Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    I don't believe in God in a "classic" way. It's just that I can't believe that the existence of life is so..purposeless. I don't know if that's just me but I would like to believe that humans live to fullfill a task
    Whose life is more purposeful:
    1. Someone learning and doing what s/he likes and eventually be happy due to his/her achievements;
    2. A slave who was born to pick fruit for his master.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but without a higher power at work, it seems like there is no point to life as a whole, but each individual's purpose in life is to procreate, so that there is more life on this world
    No, I'm not necessarily talking about procreation. I'm saying that everyone can choose to give their life whatever meaning they want, i.e. what job they want, if they want a family, what causes to contribute to etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have had some experiences that can't be explained scientifically, during when I completely focus on God.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in God because with so much evil in the world it's comforting to think there's some form of justice for them. I can't really explain it. It's not like it's being under informed that's brought me here, I'm studying Physics at the moment, I don't think there's a bearded man in the clouds, it's just that comfort you get from as source of faith

ReputationRep:
    You don't believe in God. You have faith in God. That since the moral word of the Protestantism English language bible leads to improvement, that faith in God comes from this. Personally I believe in God because I can feel God and speak to God. Evidence exists for God if you seek it internally within yourself. External scientific evidence doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in the soul and I feel like I've encountered spirits due to past experiences, so I think there's something out there. I was also raised and still to an extent an a Catholic so I have faith in a God. However I consider myself agnostic because regardless of faith or intensity of beliefs we can't know if God is real or not. We're all agnostic really.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    No, I'm not necessarily talking about procreation. I'm saying that everyone can choose to give their life whatever meaning they want, i.e. what job they want, if they want a family, what causes to contribute to etc.
    And following on from what you're saying, if they want to believe in God, they can. I don't understand why you have a problem with that and are so adamant about forcing your ideology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
    And following on from what you're saying, if they want to believe in God, they can. I don't understand why you have a problem with that and are so adamant about forcing your ideology?
    You're attacking a strawman because I haven't said they can't believe in God. I was querying the statement that life without God has no purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklescamp)
    I believe in the soul and I feel like I've encountered spirits due to past experiences, so I think there's something out there. I was also raised and still to an extent an a Catholic so I have faith in a God. However I consider myself agnostic because regardless of faith or intensity of beliefs we can't know if God is real or not. We're all agnostic really.
    It's a nice idea, sure. But I don't see how its possible to make logical sense out of souls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geek_shay)
    Okay this can come from a Muslim or a non-Muslim,but why do you guys believe in God when there is no evidence of him.
    (Personal experiences etc)
    *her.

ReputationRep:
    because it annoys edgy dweebs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Whose life is more purposeful:
    1. Someone learning and doing what s/he likes and eventually be happy due to his/her achievements;
    2. A slave who was born to pick fruit for his master.
    I didn't say it was to 'serve the creator' I believe that it's your life and only you can make it to what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Evidence exists for God if you seek it internally within yourself. External scientific evidence doesn't work.
    Lol, elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    The existence of a non-religious supreme being seems self-evident even if the idea of religion is childish.

If God is God he a) wouldn't care about worship because by definition a supreme being doesn't need humanity (narcissistic supply) and b) he would do a better job of making the true religion both clear and impossible to doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather say I believe in God instead of saying I don't just in case there's really a place called Heaven up there.

You know.... to avoid getting the gates closed in my face.

ReputationRep:
    God exists and she is on my side. I saw her with my own eyes, and nobody can take that away from me. And I say this as someone who is normally very skeptical about these sorts of things.

If you think about it, everyone knows God is real. Some just choose not to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    My reasoning:
    -God either exists or doesn't exist.
    -If God doesn't exist, then whether you believe in God or not doesn't matter.
    -If God does exist, then it'd be good to believe in him so you get to go to a nice afterlife etc. etc. instead of burning in hell... :P

Therefore, seeing as we have no concrete evidence whether God exists or not, it would be logical to believe in him so that, in case he does, you get the best future for your soul, and if he doesn't, believing doesn't really have much disadvantages (as long as you're not a zealot about it) and you might become more driven and positive about life.

So, I'd actually really like to believe in God and I don't mind if other people do, but I think I'm just too much of a sceptic to without empirical evidence: I mean, was that kid who never believed in Father Christmas despite my parents' best efforts and stayed up late as a 5 year old to prove that I was right and catch them in the act xD

I hope it isn't disrespectful to compare God to Santa but for a while, I tried to get myself to believe in God, and even tried praying, but it just always felt like I was putting on a little fairy story for myself, like Santa all over again. The "just have faith" thing never worked for me; I suppose I was trying for the wrong reasons.

The other thing is that it always seemed illogical to me that there are so many different religions, all adamant that their set of beliefs are the true ones. Which one is right? What if someone grew up in a society where one religion was all they'd ever know their whole lives, but when they died it turned out to be the "wrong" religion? Would they be punished for never finding out about the "real" religion even if there was no way they could have found out about it? If God is that kind of being, I'm not sure I'd want to believe in and worship them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by the bear)
    because it annoys edgy dweebs.
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in an afterlife.
    This is something I find strange about believers in mainstream religions, the assumption that if God exists an afterlife must also exist and that this afterlife must be both permanent and right the wrongs of the previous life on Earth. Why would everyone necessarily live forever in the afterlife? Why would there be a flaming pit? Why would God care whether or not we masturbated or prayed? Why would it be permanent?

EDIT: Also, if God knows there are people who will choose to do evil and as such he will punish them in the afterlife, why does he choose to create them?

and why is it sinful for me to even ask these questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    itt
    Go Dawkins!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.