Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White people are underrepresented in the American music industry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Top 40 music isn't decided by some sort of committee who tries to get equal racial representation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SYYAAM97)
    I dont get why drake and the weeknd etc... get classed as black when they are litterally half white half black.
    because they look more black than white

genetically, black features are more dominant than white features and although they are mixed they still appear black and identify themselves more that way as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george-90)
    Only blacks can be underrepresented. Other ethnic groups don't count.
    People seem to pretend mixed people don't exist, they might be uncomfortable with the idea or they're not used to it, so they decide to categorise them into one group.

ReputationRep:
    wo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HepaxLegomenon)
    People aren't used to the idea of race mixing? I don't know, it's existed for quite some time now.
    It's been a thing but it's not exactly common, according to the 2011 census only 1.98% classed themselves as mixed. Even if they are aware of mixed people, they assume biracial when they hear mixed.

ReputationRep:
    Even went through the hassle of doing such complex math equations such as 10 out of 20 = 50%, yes! I gathered all of this information and typed up all of my original post in less than an hour, it is by no means a proper investigation, for the lack of a better word. The point of this thread, or of any thread I should imagine, was to start conversation. As I wrote in response to someone else, I've not come to any conclusions myself on the topic, only gave people the space and information to come to their own.
    The point is you made the thread based on nothing other than what you counted on the billboard top 40, when to your own admission you knowingly omitted data. Why even ask the question? It had no basis to begin with.
    I have literally never heard of Indian people being stereotyped as terrorists. STRAW MAN ALERT.
    http://www.mtv.com/news/2718996/viol...n-for-muslims/
    https://www.rt.com/usa/326360-sikh-c...errorist-shot/
    http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...229-story.html

Unfortunately South Asians who dress a lil differently are not spared from the plight of "islamophobia" in the US.
    "Straw man alert" my ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    It's been a thing but it's not exactly common, according to the 2011 census only 1.98% classed themselves as mixed. Even if they are aware of mixed people, they assume biracial when they hear mixed.
    Who would want to identify as "mixed" tho? There isn't any real culture or identity with that word. Someone with Irish and Jamaican parents is just as "mixed" as someone with Chinese and Sri Laken parents but they aren't even gonna share many similar experiences to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    Who would want to identify as "mixed" tho? There isn't any real culture or identity with that word. Someone with Irish and Jamaican parents is just as "mixed" as someone with Chinese and Sri Laken parents but they aren't even gonna share many similar experiences to begin with.
    I define myself as mixed-other, my parents themselves are mixed (ethnically). I don't really share any sense of identity with people who look like me or people who's parents are mixed, I tend to relate to the people I've grown up with.

ReputationRep:
    HepaxLegomenon

I'll put it this way. Had you just asked the question and left it that, I wouldn't have begrudged you. But you went out of your way to list artists in your methodology in a very misleading fashion, seemingly in attempt to give your question credibility. It looks very sneaky.

ReputationRep:
    losers

ReputationRep:
    nk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I define myself as mixed-other, my parents themselves are mixed (ethnically). I don't really share any sense of identity with people who look like me or people who's parents are mixed, I tend to relate to the people I've grown up with.
    Well that's interesting. I'll just say in the case of the US. They had a practice called the one drop rule, in which anyone with recorded african ancestry would be classified as black. It's no longer law but it is still a part of their culture. And mixed race people are more welcome in the black community than they are among whites, so most will identify as black because that's the side they connect with more.
    I never 'omitted data' with intentions of leading a narrative in a certain direction,
    Well that's what you did whether it was your intentions or not.

Considering white people make up 72% of people in the US, unless 72% of people on that list were white, white people would still be technically underrepresented.
    According to the 2010's national consensus, non-hispanic whites are capped at 63%. There are currently 31 artists entered in the top 40 and 67% of them are white. I think you know what that means.

As for violence against Indian people, I skimmed those articles and it seems that no one in those cases committed violent acts on the basis that those people were Indian but rather on the basis that those people look like Muslims. And I can't imagine this happens on a large enough scale for you to say that Indian people are classed as terrorists in the US. What a quick assumption to make!
    Give the pedantry a rest. If a white man wore turban in america it would be dismissed as fashion statement. Nationality had everything to do with those hate crimes.

ReputationRep:
    ijpo

ReputationRep:
    This... is one of the biggest wastes of an OP's time I've come across yet

ReputationRep:
    I gave my sources in my original post. The census I took data from stated that 'the largest group reported white alone (223.6 million), accounting for 72 percent of all people living in the United States'. I didn't want to take data from a bunch of different censuses, just one to keep it nice and simple. As I stated earlier this wasn't near in depth research. Even going by your numbers white people are still underrepresented, whether that is a bad thing or not.
    We are using the same census...
    The source in the OP states that the non-hispanic white population is at 63%. The top 40 non-hispanic white demographic is at 67%. Even if we were to go by your number of 72%, a disparity as small as 5% doesn't say much with a sample size of 31 people and 40 entries... in one week of the year.

I only responded to your declaration that Indian people are classed as terrorists in America.
    Goodness. I was clearly being facetious with that statement. And you've taken it literally. Why? Can you not read queues? When Edward respond with "lol" you should have got the idea that it was hyperbole. You can't be that dense.

If a white man wore a turban perhaps some people would dismiss it as such, a large amount of people wouldn't care given turbans have little to do with ethnicity rather than ideology,
    You literally just made. You believe people would dismiss a white person with a turban because it has "little to do with ethnicity" and more to do with ideology. And yet it is only Indians with turbans who are being mistaken for muslism. Obviously because of the colour of their skin.

and perhaps a minority of people would find a way to make it seem racist. How can you make such radical generalisations on the opinions of a country 318.9 million people strong?
    Americans are not taught religious education with the thoroughness that the UK school system provides. Their are numerous cases where teachers have been fired, suspended and berated by parents for teaching students anything remotely islam related.

Does every single american mistake indians for muslims or even terrorists? Obviously not. The generalisation was referring to the evident phenomenon in America, of hysteria, fear and ignorance regarding the other. And by that I mean brown people, and religious groups from southern asia and the middle east.

You have Louisiana residents mistaking Hebrew “Welcome Home” sign as an ISIS threat.
    And you have a bunch hate crimes against sikhs and hindus as they are being mistaken for muslims, and the only reason they are being mistaken for muslims is because they have darker skin.

I shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you. It's off topic anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity I decided to google the top 40 at the moment in the US and figure out what percentage of artists/groups are black, white or other.

My findings (Only band/artist names are noted -- not the songs they are on the top 40 with):

Justin Bieber - white
    21 Pilots - white
    Rihanna - black
    Adele - white
    Flo Rida - black
    The Chainsmokers with Rozes - white and white
    Selena Gomez - hispanic
    Drake - black
    Alessia Cara - white
    Shawn Mendes - white
    G-eazy and Bebe Rexha - white and white
    The Weeknd - black
    Meghan Trainor and John Legend - white and black
    Bryson Tiller - black
    Post Malone - white
    Future - black
    Daya - asian

Note: Please forgive if I wrote the wrong ethnicity for a certain band or artist, I only googled it so I'm sure it's not completely correct. I do realise that there are one or two English artists in the list but I am using figures on population from a 2010 US census just to keep from complicating things.

So in conclusion:
    10 out of 20 white = 50%
    8 out of 20 black = 40%
    2 out of 20 other = 10%

Bearing in mind that the US is approximately 13% black and 72% white, and therefore 15% other, is it then fair to conclude that black people are over-represented and white people underrepresented in the American music industry?

Sources: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...b11-cn125.html and http://www.vmusic.com.au/charts/bill...les-chart.aspx
    So basically this is another dumb white genocide thread lol

ReputationRep:
    kpoew

ReputationRep:
    iioj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    This... is one of the biggest wastes of an OP's time I've come across yet
    I've never agreed so much with one sentence in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    No, white people are not underepresented in the American music industry.

Also, what you are referring to isn't really the American music industry anymore - it's a globalised field.

Country could be an American music industry. And I bet you'll find those demographics to be more "to your liking".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.