Turn on thread page Beta

A Level Additional Further Maths watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Yes I am, I don't think there's a rush to go to university. Although I'll see what offers I get, although I wouldn't be surprised to get rejected from my top 2/3
    I think a gap year will be beneficial for you, whats the harm in learning more maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    I think a gap year will beneficial for you, whats the harm in learning more maths?
    I like your thinking Ben ;D

ReputationRep:
    I like your thinking Ben ;D
    I've taught all 18 Edexcel modules but 'difficulty' is very personal I think - D1 takes a week realistically if you have other things to do. You do need to practise the algorithms and they are more fun at uni - time constraints in the exam limit how complex the questions can be.

If you take a gap year will your teachers help you with STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    I've taught all 18 Edexcel modules but 'difficulty' is very personal I think - D1 takes a week realistically if you have other things to do. You do need to practise the algorithms and they are more fun at uni - time constraints in the exam limit how complex the questions can be.

If you take a gap year will your teachers help you with STEP?
    Well I will have a whole to teach myself 6 modules plus prepare for STEP. If I decide to take a gap year I'll be able to start AFM in July so I'll be done pretty quickly

TSR will help me with STEP ;D seriously though I'm not sure, there's plenty of online resources and I'll find a STEP tutor if I really need one

Also I could be wrong here but doesn't STEP test your creative ability and application of maths to solve problems, so you cant really be taught how to do it, you can either do it or you can't?

ReputationRep:
    Well I will have a whole to teach myself 6 modules plus prepare for STEP. If I decide to take a gap year I'll be able to start AFM in July so I'll be done pretty quickly

TSR will help me with STEP ;D seriously though I'm not sure, there's plenty of online resources and I'll find a STEP tutor if I really need one

Also I could be wrong here but doesn't STEP test your creative ability and application of maths to solve problems, so you cant really be taught how to do it, you can either do it or you can't?
    You can be taught techniques for STEP - we run a course for our students - and there is this:

http://www.mei.org.uk/stepaea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You can be taught techniques for STEP - we run a course for our students - and there is this:

http://www.mei.org.uk/stepaea
    I'm sure I could find some help somewhere then, to learn these techniques

Thank you very much for that

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working through FP3 for further maths. M5 seems amazing, but idk how difficult it is (5 is a big number :afraid:)
    Krollo has already studied it - I'll defer to his expertise and let him tell you what it's like. :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 13, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.