Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's the difference between confident and arrogant in your opinion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is know who you are. Arrogance is thinking that you're more than you are.

(Original post by Zarek)
    Sad to say he's probably an arrogant tosser but you're clearly intrigue if not infatuated. I would cut to the chase and mention it.
    Sad times. I did not even bother to ask about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sad times. I did not even bother to ask about it.
    Carpe diem

(Original post by TorpidPhil)
    '' You should put me first. In my past relationships my ex's put me first and I matched their effort".

Neither. Just sounds like faulty logic to me.

" you should feel privileged, I just finished work at you're the first person I thought to call ".

Neither. It's either truthful and blunt or manipulative. Press them more about it - Why should I feel privileged, were you tempted to call someone else over me? Why didn't you? Why did you call me instead? If he shuts up and has no response he's just trying to manipulate you. If he goes "oh because you're x,y,z and I think that's awesome" then perhaps not.

"I'm going to bring out the naughty side of you"

Confident. Not necessarily a good thing though.

Man he sounds like hard work tbh. I was so taken aback by the things he was coming out with I didn't respond how I wanted to. Plus I couldn't talk much as I was around my family. The last thing I remember saying to him is '' You sound very big headed'' and I couldn't hear what he said following this, but I was about to call him Cocky and the phone cut off. He is an odd character.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is arrogance when you can't back it up.

ReputationRep:
    Confident: 'I am going to do well on this exam'

Arrogant: 'I am going to do better than you/everyone on this exam'

(Original post by BlueReptiles)
    first two are manipulative and control freak-esque.
    third is confidence and probably not true.
    Lmao. I hate when guys claim xyz will happen and it doesn't. Hmm I didn't even consider him as manipulative until reading the last few replies in this post. *sighs * what to do? Get rid? Or see how it goes after first date?

(Original post by Zarek)
    Carpe diem
    I'm hoping I'm not just digging myself into a deep hole. I'm not sure if I should end it here or see if there is actually more to him and this is an act.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao. I hate when guys claim xyz will happen and it doesn't. Hmm I didn't even consider him as manipulative until reading the last few replies in this post. *sighs * what to do? Get rid? Or see how it goes after first date?
    how old is he? if under 25 go on a date guys under that age can be incredibly awkward but not at all like that at times. if over 25, run as far as you can

how old is he? if under 25 go on a date guys under that age can be incredibly awkward but not at all like that at times. if over 25, run as far as you can
    Lol. He's just missed that boat,he's closer to 30. Just got off the phone with him. He was asking why I sounded the way I did apparently I lacked enthusiasm. He said I've sounded more upbeat on other occasions. I said I was tired. I couldn't hear him much because my phone is faulty. I said id call him back in a minute. I did and he had the cheek to ignore my call!!! My phone decided it wouldn't hang up so it went all the way to voicemail lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. He's just missed that boat,he's closer to 30. Just got off the phone with him. He was asking why I sounded the way I did apparently I lacked enthusiasm. He said I've sounded more upbeat on other occasions. I said I was tired. I couldn't hear him much because my phone is faulty. I said id call him back in a minute. I did and he had the cheek to ignore my call!!! My phone decided it wouldn't hang up so it went all the way to voicemail lol.
    ditch and run, how old are u btw?

ditch and run, how old are u btw?
    Lol story of my life. I always get the bad eggs. I'm 27 x

ReputationRep:
    Lol story of my life. I always get the bad eggs. I'm 27 x
    ok, that probably means you have more dating experience than I do then lmao. im only 18 and youre listening to advice from me?!

ok, that probably means you have more dating experience than I do then lmao. im only 18 and youre listening to advice from me?!
    Age ain't nothing but a number. I kind of skipped alot dating when I was younger, I didnt really take any interest in my love life.

ReputationRep:
    Age ain't nothing but a number. I kind of skipped alot dating when I was younger, I didnt really take any interest in my love life.
    this convos seems to be veering off, I dont wanna annoy the other people watching this thread, pm if you wanna talk more.

ReputationRep:
    Confident people feel comfortable and content. It seems impossible to bring them down, because they are aware of their weaknesses and know how to deal with them.

Arrogant people usually brush their own shortcomings aside and cannot admit to their mistakes. They'll often go out of their way to belittle others as well, most likely to make themselves feel better about the confidence they in fact lack.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.