Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Semaphore)
    Buy a road bike and ride 20km, 5 days a week like me
    I've tried cycling the roads but honestly I couldn't. I've frozen in the middle while cars beeped at me and even fallen into the a couple ditches with nervousness.

I have been walking a lot this week though. I did the 4.5 miles to and from work on Monday along with some errands (11 miles in total)

And have been walking the 2nd bus route instead. Yesterday I walked 9 miles. I went for a 3 mile stroll around midnight as I was feeling restless and then did 6 miles of walking in the middle of the day as I had stuff to post.

Definitely an improvement over being bound my buses and ubers.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BKS)
    Might be stating the obvious but just in case, make sure you buy ones that'll fit an olympic bar

Sensible substitution, same movement but more possible for people who aren't skinny and easier to progress on

I'd stick to 20kg bar for deadlift at least, thick bars make grip harder
    Bodymax Olympic Cast Iron Tri-grip Weight Disc Plate (Single) - 1.25kg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MFP8X..._u.RDwbF9TKARJ is what I'm thinking.

How does one deadlift an empty bar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I've tried cycling the roads but honestly I couldn't. I've frozen in the middle while cars beeped at me and even fallen into the a couple ditches with nervousness.

I have been walking a lot this week though. I did the 4.5 miles to and from work on Monday along with some errands (11 miles in total)

And have been walking the 2nd bus route instead. Yesterday I walked 9 miles. I went for a 3 mile stroll around midnight as I was feeling restless and then did 6 miles of walking in the middle of the day as I had stuff to post.

Definitely an improvement over being bound my buses and ubers.

Unfortunately walking is not enough to lose weight. You need to be active - meaning that walking is a normal day to day activity. I advise you to get a road bike, ride 20km everything, on pedestrian walkway early morning, that way there's no one on the walkway and you can benefit from its convenience. Also when cycling in the morning, dont eat before cycling, theres research on the fact that exercise before breakfast loses more weight due to glycogen

ReputationRep:
    Bodymax Olympic Cast Iron Tri-grip Weight Disc Plate (Single) - 1.25kg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MFP8X..._u.RDwbF9TKARJ is what I'm thinking.

Good find, those are cheaper than I'd have paid

You don't. If your gym has proper sized 5kg plates then you can start with 30kg but if not 40kg. Don't worry though, it's not heavy
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

You can deadlift an empty bar to practice form but there is no need. This isn't what he is suggesting though - he is just advising you not to use bars other than the 20kg (standard weight) one for the deadlift -which is good advice.

Those plates will be fine - you just want to make sure the hole is 2" so that they will work with the Olympic bars at the gym.

I would also suggest buying a dumbbell (or kettlebell if you fancy) for home though for when you don't have the time or mental energy top go to the gym.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BKS)
    Good find, those are cheaper than I'd have paid

You don't. If your gym has proper sized 5kg plates then you can start with 30kg but if not 40kg. Don't worry though, it's not heavy
    Thanks. I have an amazon gift card which I'll use for the order.

Ah, I'm sorry. As BH pointed out below, I misunderstood you when you said I'd stick to 20kg bar for deadlift at least, thick bars make grip harder. I thought you were suggesting making sure I start with the empty bar as it's difficult and the grip will be difficult - that I shouldn't overestimate myself, basically.

Thank you for your help . I recall you gave advice when I initially started my weight loss. As I mentioned in the OP, the changed eating did work and I'm finally (after some time) approaching the weights .

(Original post by ByronicHero)
    You can deadlift an empty bar to practice form but there is no need. This isn't what he is suggesting though - he is just advising you not to use bars other than the 20kg (standard weight) one for the deadlift -which is good advice.

Those plates will be fine - you just want to make sure the hole is 2" so that they will work with the Olympic bars at the gym.

I would also suggest buying a dumbbell (or kettlebell if you fancy) for home though for when you don't have the time or mental energy top go to the gym.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll cast a firm eye over the item's description as well as the reviews before making a final decision. The kettlebell suggestion makes sense. I could do rows, raises and presses with it. I'll bear it into consideration though it won't be an immediate purchase.

(Original post by Semaphore)
    Unfortunately walking is not enough to lose weight. You need to be active - meaning that walking is a normal day to day activity. I advise you to get a road bike, ride 20km everything, on pedestrian walkway early morning, that way there's no one on the walkway and you can benefit from its convenience. Also when cycling in the morning, dont eat before cycling, theres research on the fact that exercise before breakfast loses more weight due to glycogen
    Thank you for the advice but I'm afraid I'm going to ignore it.

I think the calorie deficit formed by my diet, general increased activity levels as well as triweekly trips to the gym will be sufficient for weight loss.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks. I have an amazon gift card which I'll use for the order.

Ah, I'm sorry. As BH pointed out below, I misunderstood you when you said I'd stick to 20kg bar for deadlift at least, thick bars make grip harder. I thought you were suggesting making sure I start with the empty bar as it's difficult and the grip will be difficult - that I shouldn't overestimate myself, basically.

Thank you for your help . I recall you gave advice when I initially started my weight loss. As I mentioned in the OP, the changed eating did work and I'm finally (after some time) approaching the weights .

Thanks for the clarification. I'll cast a firm eye over the item's description as well as the reviews before making a final decision. The kettlebell suggestion makes sense. I could do rows, raises and presses with it. I'll bear it into consideration though it won't be an immediate purchase.

Thank you for the advice but I'm afraid I'm going to ignore it.

I think the calorie deficit formed by my diet, general increased activity levels as well as triweekly trips to the gym will be sufficient for weight loss.
    Kettlebells and dumbbells have a large amount of crossover. I prefer kettlebells for ballistic movements and just generally find them more fun. You can pick either up pretty cheaply online though. Best of luck.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.