha my bad.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

thanks
    The CLT is used when you're using the distribution of the mean. If you're using it then you don't need to assume that the data is normally distributed (7ii) because the CLT says that it is, provided it is a large sample.

But in i) though you can't use the CLT, by using the normal distribution to estimate the proportion you are assuming that the data is normally distributed.

ReputationRep:
    The CLT is used when you're using the distribution of the mean. If you're using it then you don't need to assume that the data is normally distributed (7ii) because the CLT says that it is, provided it is a large sample.

But in i) though you can't use the CLT, by using the normal distribution to estimate the proportion you are assuming that the data is normally distributed.
    hmm I sort of understand.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    hmm I sort of understand.
    Do you have any questions?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any questions?
    Slightly off tipic but did you do S3 at A-level?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Slightly off tipic but did you do S3 at A-level?
    S1-S4 but for Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    S1-S4 but for Edexcel.
    So did you do any mechanics?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So did you do any mechanics?
    Just M1

I did C1-C4, FP1-2, S1-4, M1 and D1.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.