Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's a fair price for uni tuition fees? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What's a fair price for uni tuition fees?
    No fees at all
    23.86%
    Less than £3,000 a year
    18.97%
    £3,000 a year
    32.37%
    £6,000 a year
    14.38%
    £9,000 a year
    6.06%
    More than £9,000 a year
    4.36%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    true but we would have to pay more if we studied in another country i think?
    Aye, that is.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just realised my point is refutable My bad.

ReputationRep:
    12-16k per year for top unis and "genuine" course

6-9k max for poor courses and poor unis

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I think people should pay for what the facilities/faculty & all other factors are really worth. So this will differ from uni to uni. Yes, it's hard to implement in the real world, but ideally I think that's what should be charged.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Aye, that is.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just realised my point is refutable My bad.
    what does refutable mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Yes, Germany and the Nordic countries have no tuition fees , and Hungary has a system where you pay no fees if you meet the entry requirements. You can still get on the same course if you don't meet the grade requirement but you have to get a tuition fee loan.
    (I don't know how this is relevant to the discussion)

We already had non repayable living allowances in the UK up until 4 seconds ago.
    In Denmark Uni pays you :crazy:

ReputationRep:
    what does refutable mean?
    Able to be proved wrong
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Katty3)
    What like in America? That's worked really well hasn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Care to remind me of the funding structure? Oh, and look how well things are going in Scotland with no fees? How about the improvement over the last few years?

ReputationRep:
    If that other country is in the EU economic group thing I think you don't have to pay anymore than someone in that country would. In Denmark a lot fo course are in English anyway. This year I met someone who was living over here for 6 months to help improve her english as in her country (Denmark) the science courses are taught in english, the text books are in english etc.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni and degree. It's worth to pay £37,693 for a Msc in Financial Economics at Oxford, but I wouldn't pay £3,000 for a BA in History at Leeds Beckett.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at uni in the mid 1980s, uni was free and you got a grant. But only 6% of 18 year olds went to uni then compared to 36% now.

Would people now want to decrease the number of students by 83% but get free tuition and a grant?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    If that other country is in the EU economic group thing I think you don't have to pay anymore than someone in that country would. In Denmark a lot fo course are in English anyway. This year I met someone who was living over here for 6 months to help improve her english as in her country (Denmark) the science courses are taught in english, the text books are in english etc.
    so if i went to denmark say i would pay the same amount as a denmark born person?
    what if the denmark person came here? would they pay the same amount as an english born person? if they have to pay more then that would be unfair as it would be double standards

ReputationRep:
    You would only pay sth like €250 of fees in France, and 35% of the rent is paid by the welfare system.

ReputationRep:
    so if i went to denmark say i would pay the same amount as a denmark born person?
    what if the denmark person came here? would they pay the same amount as an english born person? if they have to pay more then that would be unfair as it would be double standards
    Not 100% sure.But if you had the confidence or keeness to go to uni in somewhere like Denmark you should look into it.

Also Denmark pays it's students $500 a month :fyi: (whether you would get that is another question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    12-16k per year for top unis and "genuine" course

6-9k max for poor courses and poor unis
    Charging £16,000 a year just on tuition is outrageous. That doesn't include accommodation, food, bills, supplies, clothes, transports (the list goes on). The average NUS give is around £12,000 per year living costs. The two costs combined over three years is £84,000.

Quite frankly that suggestion was ridiculous. I'm pro-fees but there should be no increase anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    Free for traditional academic degrees ....
    Around £10000 without funding from the taxpayer in the form of student loans for anything else.

the reason fees came in was the funding of all these Mickey Mouse degrees that sprung up in the last 20 years or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)

Would people now want to decrease the number of students by 83% but get free tuition and a grant?
    Yes, this is the thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Charging £16,000 a year just on tuition is outrageous. That doesn't include accommodation, food, bills, supplies, clothes, transports (the list goes on). The average NUS give is around £12,000 per year living costs. The two costs combined over three years is £84,000.

Quite frankly that suggestion was ridiculous. I'm pro-fees but there should be no increase anytime soon.
    Some private medical schools charge like 35k per year. It's for solid degrees. Really fair tbh. 16k for some mickey mouse degree from a mickey mouse uni no way. It will barely cost the uni 2k per year.

ReputationRep:
    The fee should also depend on the degree, why does the taxpayer have to subsidize an art history student.

ReputationRep:
    No fees in Scotland is the best thing, I don't think id be able to afford going to uni if it wasn't free.. Neither would some of my friends. I think we are incredibly lucky

ReputationRep:
    The fees should be whatever it costs to fund the education. There shouldn't be any tax payer subsidiary for as long as places continue to be filled.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.