Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why does this need legislation? If it needs legislation, wouldn't a higher priority be to pass a bill mandating that soldiers carry firearms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Its Actually not " routine " as not all military pilots have handguns while flying in combat missions . this bill will make it Law that all military pilots Will HAVE to been armed in ALL Combat situations regradless of the location

as for training

- Military Pilots will be armed ( with blank ammo ) during training exercises with other air forces however they will NOT be armed during standard flying training in the UK
    Out of curiosity, where are you getting your information from? I know pilots who have flown combat missions, and they were armed... Essentially what you're saying is you want to take the decision on whether or not a weapon is carried away from those with an intimate understanding of the situation, and place it in the hands of those who know little to nothing about it (your credibility takes a serious knock at being unable to correctly name the Royal Navy's aviation group, ditto your comments on flying in the UK with a sidearm).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Aye to this.

I find unbelievable that pilots weren't armed before.
    That's because they were, research wasn't done, and the bill was still submitted when it was done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Josb)
    Aye to this.

They are armed on a discretionary basis. I brought this up with Hazzer (see Jammy's link) when he informed us of this bill but it was too late.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    They are armed on a discretionary basis. I brought this up with Hazzer (see Jammy's link) when he informed us of this bill but it was too late.
    Not quite true that it was too late
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not quite true that it was too late
    He had submitted the bill already. I guess he could've recalled.

ReputationRep:
    But if a pilot were captured by another nations armed forces (as opposed to irregulars), surely they would be safer to not have a weapon at all if they were facing rifles? They wouldn't stand a chance, and maybe they'd have a better chance of surviving under enemy internment than fighting back against superior ground forces.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    But if a pilot were captured by another nations armed forces (as opposed to irregulars), surely they would be safer to not have a weapon at all if they were facing rifles? They wouldn't stand a chance, and maybe they'd have a better chance of surviving under enemy internment than fighting back against superior ground forces.
    Still ultimately the decision of the pilot as to whether they use it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Still ultimately the decision of the pilot as to whether they use it or not.
    Of course, but if they were unarmed, would the enemy be less likely to fire on the,? Probably not, but I thought it was an interesting thought to raise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    Of course, but if they were unarmed, would the enemy be less likely to fire on the,? Probably not, but I thought it was an interesting thought to raise.
    I doubt so, if they're going to break international law they're going to do it whether there was a gun or not.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Well considering that there is no need for this nay...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    - Giving Pilots SA80s might interfere with their flying as its a very heavy and large gun . whereas a small compact handgun like the glock 17 or anyother 9mm pistol is ideal
    - Like i said Pilots will not be armed during UK Based standard flying . however if they are taking part in a large training exercise with other air forces then they will be armed . and they will be armed during combat situations ( airstrikes , interceptions ETC )
    Yes but the variant I mentioned is already used for helicopter and vehicle crews because it is compact and/or the L80A1/L90A1 MP5s are compact and easy to stow away e.g. it could be strapped to the underside of side of their seat and at worst 1 automatic weapon to a 2 pilot crew for space/utility, however it would be easy to equip each pilot with an automatic weapon as the Russian Air Force do with AKS-74Us currently.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

Spolier the notes, looks prettier.

All your bill titles should have 2015 in there as well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Aye.

Spolier the notes, looks prettier.

All your bill titles should have 2015 in there as well.
    I thought you were against bills that do nothing and that are generally sloppy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    - Giving Pilots SA80s might interfere with their flying as its a very heavy and large gun . whereas a small compact handgun like the glock 17 or anyother 9mm pistol is ideal
    - Like i said Pilots will not be armed during UK Based standard flying . however if they are taking part in a large training exercise with other air forces then they will be armed . and they will be armed during combat situations ( airstrikes , interceptions ETC )
    That and the SA80 is a bit **** - I use it cadets and you usually end up with 2 or 3 jammings every mag (despite us only putting 20 out of the possible 30 rounds in).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Training would surely have to be provided? I agree with the general premise though

Edit: Punishment is also too harsh.
    This^^^

(Original post by Josb)
    Aye to this.

It has been suggested that they were, thus making this bill useless...
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    This^^^

It has been suggested that they were, thus making this bill useless...
    I think they might have had the choice, but most opted out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    That and the SA80 is a bit **** - I use it cadets and you usually end up with 2 or 3 jammings every mag (despite us only putting 20 out of the possible 30 rounds in).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that you end up with that, or even the instructers end up with thst?

ReputationRep:
    This bill is useless then? Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Punishment is too harsh, but I agree with the general premise.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.