The Student Room Group

Do I Quit Computer Science GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachelod21
I had no choice though. My school left all the controlled assessments that are 50 hours long plus extra to the last minute. If you're saying you did them at home then u are going against the rules and could be disqualified from the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm happy we both got out of Computer Science. It seems that many schools have been failing in this subject. I am sad to say that I was actually excited in year 9 when the I.T teachers showed us a whole presentation on coding with popular celebrities, how cool computer science would be and how employers are looking for people who can code. Sadly these teachers did not deliver and I had to lose a whole GCSE.
The GCSE exams wasn't great (I'm referring to AQA B1) but I'm sure we can both be glad that we had that one less exam to worry about.
No drop! Worst subject, you have so many other subjects to prepare and learn for, 1 subject alone has so so so many topics!
Original post by cassandra2816
should i drop computer science? I have 11 gcses at the moment, but if i drop this then i will have 10. Is this a good idea? My predicted grade is a b, but i don't believe this at all. The exam board is ocr, and all the past papers we have done, i have only ever got around 30-45%, but my teacher labels them as a c. My whole class is still on the 1st controlled assessment from year 10, and now we are supposed to juggle two at the same time. My exams are in may, i also have to learn the theory part of computer science. How can i do this? I have one week to decide.

yo cassandra its rifat how ya doin
Original post by ultimateradman

and btw ur average point score is made up of your best 5 subjects
Original post by Federerr
Theory IMO doesn't have to much content. It just takes time to grab hold of the idea.

I've got the OCR computing revision guide and I do 1 page day. It takes only 20-45 minutes. So it's not even that much, I'll probably finish the revision real soon. Then just bang out exam papers.

I worked it out, I only need a solid A in my exam to get an A* overall in computing.

It's not that hard.

could u send the revision guide u use (the web link)

Hey Rifat, I'm doing okay now. A-levels are a struggle tho, especially physics and chemistry.
and btw ur average point score is made up of your best 5 subjects

It's your 8 best subjects.
Original post by Cassandra2816
Hey Rifat, I'm doing okay now. A-levels are a struggle tho, especially physics and chemistry.

AHA! A-levels, in thought u were doing gcses?
Reply 28
Just quit it gets way too hard. I would drop out if i could. Save yourself before its too late.:smile:
AHA! A-levels, in thought u were doing gcses?

I've done my GCSEs now and I have started A-levels at a different school. I got out of computer science after some meetings and letters from my mum. I'm happy I got rid of it.
B
Original post by Cassandra2816
I've done my GCSEs now and I have started A-levels at a different school. I got out of computer science after some meetings and letters from my mum. I'm happy I got rid of it.

You're me except im doing art, and the work is back breaking jesus! I cant revise for my mocks because trying to catch up on coursework.
looking at this thread reminds me of myself last year lol
I got Ds and Es in all my Computing mocks and I literally had no hope.
What made it worse was that I had 4 exams on the day we had our Computing exam (real one)
Miraculously, I ended up with an A lol (i srly dont know how that happened)

But OMG that ocr txtbook was USELESS!
good luck to those doing Computing GCSE (I'm with OCR)

You're right! Theory can be hard to get your head around but there isn't much of it! I finished my two courseworks really fast before anyone else in the school and only have 2 and half exam papers left before I'm done and so far have got an A* in all of them plus my teacher lets me teach a few computing lessons ! :-)
Original post by rayestar
What made it worse was that I had 4 exams on the day we had our Computing exam (real one)

What did you get overall?
Original post by Popsiclez

I got an A :biggrin:

Yh, that textbook was so bad. I remember one time when the teacher made us do an 'Open book practice test'. So she basically let us use the textbook to answer the exam questions. When we got our results I remember getting a C. Most got E or D even though we were using the textbook.

wbu?
I got an A :biggrin:

Well done :smile::clap2:
wbu?

I was meant to do it but wasnt let onto the course even though I was in a higher maths set than most of the people and already know how to program in Python and Lua, although the subject I have that will match the stress of computing is Art and Im still doing my GCSEs.

Art is such a horrible subject, should"ve just kept on doing it as a hobby.

Before the christmas holidays I lost my first sketchbook and was faced with the stress of being dropped, urgh the agony but I managed to find it again plus I had to keep on trying my hardest to fill up my other two sketchbook with the possible prospect I kay have never found my first one. We came back and we've started our exam sketchbook now, and so now I have to fill up that book (Which Im doing as were going along learning my lesson from coursework) . And also have to fill up my three other coursework books so thats 4 in total to worry about.

On top of that I meed to revise for my mocks next week but cant because my paintbrush is glued to my hand. Honestly Ill be happy with a C this subject just keeps me up at night. Although Im not alone in my class. Cant wait ti drop this subject at A Levels. Should've just chosen another option with litttle coursework and just exams.

Im just hoping on results day that Theres a lot of Grade inflation and manage a C or B, for Art.

Good news is finished my CA for Physics Chemistry and Biology though.
I was meant to do it but wasnt let onto the course even though I was in a higher maths set than most of the people and already know how to program in Python and Lua, although the subject I have that will match the stress of computing is Art and Im still doing my GCSEs.

Art is such a horrible subject, should"ve just kept on doing it as a hobby.

Before the christmas holidays I lost my first sketchbook and was faced with the stress of being dropped, urgh the agony but I managed to find it again plus I had to keep on trying my hardest to fill up my other two sketchbook with the possible prospect I kay have never found my first one. We came back and we've started our exam sketchbook now, and so now I have to fill up that book (Which Im doing as were going along learning my lesson from coursework) . And also have to fill up my three other coursework books so thats 4 in total to worry about.

On top of that I meed to revise for my mocks next week but cant because my paintbrush is glued to my hand. Honestly Ill be happy with a C this subject just keeps me up at night. Although Im not alone in my class. Cant wait ti drop this subject at A Levels. Should've just chosen another option with litttle coursework and just exams.

Im just hoping on results day that Theres a lot of Grade inflation and manage a C or B, for Art.

Good news is finished my CA for Physics Chemistry and Biology though.

aww u seem to hav so much stress! I really liked art too so I was gonna do it for gcse, but i realised that i didn't want to be 'forced' to draw, cos then i will eventually hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest