Turn on thread page Beta

I've met a few extremists on TSR. Have you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    There's still people out there who don't understand that you can quite easily be traced on the Internet.
    Apparently the terrorist shooters in the US fooled the security services by making a dupe on Facebook

So much for Big Brother always watching

I always hope that tracing could be automated based on patterns of speech, if someone uses certain buzzwords, justifies something it should spit back that they are a terror risk and their ISP should have some sort of mark next to their address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mpagtches)
    Yeah, coz the head of MI5 definitely spends all their time on TSR ...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Wait ... they probably do actually :sadnod:
    They are more likely to be reading Facebook posts and messages, but TSR is within the realm of likelihood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCitizenAct)
    Define extremist.

It's a subjective term, and entirely orientated around perception.

I've met a lot of people on TSR who like dicking around with the confines of what many would class as 'socially acceptable behaviour.' That doesn't make them extremists, it means they challenge people - and we need a lot more of that in society.

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that the people who set standards for socially acceptable behaviour - the perpetually politically correct - are far more extremist than most, to the point of being misanthropic and totalitarian.
    (In case you're implying that I've set standards for socially-acceptable behaviour) I've missed where I've mentioned that it's right or wrong? Simply that it is? And no, it's not an entirely subjective issue. Imagine you quantified views and put it on certain types of graphs, the ones at the edges will be extremities, no? (Kinda hard to explain, but I'm sure you'll get it, considering I find you a smart individual.)

I've explained in part my reasoning for the thread title in my other post.

Curious, do you think I am politically correct, or just that my views align with those motivated by political correctness? Or neither?
    (Or perhaps politically correct at times, at at other no, considering you said "perpetually".)

(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    W.W.
    May I ask what you meant by that? Any definition on the Internet doesn't really apply in context, I think / I'm not sure.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Yep, hard to believe that you'll find people on here who support the killing of apostates and homosexuals for example. And many of these have been born and raised in the UK..
    Well, at least TSR has enlightened me more to the truth (well made me acknowledge it.)

Well I am extreme ... ly excellent, if that counts
    I suppose it counts.

(Original post by RulesforRadicals)
    Me too

If I were running MI5 there are about 10 users I would have flagged up as a security risk
    lol :rofl: (I'm using that elsewhere, if you don't mind.)(I understand what you mean though.)

(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    The internet shows people's hidden side.
    I won't say hidden, just less reserved.

(Original post by z33)
    yeah it's quite disgusting
    (Not sure what to say here, soz.)

(Original post by Raymat)
    How on Earth are TSR allowing them to roam free on this forum?
    Hmm... I kind advocate them expressing their views, so people can debate them. Enlightenment for them. Culturing & improving views & arguments for us.

(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    I didn't know TSR had threads with tips on how to make explosive at home.
    I feel the sarcasm. That isn't necessary to deem them as such.
    I can make a thread for that if you want? (Wouldn't really, even for you. )

TSR doesn't have a strong enough policy on banning hateful opinions.

It's tough on spammers but if you say women should under certain circumstances be stoned to death, provided you saying it in a relevant context the CT's don't care. This place is like Stormfront sometimes.
    I disagree; banning them wouldn't allow for them to be challenged, and would possibly allow them to fester.
    I believe over time logic can prevail.

(Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I know some of the spelling is atrocious
    Have I spelt something wrong? I feel that this is a jab at me (instead of a joke or something that I just don't get.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)

lol :rofl: (I'm using that elsewhere, if you don't mind.)(I understand what you mean though.)
    Not at all

I disagree; banning them wouldn't allow for them to be challenged, and would possibly allow them to fester.
    It's gone past the point of debating them.

They should be regarded as a risk to British national security and be under police watch

ReputationRep:
    Also it makes no sense that profanity is banned, but calling for stonings and beheadings is not.
    Too true.

I remember one user (remember name, I think, but I'll forego it) who tolds a user that they should be stoned for being homosexual... (Edit: Or when asked, said yes. Can't remember exactly.)

Yeah, coz the head of MI5 definitely spends all their time on TSR ...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Wait ... they probably do actually :sadnod:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise against doing that. You wouldn't want to get on some watchlist now, would you?

ReputationRep:
    I remember one user ... who tolds a user that they should be stoned for being homosexual...
    Probably just thought they might like to try a bit of heroin :dontknow:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Disclaimer: in no way am I condoning the taking of drugs, and in fact completely disapprove of the practice.

ReputationRep:
    Who decides what an 'extremist' is?

ReputationRep:
    (In case you're implying that I've set standards for socially-acceptable behaviour) I've missed where I've mentioned that it's right or wrong? Simply that it is? And no, it's not an entirely subjective issue. Imagine you quantified views and put it on certain types of graphs, the ones at the edges will be extremities, no? (Kinda hard to explain, but I'm sure you'll get it, considering I find you a smart individual.)

I've explained in part my reasoning for the thread title in my other post.

Curious, do you think I am politically correct, or just that my views align with those motivated by political correctness? Or neither?
    (Or perhaps politically correct at times, at at other no, considering you said "perpetually".)

May I ask what you meant by that? Any definition on the Internet doesn't really apply in context, I think / I'm not sure.

Well, at least TSR has enlightened me more to the truth (well made me acknowledge it.)

I suppose it counts.

I won't say hidden, just less reserved.

(Not sure what to say here, soz.)

Hmm... I kind advocate them expressing their views, so people can debate them. Enlightenment for them. Culturing & improving views & arguments for us.

I feel the sarcasm. That isn't necessary to deem them as such.

Have I spelt something wrong? I feel that this is a jab at me (instead of a joke or something that I just don't get.)
    Just messing around m8 nothing to do with you

ReputationRep:
    from a really broad range of backgrounds
    By this I assume you are referring to the totalitarian left?

I think someone should set-up a charity for these people. Just think, if we each donated just £5 per month, we could end hurt feelings forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBNPkid)
    Well, the left, obviously.

They control every other aspect of the narrative.

ReputationRep:
    By this I assume you are referring to the totalitarian left?

I think someone should set-up a charity for these people. Just think, if we each donated just £5 per month, we could end hurt feelings forever.
    dbi m8

ReputationRep:
    I'm really glad that a number of users from a really broad range of backgrounds see this is as an issue which needs to be dealt with

Captain Jack
    Queen Cersei
    Puddles the Monkey
    Captain Jack
    Queen Cersei
    Puddles the Monkey

Edited: I agree with taking down the views calling for the death of people, or supporting any beheadings / stoning. But if it's views about an idea, I disagree with taking that down, because that means they could not be challenged, and different groups in society won't push and further each other in both their character and their intellects.

I was just curious of other people's experiences, being antagonistic usw usf.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't implying anything, by the way.

A scatter graph? 'Views' alone aren't anything, they only stand to be defined as someone perceives of them as 'this or that.' 'Views' can take on a markedly different meaning from context to context. Take 'black culture' - switch it and call it 'white culture' and you'll have a remarkably different response, albeit the same 'view.'

It's much the same with personality - people don't have a personality, their personality is what other's perceive it to be.

Perceptions are fluid, and change. 4 years ago, it was deemed 'racist' to even discuss immigration. Today, it's commonplace.

ReputationRep:
    I just assumed that they would always be tracing the IP of people who promote extreme hatred

Like NSA or PRISM, so they can crack the next terror attack
    I doubt they're omnipresent though, considering their limited numbers / limited manpower.

Which, in another context, would euphemistically be referred to as 'minority rights.' One man's extremist is another man's diplomat.

It's all contextual. I've just spent 4 pages being the lone voice in opposition to women's right to vote - I did this to highlight what I deem to be a very important parallel issue: whether women should be deemed individuals, or a collective group, in a political context. Most people don't understand the nuance of the topic - to communicate it, I often have to take an extreme position in live debates, blog posts or even on an internet forum.

To some this makes me extreme, to others this makes me an advocate of common sense (though, these people probably perceive I would actually choose to disenfranchise women). I make points I don't believe in all the time, simply to accentuate a point I want the reader, or listener, to arrive at.

Actions (or incitement), rather than words, are probably more indicative of extremism. Words (particularly as shared amongst the chattering classes) are very rarely purposeful and are often used to manipulate, twist, deceive, guilt, shame, cajole and further the interests of the few, or a particular group.
    Actions, however, are far more likely to have an effect.
    Is e.g. the idea of accepting homosexuality antagonistic though? If it was fully accepted, it doesn't provoke or hurt anyone.

Considering women as a group instead of individuals can be a means to an end, whether it be good or bad.
    It depends whether they all share the something in common or not.

You don't really exemplify the connotations of extreme (personally.)

Actions can be perhaps more indicative, but that doesn't mean words are useless in making judgements.

To be fair, they do their best to stop them.

Our resident anti semetic posts under various user names.

Our resident holocaust denier, 'cycle of spin' has been banned but will often create new user names to deny the holocaust ever happened.

They're actually quite easy to spot.

New user name + outlandish/extremist views = nutter.

I'd go as far to say that the 9/11 conspiracy retards fall into the extremist category.
    At equation, lol.

What's wrong with conspiracies though? It shouldn't be demonised because it offers altering view points / provokes debate/thought, and 9/11 conspiracies aren't hurting anyone?

There's still people out there who don't understand that you can quite easily be traced on the Internet.
    Yep, very easily.

Not at all

It's gone past the point of debating them.

They should be flagged up as a risk to British national security and be under police watch
    I want to rep this. :grin: But I'm not sure whether that goes against my principles or not...

ReputationRep:
    This is a student website not 4Chan

If some woman comes on here and sees people saying she should be stoned or some young guy who is gay and struggling with his identity, sees people saying he needs to be beheaded, that's a pretty appalling situation.

There is also a danger that allowing their views to be broadcast, won't lead to them being challenged, but rather lead to them recruiting others into their extreme ideology. Look at Reddit and how each subreddit becomes a massive echo chamber.
    Actually, I'll go change my statement; I forgot context (blond moment.)

Not merely views when calling for death...

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I'll go change my statement; I forgot context (blond moment.)

Not merely views when calling for death...

Sorry.
    It's all ok man

I know you're on the right side, even if you'd do things a little different to me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It's all ok man

I know you're on the right side, even if you'd do things a little different to me :cool:
    Thoughts about edit?

ReputationRep:
    Probably just thought they might like to try a bit of heroin :dontknow:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Disclaimer: in no way am I condoning the taking of drugs, and in fact completely disapprove of the practice.
    I love your humour, and in turn, I loved you for a fleeting millisecond. :grin:

(Original post by TheBNPkid)
    Each to their own. For me, an arbitrary judgement about what goes against general consensus and (more so arbitrary here) is antagonistic.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't implying anything, by the way.

A scatter graph? 'Views' alone aren't anything, they only stand to be defined as someone perceives of them as 'this or that.' 'Views' can take on a markedly different meaning from context to context. Take 'black culture' - switch it and call it 'white culture' and you'll have a remarkably different response, albeit the same 'view.'

It's much the same with personality - people don't have a personality, their personality is what other's perceive it to be.

Perceptions are fluid, and change. 4 years ago, it was deemed 'racist' to even discuss immigration. Today, it's commonplace.
    No, personality isn't what others entirely perceive it to be.

Personality is like a set of characteristics, each with a certain meaning (which has a general consensus upon / sentiment behind it, anyway) , so you can attribute it to them, with some accuracy.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.