MalayHKG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
Mandarin isn't offered often for the IB. My school stopped it the year before I started.

I wouldn't say French, Spanish, German or Arabic are useless.

Do you already speak Mandarin? If you have to take ab initio, I don't know how much use it would be, in terms of the level of proficiency you would have at the end. It's not an easy language so it'll take time to speak it well.
Actually, I wanted to also take Mandarin, but couldn't. I still find the language interesting.
I'm from Hong Kong so I speak cantonese which is a dialect of Chinese. I know absolutely no Mandarin but seeing as though I would like to work in Asia in the future Mandarin seems like the logical choice to pick in comparison to the other languages. I don't intend on taking ab initio and I was actually considering Higher level.

The funny thing is my school has a mandarin teacher and but she currently has no students and so I don't think the school want to employ her to teach 1 student.
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MalayHKG)
I'm from Hong Kong so I speak cantonese which is a dialect of Chinese. I know absolutely no Mandarin but seeing as though I would like to work in Asia in the future Mandarin seems like the logical choice to pick in comparison to the other languages. I don't intend on taking ab initio and I was actually considering Higher level.

The funny thing is my school has a mandarin teacher and but she currently has no students and so I don't think the school want to employ her to teach 1 student.

Now that you say, I should have known you speak Cantonese from your username. (I've been to Hong Kong last year btw).

Higher level would be more literature based than language,depending if you take A or B.

Your (potential) university might offer mandarin as a language courses.

But makes sense to choose mandarin then.
MalayHKG
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
Now that you say, I should have known you speak Cantonese from your username. (I've been to Hong Kong last year btw).

Higher level would be more literature based than language,depending if you take A or B.

Your (potential) university might offer mandarin as a language courses.

But makes sense to choose mandarin then.
Haha I would have thought that would be something people assumed of me due to my username.

Did you study in Hong Kong?

I was only going to do Mandarin if i was to do the IB, For A level subjects I was planning on studying other subjects.
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MalayHKG)
Haha I would have thought that would be something people assumed of me due to my username.

Did you study in Hong Kong?

I was only going to do Mandarin if i was to do the IB, For A level subjects I was planning on studying other subjects.
Fair enough.

I don't look at usernames so much when I reply. Just slips my mind.

I went to Hong Kong for holiday. Stayed in Wan Chai for two weeks. Was pretty warm out there.
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do they not offer scholarships? Or at least part scholarships? I got offered one, and if I can do it pretty much anyone can.
DedicatedWizard
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have u considered doing the Mandarin exam as an external candidate? You can try hiring a tutor to teach you Mandarin and then you can just go to the school that you don't have to pay fees for. Provided that they offer you the other subjects you want to do. I think paying for a tutor would be cheaper imho...
MalayHKG
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goaded)
Do they not offer scholarships? Or at least part scholarships? I got offered one, and if I can do it pretty much anyone can.
They don't offer any scholarships as far as I know
MalayHKG
Rep:
?
(Original post by DedicatedWizard)
Have u considered doing the Mandarin exam as an external candidate? You can try hiring a tutor to teach you Mandarin and then you can just go to the school that you don't have to pay fees for. Provided that they offer you the other subjects you want to do. I think paying for a tutor would be cheaper imho...
I haven't considered that although that would seem like a good thing to do.

Problem is if I do IB I would have to do one of either French,German,Arabic or Spanish and then externally do mandarin which would mean I'm studying 7 subjects basically and that's virtually impossible considering the fact that IB already has 2 more subjects than A Levels and is incredibly hard.
FlyingBird
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Either look at scholarships and bursaries or search for a good state sixth form/college. Either way you wouldn't have to do the IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
18.65%
Labour (185)
41.57%
Liberal Democrats (91)
20.45%
Green Party (33)
7.42%
Brexit Party (15)
3.37%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.12%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)