Turn on thread page Beta

B904 - Extending Freedom of Movement Bill 2015 watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Nay, for the following reasons:

1. I find the age restriction too limiting. 50, for example, is still over a decade and a half away from retirement. So, if someone is 55 years of age, and still able to work for more than 10 years, I don't see why they would be denied a Visa.

2. 1.3 rules out people who have taught themselves certain skills. In my friendship group alone, there are several people who are self-taught - graphic designers and programmers - and they are very much in demand, and earning good wages. Qualifications aren't the be all and end all of evidence that someone is skilled.

3. I find the BISOL list too restricting. For example, many an entrepreneur who might set up a successful business in the UK, and employ other people, might not have worked in any of those fields, yet be able to make a valuable contribution to the UK.

4. What is the vital BISOL list? This bill only offers the extended list.

5. The notes state that this bill does not affect people already in the UK. Yet, it gives points for military service? Isn't the military quite strict anyway about who gets to join? That's a bit confusing.

6. Section 3 is somewhat confusing in general, because it does seem to say that even EU members need to meet the qualifications in section 1 - be under 50 years of age, etc - they just don't need to score 75 points.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Nay, for the following reasons:

1. I find the age restriction too limiting. 50, for example, is still over a decade and a half away from retirement. So, if someone is 55 years of age, and still able to work for more than 10 years, I don't see why they would be denied a Visa.

2. 1.3 rules out people who have taught themselves certain skills. In my friendship group alone, there are several people who are self-taught - graphic designers and programmers - and they are very much in demand, and earning good wages. Qualifications aren't the be all and end all of evidence that someone is skilled.

3. I find the BISOL list too restricting. For example, many an entrepreneur who might set up a successful business in the UK, and employ other people, might not have worked in any of those fields, yet be able to make a valuable contribution to the UK.

4. What is the vital BISOL list? This bill only offers the extended list.

5. The notes state that this bill does not affect people already in the UK. Yet, it gives points for military service? Isn't the military quite strict anyway about who gets to join? That's a bit confusing.

6. Section 3 is somewhat confusing in general, because it does seem to say that even EU members need to meet the qualifications in section 1 - be under 50 years of age, etc - they just don't need to score 75 points.
    Not all EU members, just some, and some none EU too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is a bad thing because? Oh, I forgot about how increased demand doesn't put strain on services and push up house prices.
    It's just I'd rather it not done this way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Not all EU members, just some, and some none EU too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The way it is phrased isn't that clear, in my opinion.

Besides, the fact that it discriminates between countries in which freedom of movement applies will not go down well with the EU, of which we are a member.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The way it is phrased isn't that clear, in my opinion.

Besides, the fact that it discriminates between countries in which freedom of movement applies will not go down well with the EU, of which we are a member.
    Which the canon amendment makes a non issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The joys of working with politicians.

This is why I love Orwell.

Orwell's rules for good writing are familiar:
    Don't use secondhand metaphors, don't use long words where short ones will do, abbreviate, use the active not the passive and never use a foreign phrase when you can find an everyday alternative in English.

These are rules designed to communicate something other than the fact that the speaker is powerful enough to say what he or she likes.
    And it's far better than the complicated words that some of these politicians use consistently in their attempts to baffle and confuse us.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Which the canon amendment makes a non issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps. It does still make it extremely unrealistic, however. I mean, the bill doesn't even include Spain, or Italy, or Portugal...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Perhaps. It does still make it extremely unrealistic, however. I mean, the bill doesn't even include Spain, or Italy, or Portugal...
    The only reason not based on stereotype to exclude those also excludes most of the rest of Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Who is the author of the bill? Currently on the tsr app and the author isn't coming up as bills badly format on the app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by airmed)
    who is the author of the bill? Currently on the tsr app and the author isn't coming up as bills badly format on the app.

posted from tsr mobile
    tsr ukip

Edit - Okay, that was weird. I typed in caps, it showed as caps, I submit and it's all lower case...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Who is the author of the bill? Currently on the tsr app and the author isn't coming up as bills badly format on the app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just think your app is dodgy somehow, since this is not the first time you've had app issues.

Also, there is only one party it realistically could be anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This could work with non-EU migration, but any kind of restriction on EU migrants would breach articles 45 and 46 of the TFEU.

(Original post by Birchington)
    [field=B904 - Extending Freedom of Movement Bill 2015, TSR UKIP]2. This bill does not end Freedom of Movement in the EU. This bill introduces a tiered approach to EU an non-EU immigration in where nationals from the wealthiest EU countries and the wealthiest non-EU countries in the Anglosphere have freedom of movement in the UK after demonstrating efficiency in English.
    This bill does end freedom of movement. A tiered-system is inherently discriminatory, and discrimination violates the free movement of people within the EU. The ECJ would never allow it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    This could work with non-EU migration, but any kind of restriction on EU migrants would breach articles 45 and 46 of the TFEU.

This bill does end freedom of movement. A tiered-system is inherently discriminatory, and discrimination violates the free movement of people within the EU. The ECJ would never allow it
    TFEU isn't a problem

ReputationRep:
    TFEU isn't a problem
    Are we not bound by EU law in the MHOC?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    tsr ukip

Edit - Okay, that was weird. I typed in caps, it showed as caps, I submit and it's all lower case...
    That happens to me too.

I just think your app is dodgy somehow, since this is not the first time you've had app issues.

Also, there is only one party it realistically could be anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I reinstalled the app this evening as I had nothing else to do. Let's face it, JD, tsr hates me.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Recent legislation from UKIP have titles that sound like something from the Greens more than anyone else. Remnant of the coalition?

tsr ukip

I believe it's an automatic system by TSR to prevent "shouty" posts

(Original post by tengentoppa)
    Are we not bound by EU law in the MHOC?
    Canon amendment overrules everything irl. It seems pretty silly to be honest.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Recent legislation from UKIP have titles that sound like something from the Greens more than anyone else. Remnant of the coalition?

I believe it's an automatic system by TSR to prevent "shouty" posts

Canon amendment overrules everything irl. It seems pretty silly to be honest.
    If only we had a canon amendment IRL

ReputationRep:
    Working out what I would get, what is the maximum number of points, because even after getting my degree next year I will still be a bit short and that's without missing much.

Seems to basically say " be a white man from western Europe or one of the particularly white former colonies, or be a millionaire ".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically the immigration system that the Australians use. (Yes. Millionaires get exemption from entry requirements)
    But the Aussies might not be so racist anymore.
    Reading the bill is like reading D.J.Trumps campaign manual.
    I'm also confused, how does it do anything? You can't change a EU definition.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    Basically the immigration system that the Australians use. (Yes. Millionaires get exemption from entry requirements)
    But the Aussies might not be so racist anymore.
    Reading the bill is like reading D.J.Trumps campaign manual.
    I'm also confused, how does it do anything? You can't change a EU definition.
    we can change them, and is the Australian one that strict?

ReputationRep:
    we can change them, and is the Australian one that strict?
    Even more strict, there's a points test, medical checks, English checks, qualification checks, requires x years experience in work and said work must be on a limited skilled occupation list.(and be under 50, or 40 in most jobs)

Unless you buy about 900k worth of Australian government bonds and are worth over 2 million pounds. In which case you can get in no problems. (Invester visa (subclass 188)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.