Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people understand how language works. If people use a word and it becomes a substantial part of dialect it's a word. Whether or not you like that word is irrelevant,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I don't think people understand how language works. If people use a word and it becomes a substantial part of dialect it's a word. Whether or not you like that word is irrelevant,.
    Yeah, but it's not exactly widespread, is it? I've never heard anyone use it in real life. Seems to be mainly used among extreme feminists on Twitter.

I guess, given the size of the dictionary, they have a low threshold for inclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Yeah, but it's not exactly widespread, is it? I've never heard anyone use it in real life. Seems to be mainly used among extreme feminists on Twitter.

I guess, given the size of the dictionary, they have a low threshold for inclusion.
    I like how extreme feminists are extreme for using words like "mansplaining" as apposed to say planting bombs in shopping centers.

My kind of extremism to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a social justice wizard :wizard2:
    All right Gandalf cam down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    All right Gandalf cam down.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I like how extreme feminists are extreme for using words like "mansplaining" as apposed to say planting bombs in chopping centers.

You're missing the point. Using the word doesn't make them extreme, it's just that for the most part, they're the only people who happen to use it.

I've also never heard it in real life, and for how widespread the phenomenon supposedly is, you'd think that a lot of people would be saying it all the time. But they're not, because people who aren't extreme feminists generally prefer terms that are better understood and not gendered in a deliberately confrontational way. They just call it "being condescending," and if you're about to accuse me of doing that then you should know that it's deliberate.

It's obviously not a substantial part of dialect for anyone but a small subculture of people.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    You're missing the point. Using the word doesn't make them extreme, it's just that for the most part, they're the only people who happen to use it.

I've also never heard it in real life, and for how widespread the phenomenon supposedly is, you'd think that a lot of people would be saying it all the time. But they're not, because people who aren't extreme feminists generally prefer terms that are better understood and not gendered in a deliberately confrontational way. They just call it "being condescending," and if you're about to accuse me of doing that then you should know that it's deliberate.

It's obviously not a substantial part of dialect for anyone but a small subculture of people.
    No. You're missing the point by a country mile. It is not extreme to talk about and think about feminism or gender relations in society. You guys are as bad as the thing you think you are rallying against. You are like a tumble feminist that throws their toys out the pram as soon as someone crosses into your "safe space", except you safe space is just different and "mansplaining" somehow threatens you and violates your safe space.

Yeah well I also don't hear all the crying about feminism in real life either. So why don't you all just shut it ok?

I'm pretty sure Fullofsurprises accused me of mansplaining when I told her she was wrong about game of thrones being a pro aristocracy fiction. Soznotsoz :fuhrer:

I wouldn't say she is extreme. She is just someone on the internet talking about things.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    You're right.
    Wait wut? A biologist got a physics joke? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No. You're missing the point by a country mile. It is not extreme to talk about and think about feminism or gender relations in society. You guys are as bad as the thing you think you are rallying against. You are like a tumble feminist that throws their toys out the pram as soon as someone crosses into your "safe space", except you safe space is just different and "mansplaining" somehow threatens you and violates your safe space.

Yeah well I also don't hear all the crying about feminism in real life either. So why don't you all just shut it ok?
    I really don't know what the **** you're on about here. I haven't actually said anything other than that "mansplaining" is not a commonly used word, and that I don't necessarily think it should be. Quite how you have interpreted that to mean that I'm threatened by it, and implying that I'm threatened by feminism in general, I have absolutely no idea. I assume it's because you're just as uncomfortable with nuance as the average anti-immigration kid, but I don't know why that's such a pervasive theme on here.

I'm pretty sure Fullofsurprises accused me of mansplaining when I told her she was wrong about game of thrones being a pro aristocracy fiction. Soznotsoz :fuhrer:

I wouldn't say she is extreme. She is just someone on the internet talking about things.
    It seems to me that the only possible time the word would be useful is to describe a man were trying to explain a woman's perspective, to a woman. The trouble is it's not a very elegant way to arrange your vocabulary, because then you also need to have less catchy terms to describe essentially the same thing like cissplaining, straightsplaining, whitesplaining, asiansplaining, adultsplaining and nativesplaining. Using it in a discussion about a TV show is just ridiculous, and you may as well just use it whenever a man disagrees with a woman.

The word is less useful than other words we already have (especially when you use it in arguments over TV). It's only "USP" as it were, is that it is confrontational and supposedly makes men feel uncomfortable. That is why, for the most part only extreme feminists use it. I can't speak to whether your friend is "extreme" or not, but she doesn't sound like the kind of person I would talk about TV with.

ReputationRep:

I can't speak to whether your friend is "extreme" or not, but she doesn't sound like the kind of person I would talk about TV with.
    That's a shame, because I like talking about TV shows. :teehee:

I already did a thread on mansplaining (and manspreading).
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3788499

There was a lot of agreement that it's a real thing. (Well, maybe from women. :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    if it's at no point painful, it's a mank.

if it has crisps in, it's a manwich.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I like how extreme feminists are extreme for using words like "mansplaining" as apposed to say planting bombs in shopping centers.

Physical extremism is the only way one can be extreme x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    That's a shame, because I like talking about TV shows. :teehee:

I already did a thread on mansplaining (and manspreading).
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3788499

There was a lot of agreement that it's a real thing. (Well, maybe from women. :lol:)
    Ummmmmm.... "a lot of agreement??" Did you link the wrong thread by accident? In the one you linked there are two pages of responses from trolls and people throwing out one liners while you insist it's definitely a real thing, then there's one solitary serious response from a woman who says it's sort of a thing but not really. She also expresses the same thing I did - that the word you've chosen is not really the best way to describe the phenomenon. After that the conversation gets derailed to "manspreading" before I end the debate by pointing out that the thread was started by someone who is completely out of touch with reality. Case in point, really.

ReputationRep:
    tumblr is a cancer to the human race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    tumblr is a cancer to the human race
    Couldnt have said it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    Ummmmmm.... "a lot of agreement??" Did you link the wrong thread by accident? In the one you linked there are two pages of responses from trolls and people throwing out one liners while you insist it's definitely a real thing, then there's one solitary serious response from a woman who says it's sort of a thing but not really. She also expresses the same thing I did - that the word you've chosen is not really the best way to describe the phenomenon. After that the conversation gets derailed to "manspreading" before I end the debate by pointing out that the thread was started by someone who is completely out of touch with reality. Case in point, really.
    I accept it may not have been the busiest or best thread I ever started. :blush:

I still think that mansplaining is an all too common real world phenomenon though and one that not enough women make a stand against, although I also see examples around of women getting annoyed by it and showing that they are annoyed. It is very pervasive - loads of guys think, consciously or otherwise, that us little females need a lot of extra explanations about stuff. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Physical extremism is the only way one can be extreme x.
    It isn't even extreme from that perspective. Like, what planet are you guys living on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I accept it may not have been the busiest or best thread I ever started. :blush:

I still think that mansplaining is an all too common real world phenomenon though and one that not enough women make a stand against, although I also see examples around of women getting annoyed by it and showing that they are annoyed. It is very pervasive - loads of guys think, consciously or otherwise, that us little females need a lot of extra explanations about stuff. :rolleyes:
    To clarify, I'm not saying there isn't a phenomenon that could be described as "mansplaining." I'm saying that, purely from a linguistic point of view it's clumsy, politicised in a deliberately confrontational way, and not particularly descriptive, and easy to use inaccurately. For this reason, it's only used by a small subculture of feminists. Whether it's in the OED or not, I don't really care. Its "widespread usage" was really the only thing the conversation was about when I joined in.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    To clarify, I'm not saying there isn't a phenomenon that could be described as "mansplaining." I'm saying that, purely from a linguistic point of view it's clumsy, politicised in a deliberately confrontational way, and not particularly descriptive, and easy to use inaccurately. For this reason, it's only used by a small subculture of feminists. Whether it's in the OED or not, I don't really care. Its "widespread usage" was really the only thing the conversation was about when I joined in.
    There seem to be two usages of the word.

1) To describe chauvinists who belittle women and talk to them patronizingly.
    2) A way to easily and intellectually dishonestly dismiss men who make points because it's believed they can't possibly comment upon certain issues. It's much easier to accuse someone of mansplaining than to engage in debate with them. I've mainly seen usage 2.

But I still stand it's sexist. And incredibly hypocritical of a movement which previously complained about the OED being sexist. See: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6832911.html. For having definitions like

rabid
    having or proceeding from an extreme or fanatical support of or belief in something: a rabid feminist
    ChaoticButterfly perhaps it's an exaggeration to view it as sexist but I doubt such a patronizing term would be allowed if directed toward the other gender.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. Since when has being patronising and condescending been an exclusively male trait?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.