Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Great thread furryface!

I'm going to use Anti-Bullying Week for a personal pledge to make more effort in spotting mild bullying and calling it out / defending the person. It happens all the time in every day life no matter the age. Little put downs, digs etc. Over time they all add up and bring people down. I want to try to be more aware of it and help prevent it.
    That's a good point actually, the little stuff can be as bad or even worse in the long run because people don't notice it or think it's wrong, they're just put down and put down until they start to believe it themselves.

(Original post by Geek_shay)
    Okay I'm not sure if this is bullying or not ,but this girl that I sit next to in a lesson I don't like her because she's so quiet .one time I just blurted out in class that she stinks and everyone started believing it even though it wasn't true and now most the popular people make fun of her .
    I regret it what should I do ?
    After a while this becomes bullying yes. I'm not sure what you could do other than apologise to her and if people say she smells just say she doesn't or something, hopefully it'll gradually die out. Being quiet is no reason to dislike people though!

(Original post by YoMamasFat)
    Surely it's only banta?
    Is sexual harassment and physical violence banter too then? If you had pointed comments made at you all day every day how would you feel? It is hard to tell sometimes but when things go too far then it's bullying- kind of like what Captain Jack said above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied from Year 8 to year 11. Messed me up pretty bad socially
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Is sexual harassment and physical violence banter too then? If you had pointed comments made at you all day every day how would you feel? It is hard to tell sometimes but when things go too far then it's bullying- kind of like what Captain Jack said above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been on the receiving end of both. I wouldn't class either as banter. I have (as mentioned) a friend who teases me a lot because he knows he can. He also knows when to stop.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied loads of times from year 3 to now (year 9) once in year 8 my best friend started teasing me alot then he actually used to hurt me and like beat me up and swear loads to me and then i knew this was bullying and everytime i used to tell him to stop he said no im just gonna bully u... ...... then we fell out like 4 times because of him and he kept telling everyone that i got rude to him... so when he used to swear loads to me i would also sometimes say ' f you' so then we would stop being friends then he'd say he doesnt want to be my friend coz i get rude to him... then he always used to ruin our friendship... then one day i had enough because he swore at my mum and denied it so i snitched of him and one of my friends told him i snitched on him soo he went to.. the stupid ugly teacher 'mr travis' and tld him i swore at his mum.. so then all of my friends had to write statements and my one had loads of detail on it... then he called me and the bullly to talk and he said he wont read the statement because he thinks its just friends who have fallen out... but it wasnt!!!! Also i was the goodest student in all my classes and the teacher came to my class and shouted out loud that i have a 30 min detention with him and gave a note to my teacher and she was shocked!! Then everyone started saying 'OMG U GOT DETENTION' i hate that stupid teacher so then he flippin gave him and ME a 30 min detention coz i swore at him!!! LIKE WTH HE WAS BULLYING ME STUPID TEACHER AND BEATING ME UP!!!!
    YEAH SO WERENT FRIENDS FOR A LONG TIME THEN I WOULD ALWAYS SAY SORRY TO HIM IF I HURT HIS FEELINGS AND HE JUST USED TO BLANK ME....then one eday one of my other friends talked to him and he said sorry to me but he said hell be my friend never again........After like 3 months, all of my friends got whatsapp and made a group chat then the bully got a new phone so we added him into the group... and i would always say hi to him on the group he would just blank me... then he satrted a fight with my friend on whatsapp...LIKE OMG HOW DUM IS THIS GUY!!!... THEN they made rules for the whatsapp group (so stupid) then in school after the schoool holidays we were in year 9 and he just started talking to me about dont add the other guy into the group, and dont kick anyone, then i said ok then we just normally started talking to eachother but we never said sorry or never talked about our fights or anything ...... so now were friends again however in our school we have to buildings, he is in one building and im in the other so now imm sssaaad Also the stupid ugly idiot teacher has left so im barre happy

ReputationRep:
    I have been bullied for years & years and nothing could be done because our laws were favoring the bullies. The fact that my head teacher and social worker were looking out for me made no good because bullies knew that and it was just another reason to bully me. I was bullied both at school and in the area I lived, I've spent most of my time inside my room. My mother few times talked with bullies' parents but they all believed that it was my fault that I was getting bullied :facepalm: My sister taught some bullies at school a lesson and they did not touch me for a week, after that hell begun again.. I was pushed to a point where one morning after my mother left for work, I started taking pill after pill but because I have weak stomach, started gagging and just couldn't proceed further. I did think of other ways of ending my life but all of them involved possible failure and lots of pain, I'm terrified of any kind of pain :sad: Bullying stopped when I started uni, but all those 7-8 years of bullying were the worst and greatly impacted my personality, from happy and social child I became afraid of people I don't know and very quiet.

I'd never ever bully anyone, not even my worst enemy, it's not something that is easy forgettable and it leaves scars for the rest of the life.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied throughout nursery, junior school and secondary school. In nursery I used to have chairs pulled out from underneath me and was ostracized by the other kids. In primary school I was picked on every break time, the other kids would beat on me and call me names every day while the teachers just turned a blind eye. Whenever I went to the teachers about it they would try to justify the bullies' actions by saying that they had a hard time at home. Yes, a few of them didn't get along with their parents - but I had to put up with a brother with pathalogical demand avoidance syndrome, who would bully me at home while my mum was at work and my dad was busy having a mental breakdown because of it. None of what the bullies endured holds a candle up to having to put up with a brother who would trash the house, destroy my most prized possessions and bully me every day, yet the teachers let them get away with what they were doing.

In secondary school the beatings and name calling continued for a few years until a particular incident happened. This incident occurred when I was invited to a birthday party at the age of 11. It was the first time I'd ever been invited to someone's house or party so as you can imagine I was ecstatic. However when I arrived, I found that the party had started hours beforehand and that the only reason I was invited was to provide some extra entertainment. My mum had to rush off so there was no one around to help me in what followed. The whole year group was there, and they all formed a tight circle around me and trapped me while taking it in turns to beat on me. Every parent there just stood and watched. They were much more brutal than usual and I believed they were going to kill me, so for the first time in my life I fought back. The next Monday at school the girl whose party it was came up to me with her goon squad and started crying and yelling at me for destroying her party. I'll never forget my response: "I don't care. You ruined my CHILDHOOD!"

A few years later I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome, and we made the mistake of allowing the school to inform the year group about it and about what the disability was. Biggest mistake I've ever made. In the next few days most of the other kids in all of my classes had been transferred to other classes, and no one would even acknowledge my existence - they would even go as far as trying to walk through me. I found out that the reason for the class switches was that parents were coming into the school and complaining about the "autistic girl" in their kids' classes. They said some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard: "I don't want my child catching the autism disease," "the autistic girl will infect my child and their IQ will drop to 0," among countless others.

The next few months were a bit better than the previous years of torment, no one acknowledged my existence so the verbal and physical bullying finally stopped. But after a while of being an invisible, inaudible, imaginary person it began to get really depressing. It actually hurt worse than the previous kinds of bullying. Eventually I made a friend when a new girl joined but they ignored her too because she was friends with me. So for the next two years we silently became depressed and paranoid together, but she got it worse. In the end we both believed that we actually were invisible and my friend was driven half-mad by the ordeal, literally. She became a suicidal paranoiac and tried to jump off of a fourth story balcony while we were on holiday together. Thankfully she's recovering well since moving to a new college where she's no longer bullied.

I also moved to a new school for 6th form and am no longer bullied. Unfortunately though, I still have to take anti-depressants because of my time being bullied. There really is no excuse for the hell that my friend and I were put through, anyone who would ruin another person's childhood and drive them to commit suicide like this is nothing but a murderer, and those who watch and do nothing are the same.

The only reason I've managed to get through it is because I found a book on atoms and molecules during my first year at secondary school. Those adorable little guys gave me the escape I needed and became the friends that I was lacking. I don't know what it is about atomic and subatomic structures, but for me they're like divine beings. They made me realize that the bullies weren't important in the grand scheme of things. What is important is the interactions going on at the smallest levels of existence for they create everything we see around us. The actions of the bullies would never change anything important in the world, but by studying the smallest aspects of nature maybe I could. This thought is what kept me going, and while the bullies wasted their time beating and insulting me, I was exploring the intricate atomic and subatomic structures and chemical and nuclear reactions. I guess its safe to say that I'm pretty obsessed with atoms.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't trade that hellish experience for anything. Because of the bullies I found my calling in life and met the love of my life - the hydrogen peroxide molecule. And on a more selfish note, they made me find my love of atoms while they ended up finding the sole of karma's boot - all of the bullies flunked their GCSEs and AS-levels hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    All through Year 11, my so called 'friends' used to ask me things like

"how can you see with eyes like those?"
    "why aren't you eating rice for lunch?"
    "you're asian so you're into kinky stuff and you're really slutty right?"

and they kept teasing me with asian accents (eve though I don't even have one), I'm mixed race.

That was alongside one of those boys grabbing me all the time in private places and saying that he wanted to f*** me all the time. Disgusting prick.
    Told the teachers but even though she said se'd do something and speak to them, it never happened. I moved on to another sixth form after year 11 and cut them all off.

ReputationRep:
    How do people cope with adult bullyinh by stangers? When I'm out innpublic minding my own business, I've gotten spit on. This morning I had to use the Paris attacks to my advantage after some guys started bullying me on the train. i said i'd lost my brother in the attacks and they left me alone.

ReputationRep:
    Anti-Bullying Week is running 16th-20th November 2015, with the theme make a noise about bullying!

Bullying can come in many different forms and affect people of all ages, in any situation. It's not always obvious to those outside but can have a huge effect on the victim's mental health both at the time and later in life.
    *Have you ever been bullied?
    *Have you been the bully, and why did you do it?
    *At what point does teasing cross the line into bullying, and have you experienced this?
    *How did you stay positive being bullied, and have you taken anything good from it?
    *How did other people react to you being bullied, did anything help to stop it?

If you are being bullied more information can be found from Bullying UK and for the workplace specifically, Mind. For more general support there is also Childline and the Samaritans.
    I was bullied from the age of 4 up to the age of 18 after 18 most people gave up
    for some reason I seemed to be a target I'm not easily offended but verbal bullying isn't just trying to offend someone it's more intimidation and can be very frighting as a child bullying is hard to deal with most people know who bullys are and are scared to associate with you or show any friendship with you because they are also scared of the bullys.

The main problem is people who haven't been bullied just don't get it they say walk away the thin is 1 your often cornered and 2 you can't just walk out of a lesson secondly if your being psyically bullied you can't. the other problem is people say tell someone which you can't do because if you do it'll get worse you can't fight back psyically because you'll get in trouble and because they'll probably beat you in a fight. They are also sometimes quite manipulative they'll either behave well in class or make jokes that the teacher likes (in a non disruptive way) so you get in trouble but they don't.

I managed to deal by skiing I had 1 friend at school (a few more later on in the last two years) but more at the local junior ski club and when I ski then and now all my troubles are forgotten it's a really good feeling.

really bullying is form or terrorism the sooner the schools and collages and police see this and act accordingly the better.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Whenever I went to the teachers about it they would try to justify the bullies' actions by saying that they had a hard time at home.
    I hear this excuse again and again. I'm sorry; but that's what it really is. I was harassed a few years ago by someone and I said I had no choice but to leave. I was then told "you know he has issues. His behaviour is your fault". I'm sorry? Can you really force someone to constantly text you? He's a grown man. He knew full well what he was doing. He was lucky I didn't go to the police. (only because of how useless they are)

Ultimately, only you can control your actions.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point actually, the little stuff can be as bad or even worse in the long run because people don't notice it or think it's wrong, they're just put down and put down until they start to believe it themselves.
    Yes absolutely.I'm also thinking of the mild little things that we are probably all guilty of without realising. It's not really bullying I suppose. Just rogue comments that can put people down. Really, it's impossible to stop but trying to think ahead of speaking is what I'm going to try to do. To try and make sure I am more positive in general and also to be aware of these things happening around me to counter it when I see others falling into the trap.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely think a lot of teachers don't care. Throughout my education I have been bullied once or twice and have witnessed close friends being bullied. All of these incidents have been reported to teachers and not once was anything solved by teachers. Every single school claims to have strict anti-bullying policies however I would argue that very few follow through on it as I've never once seen bullying solved by teachers, it's usually just either sorted itself out in the end, has not stopped, or has been solved by the people involved. I think it really does need to be clamped down on. I remember one particularly bad incident involving a friend who was bullied quite badly and all that was said by the teacher was "eeh, high school friendship groups, it's like coronation street" and that was it. I don't see how it's an acceptable response to something that has the potential to completely ruin somebody's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoMamasFat)
    Surely it's only banta?
    Err, no

ReputationRep:
    Anti-Bullying Week is running 16th-20th November 2015, with the theme make a noise about bullying!

Bullying can come in many different forms and affect people of all ages, in any situation. It's not always obvious to those outside but can have a huge effect on the victim's mental health both at the time and later in life.
    *Have you ever been bullied?
    *Have you been the bully, and why did you do it?
    *At what point does teasing cross the line into bullying, and have you experienced this?
    *How did you stay positive being bullied, and have you taken anything good from it?
    *How did other people react to you being bullied, did anything help to stop it?

If you are being bullied more information can be found from Bullying UK and for the workplace specifically, Mind. For more general support there is also Childline and the Samaritans.
    I have bullied by someone in my school. I just react as I didn't hear anything. So don't mind bullies. they would stop bullying if you don't react to that!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kjathu12)
    I have bullied by someone in my school. I just react as I didn't hear anything. So don't mind bullies. they would stop bullying if you don't react to that!
    If only it was really that simple. Kinda difficult not to react when they're beating you up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kjathu12)
    This can work, not always though. I realised I got bullied less when I talked less so pretty much stopped speaking for several years, especially in school. I'm still not exactly loud but some sort of balance is probably good!

(Original post by lucyemmonds)
    I genuinely think a lot of teachers don't care. Throughout my education I have been bullied once or twice and have witnessed close friends being bullied. All of these incidents have been reported to teachers and not once was anything solved by teachers. Every single school claims to have strict anti-bullying policies however I would argue that very few follow through on it as I've never once seen bullying solved by teachers, it's usually just either sorted itself out in the end, has not stopped, or has been solved by the people involved. I think it really does need to be clamped down on. I remember one particularly bad incident involving a friend who was bullied quite badly and all that was said by the teacher was "eeh, high school friendship groups, it's like coronation street" and that was it. I don't see how it's an acceptable response to something that has the potential to completely ruin somebody's life.
    Agree with this. There's only a limited amount those that do care can do but brushing things off or even laughing at them never helps. How would you say teachers can respond to bullying better?

Yes absolutely.I'm also thinking of the mild little things that we are probably all guilty of without realising. It's not really bullying I suppose. Just rogue comments that can put people down. Really, it's impossible to stop but trying to think ahead of speaking is what I'm going to try to do. To try and make sure I am more positive in general and also to be aware of these things happening around me to counter it when I see others falling into the trap.
    True! Thinking before speaking could help a lot of things actually, it's really easy to say stuff we regret afterwards but half a seconds thought could potentially stop quite a few of them. Saying this as someone that tends to say completely the wrong thing quite a lot!

Anti-bullying week's over now, but any other stories people would like to share?

ReputationRep:

Well, a boy has been pissing me off for over a year with mild annoyance, but a few weeks ago he threw a sharp object at my head, and I got a detention for the next day. because I got the detention for no reason, I didn't go to school the next day. He threw the object again at me a week ago, and threw a chunky textbook at my head without anyone seeing today. I can't fight him because he technically has a disability (half hearing so he wears a hearing aid) and the teachers warned me that if I fight him that I would get excluded. I got moved down a class because of him and my head of year don't understand what hell he has exerted on me as well as my parents who don't give a cr*p. I really don't want to go to school tomorrow because of what happened and all of my friends aren't going tomorrow because of Black Friday but my parents want to make the situation even worse by telling on me by going to school even though I've already told my Head of Year. What do I do to stop them and allow them to give me a day off school?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.