How do you manage your depression? Watch

sos_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't........

You just need to keep busy and lose yourself in the sway of life

At the moment i'm struggling a lot because i have a lot of free time which leads me into disordered thoughts. Next week is quite busy for me so hopefully things will improve. But it takes time and you have got to want to change things for yourself. Easier said than done.
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by F.Nietzsche)
Ahh okay, because I was wondering generally people with depression can't reason their feelings away. Usually you can't think about poor people and suddenly feel better but if it works for you then great! (:
Works for me most of the time I guess it wouldn't work for severe or even moderate depression, but it is something to be thought about :/
F.Nietzsche
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by sos_)
I don't........

You just need to keep busy and lose yourself in the sway of life

At the moment i'm struggling a lot because i have a lot of free time which leads me into disordered thoughts. Next week is quite busy for me so hopefully things will improve. But it takes time and you have got to want to change things for yourself. Easier said than done.
That sounds sad. :/ Have you thought about trying mindfulness? It might help with the thoughts. ^-^
sos_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That sounds sad. :/ Have you thought about trying mindfulness? It might help with the thoughts. ^-^
I'll give it a try :P
Ferdowcey Rahman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How do you cope with it?

Personally, I write.

I completely shut off.
And I listen to music.
redbluedex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My brother Jacob has depression and when he's feeling really awful, he goes to the local animal rescue centre and they let him play with all the dogs. He says it's more effective than any pill he's ever taken, and a much quicker 'fix' than alcohol or drugs. I don't know how true it is that dogs can sense our emotions, but Jacob says even the most vicious of dogs in the centre are tame and affectionate towards him whenever he's feeling low.
stop888
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The internet and sleep.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by redbluedex)
My brother Jacob has depression and when he's feeling really awful, he goes to the local animal rescue centre and they let him play with all the dogs. He says it's more effective than any pill he's ever taken, and a much quicker 'fix' than alcohol or drugs. I don't know how true it is that dogs can sense our emotions, but Jacob says even the most vicious of dogs in the centre are tame and affectionate towards him whenever he's feeling low.
Glad to hear this helps your brother so much
I agree that this can be super helpful. I volunteered at an animal shelter for a while, helping with the cats, and it made me feel great when I was petting and playing with them.

I got my psychiatrist to write to my landlord so I could get a "therapy cat" in a no animal apartment. I love having him around and he's great to cuddle when I feel like crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PrincessZara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
punching my duvet...seriously.
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Video gaming is my escape.
StrawbAri
Badges: 17
Report 3 years ago
Cry and then sleep. The next morning it would have soothed from an agonizing pain to a dull ache in the background.
Sometimes when I feel on the brink of.... ermm you know what I mean.... I watch old Simpsons episodes to distract myself from actually getting up and doing... the thing....

Other times I just listen to Modest Mouse
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
Immersing myself in TV programmes and exercise really helps with my depression, I find that if I sit still or I'm not active, then it can get a bit much. Keeping busy is key to me.
The Warsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
By avoiding experiencing it in the first place.
alcibiade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I exercise and just try to get on with it.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't have depression constantly but when my OCD and panic attacks flare up, I go through bouts of depression which can be quite severe and last weeks and can come again just a day or two after getting over them. I did have depression full on in the past. My best way of dealing with it is to make sure I am eating and sleeping well. I often underestimate how important food and sleep is for your wellbeing. I also listen to my Dr Claire Weekes tapes and that reminds me that it's only temporary and my energy will rise again soon, even through depression.

I pretty much baby myself when I am in this state. I do things slowly and gently and try and cut out as much stress as I can. I make sure I don't isolate myself completely but I still take some me time to just chill out. I take two baths a day to relax as well when I am my worst. Exercising really helps too, even just five mins on my exercise bike or a quick walk around the block help. Its finding the motivation to get started that's the hard part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemons1990
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1. Accept that I'm having an episode and stop trying to fight it.
2. Break down and cry.
3. Forget about cleaning & the washing up that needs to be done
4. Write and write
5. Either I will feel like I really need to talk or I tend to shut my friends out.
6. Literally stay in bed more- trying to comfort myself.
Chant No.1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ripping my hair out in frustration.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Goaded)
I ignore it until I break down.

Then I get it all sorted and I'm in a good place.

Then it happens again.

it's a lovely cycle
Ah **** this circular motion is me too -_-

Seriously how do does anyone remain stable?
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
listen to music try not to over think cooking keeping myself busy
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
Ah **** this circular motion is me too -_-

Seriously how do does anyone remain stable?
I feel you. I've given up on the idea lmao.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (134)
18.61%
Labour (307)
42.64%
Liberal Democrats (143)
19.86%
Green Party (41)
5.69%
Brexit Party (21)
2.92%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.28%
SNP (9)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.83%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)