Turn on thread page Beta

18th Nov: What makes you strong? watch

ReputationRep:
    Lifting weights and eating lots of food.

Hitting my first rock bottom, there will be more. Having to meet challenges you never thought you would have to meet, and still being alive a year later. That makes me strong. Love makes me strong when I'm being strong for my family but sometimes I have to fight my own battle and that strength comes from a much darker time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    On this week’s Surgery on BBC Radio 1, Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about resilience.

So on anti-bullying week, we want to know: what makes you strong? Whether it’s against bullies, difficult situations or the things that frighten you - we want to know!

Post your comments here, and remember you can post anonymously!
    Personally, the motivation to do what I want and the support of the people that matter to me rather than those that put me down.
    I guess it's extremely subjective but if you have that focus on what you want in life and have the right people around you rather than focusing on the people that do the opposite, it can really help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    God makes me stronger.
    I suffer from depression and He has filled me with the strength to face every day.

ReputationRep:
    The ability to keep going. A few years ago when I broke down I would truly break, as in hospitalised for suicide attempt kinda break. Now I can walk away, cry it out and pick myself back up. Yeah I still have horrible thoughts of hurting myself sometimes, but my strength is that I don't give in. When my mind is telling me to give up, I don't listen to it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Elpis, the spirit of Hope.

That and the sun that brightens our day.

ReputationRep:
    Acknowledging my weakness.

(strictly for those who don't think Browning is something you put on steak)

ReputationRep:
    my mum

The blood of Jesus, and the love of God makes me who I am today.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu7n0XzqtfA
    (Original post by olliedut)
    stoicism
    Hold on, if the teachings of stoicism say abandoned hope is the root of all suffering then how is it possibly helping you stay strong?

ReputationRep:
    My i don't give a **** attitude and friends that know who i am.

For example a couple of weeks ago someone made an account on instagram and proceeded to post fake nude pictures of people "claiming" that they where real, so i looked at it and saw my name then proceeded to laugh because it wasn't and ever since then it's become kind of a running joke amongst my friends and I.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally by being strong makes me feel close to my grandpa, he dies when my mum was 18 so I never met him but I feel like I have with the amount of stories I have been told. It sounds strange but I always get told how much of a strong man he was and if my mum was to cry he would ask her why crying makes it better. So for me I don't really cry in order to feel as though my grandpa is with me.

ReputationRep:
    On this week’s Surgery on BBC Radio 1, Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about resilience.

So on anti-bullying week, we want to know: what makes you strong? Whether it’s against bullies, difficult situations or the things that frighten you - we want to know!

the fact that bullying will continue into the workplace and thereafter. bullying is as much an issue with adults as kids yet no one talks about it. hopefully I can be bit more of a role model as I age.

Im sure it even goes on in BBC radio 1.

ReputationRep:
    Would agree that bullying is a big problem amongst adults and in the workplace, however can be difficult to resolve in the workplace - it can lead to mental illness and people having to take long periods of time work but people can find it difficult to discuss the root of the problem.

In terms of the original question, family and being able to get outdoors help me keep going: I struggle most when I cannot speak to family and I am trapped indoors in a city.

ReputationRep:
    Wolff's law.

Heavy duty psychotropic medicines
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    love

http://postimg.org/image/tze2iu23d/

There was a period where I was very depressed and suicidal for many years during high school, but I've managed to begin to work past it, largely due to my girlfriend, who gives me hope for the future and reminds me that even though things are tough for us at the moment, things will improve, and that's what makes me strong

ReputationRep:

Personally what keeps me strong is the thought of what I want to do as a career. In May I found what I really wish to do in life. When I come across a situation that makes me feel weak or down I think of what I want to achieve. It's helped me with my anxiety - I've become a lot more confidence and my teachers have noticed the difference

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.