Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just got rejected:( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ah I'm still waiting on warwick for ppe application - really bad luck your application sounds so strong?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuttsford)
    Maths, Geography, Politics and Economics, I dropped economics BUT it was made very clear that this was due to MAJOR teaching problems with the A2 economics course.
    I'd guess it was this. Whereas economics isn't required to do the course because not all schools offer it, a very different picture is painted when someone has the opportunity to do it and then drops the subject which is part of the degree applied for. Teaching issues as a mitigating circumstance is not usually accepted, since the view is that the applicant could make up the work in other ways. I'm not saying that is fair, but it is the view usually held by universities.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Geography, Politics and Economics, I dropped economics BUT it was made very clear that this was due to MAJOR teaching problems with the A2 economics course.
    Was this discussed in your PS? I know you think they weren't going to look at your PS, but something like this could be seen as a major red flag in the PS by admissions tutors if you spent time complaining about your current teaching. At A-level, it's pretty much expected by unis that you will make up the work yourself if you need to (after all, you'll get much less support at uni).

Obviously it's gutting to get a rejection, but at least you have an offer from Bath and three other applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    The thing is, applying to uni is a competitive process, and you're competing against the other people who apply this year, not the people who applied last year. If this year there's an especially high standard of applicants, then they will have to find a way to chose between them- and references and the PS are pretty much the only things available to them.

Also, I know you said your GCSEs were strong, but do you meet the requirement of an A in GCSE Maths? What about the preference for 1 science/maths subject and 1 essay based subject?

Ultimately though, only Warwick can tell you why you were rejected, everything on here is just guess work.
    I got an A* in GCSE maths, am doing maths at A Level where I am predicted an A* and am doing Politics which is considered an essay subject, I will email them though to try and find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whw)
    ah I'm still waiting on warwick for ppe application - really bad luck your application sounds so strong?!
    Thank you, what was your app like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'd guess it was this. Whereas economics isn't required to do the course because not all schools offer it, a very different picture is painted when someone has the opportunity to do it and then drops the subject which is part of the degree applied for. Teaching issues as a mitigating circumstance is not usually accepted, since the view is that the applicant could make up the work in other ways. I'm not saying that is fair, but it is the view usually held by universities.
    Yeah I guess, they don't mention economics as a requirement on their website at, I at least have an A grade in AS econ!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Was this discussed in your PS? I know you think they weren't going to look at your PS, but something like this could be seen as a major red flag in the PS by admissions tutors if you spent time complaining about your current teaching. At A-level, it's pretty much expected by unis that you will make up the work yourself if you need to (after all, you'll get much less support at uni).

Obviously it's gutting to get a rejection, but at least you have an offer from Bath and three other applications.
    I discussed with my teachers mentioning it in my PS but they said to save it for my reference. Am just very frustrated because I really liked Warwick!

ReputationRep:
    Did you put work into your PS or did you just assume that you would get offers because of your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakmoh15)
    yeah from warwick
    May I ask what grades you applied with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaeden)
    Did you put work into your PS or did you just assume that you would get offers because of your predicted grades?
    Yeah! Thats what is frustrating! I spent ages on it and did loads of work experience at Parliament/Home Office, did a week in a head office for economics and set up a school debating society for philosophical questions!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Thats what is frustrating! I spent ages on it and did loads of work experience at Parliament/Home Office, did a week in a head office for economics and set up a school debating society for philosophical questions!
    Damn... that sucks. /:

You've still got four choices left (and they're probably all great unis considering your grades/predicted grades), so don't let this get you down.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaeden)
    Damn... that sucks. /:

You've still got four choices left (and they're probably all great unis considering your grades/predicted grades), so don't let this get you down.

Good luck!
    Thank you mate!

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what grades you applied with?
    sure, got 7 A*s and 4As at GCSE, then AAAB (B in Maths- probably why I was rejected) and predicted A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakmoh15)
    sure, got 7 A*s and 4As at GCSE, then AAAB (B in Maths- probably why I was rejected) and predicted A*AA
    Jeeeeez! They must have some insane applicants this year!

Just got rejected from Warwick for PPE I ca't quite understand why, my predicted grades were higher than the offer, my AS's and GCSE's were solid, anyone know how I can find out why I was rejected?
    While I understand you must be very disappointed and it must seem very harsh in the end this is a very competitive course.

If you look here
    :https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ion_statistics

you will see that last year they had 930 applications and only made 119 offers which is less than 13%. Many of those who applied will have had first claas exam results and predictions. After all why would you apply if you didn't have the grades and the predictions they want`?

They will therefore reject hundreds of really good candidates who may well have the qualification standard they require.

Every year this board is full of people who seem to think that because they are predicted very good grades this will automatically guarantee them an offer when the statistics show that this is never going to be the case. I am not trying to be mean and I am sure you are a highly able student who will do well where ever you go but in the end if you apply for very competitive courses with very low offer rates there is always going to be a very real chance of rejection

Ask them for feedback to see if there was anything specific and then hopefully look forward to studying some where else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchingyouwatch)
    While I understand you must be very disappointed and it must seem very harsh in the end this is a very competitive course.

If you look here
    :https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ion_statistics

you will see that last year they had 930 applications and only made 119 offers which is less than 13%. Many of those who applied will have had first claas exam results and predictions. After all why would you apply if you didn't have the grades and the predictions they want`?

They will therefore reject hundreds of really good candidates who may well have the qualification standard they require.

Every year this board is full of people who seem to think that because they are predicted very good grades this will automatically guarantee them an offer when the statistics show that this is never going to be the case. I am not trying to be mean and I am sure you are a highly able student who will do well where ever you go but in the end if you apply for very competitive courses with very low offer rates there is always going to be a very real chance of rejection

Ask them for feedback to see if there was anything specific and then hopefully look forward to studying some where else
    To be honest I didn't actually realise how competitve Warwick was!

ReputationRep:
    I discussed with my teachers mentioning it in my PS but they said to save it for my reference. Am just very frustrated because I really liked Warwick!
    Bath is so much nicer than Warwick anyway! (Even though it's really frustrating at the mo) besides there are quite a few cases of people being rejected from Bristol, Durham, Warwick etc but being accepted by Oxford so all is not lost! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Bath is so much nicer than Warwick anyway! (Even though it's really frustrating at the mo) besides there are quite a few cases of people being rejected from Bristol, Durham, Warwick etc but being accepted by Oxford so all is not lost! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Bath is so much nicer than Warwick anyway!
    Mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Mean.
    It's just my opinion, Warwick is in the middle of no where and a bit dull... Bath is beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.