Turn on thread page Beta

Can you tell someone's sexuality by their interests? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You can't gauge sexuality from people's interests. Straight people are very much in the majority though. It's usually a safe bet to assume somebody's straight unless you're told otherwise.

(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Also, bisexual (as well as pansexual, asexual and other sexualities)
    plz no there's more now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    You can't gauge sexuality from people's interests. Straight people are very much in the majority though. It's usually a safe bet to assume somebody's straight unless you're told otherwise.

plz no there's more now?
    Please don't assume anyone's sexuality.

What's wrong with someone finding a word they feel fits them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Please don't assume anyone's sexuality.

What's wrong with someone finding a word they feel fits them?
    If I assume a girl is straight and ask them out, they'll most likely go "sorry I'm a lesbian", I'll say something along the lines of "Oh ok that's cool I didn't know sorry" or words to that effect and it'll be chill. I find no issue

When tumblr people (it's never anybody else let's be honest) come up with random new words for every little thing they deliberately alienate themselves from normal folk when another word that already exists would most likely work perfectly fine for them. For example demisexual is the most pointless term ever conceived and should not be treated as an orientation that's separate from the whole straight/gay/bi/asexual thang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    If I assume a girl is straight and ask them out, they'll most likely go "sorry I'm a lesbian", I'll say something along the lines of "Oh ok that's cool I didn't know sorry" or words to that effect and it'll be chill. I find no issue

When tumblr people (it's never anybody else let's be honest) come up with random new words for every little thing they deliberately alienate themselves from normal folk when another word that already exists would most likely work perfectly fine for them. For example demisexual is the most pointless term ever conceived and should not be treated as an orientation that's separate from the whole straight/gay/bi/asexual thang.
    The problem is that by assuming everyone is straight you make people feel excluded. You make it harder for people to figure out their sexual and romantic orientations. If you are attracted to someone and you think they are attracted to YOU, ask them out. But don't assume that because someone looks a certain way, or has certain hobbies, or has a certain personality they must be attracted to certain people.

It is not your place to comment to the legitimacy of the words anyone else uses to describe their sexual or romantic orientation. Demisexual is a perfectly acceptable term that some people feel they identify with. And that's cool. It is considered part of the ace-umbrella but is not the same as asexuality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.