Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does money buy you happiness? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a tool you could use to achieve happiness

like for instance giving to charity may make you happy, and having more money will allow you to give more to charity = happiness

ReputationRep:
    Yes, to an extent though.

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse it does, this isnt even a question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    Obtaining Material items and luxury goods has little to do with it. What makes wealth precious is the freedom and privilege it provides.
    So freedom is only for the wealthy and happiness a privilege the majority will never be blessed with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    So freedom is only for the wealthy and happiness a privilege the majority will never be blessed with?
    Yes.

This is the state of affairs in the capitalist West.

Either you bend knee and worship at the Temple of the Almighty Dollar, or suffer a miserable and painful existence.

ReputationRep:
    No, in my life experience i can say that money does not make you happy because one has little or nothing to do with the other.

Happiness comes from within. Its foundations are built from the very day you are born, through childhood and the earlier part of your life.

If that base structure isnt well founded and of sound material then the rest of your life is likely to be fraught will all manner of difficulties be it personality defects, behavioural and psychological issues etc etc.

Sure it is a lot better to be wealthy and miserable than poor and miserable but that isnt the same as happiness.

The average Brit is relatively poor but plenty of them are perfectly happy with their lives and their lot.

So do not think that the acquisition of material wealth brings happiness.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does - anyone who says it doesn't is just purely in denial. I mean, it won't AUTOMATICALLY make you happy - but having a large house, expensive car, luxury holidays is definitely going to make you happier than living in a council house, with no car and a treat to Pontins now and again. Who knows? It's down to the person and their social lives, rather than the money they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Freedom is the ability to choose where you want to live, what you want to do how you want to do it. Wealth can also provide some measure of security. Privilege is access to the people, institutions, and opportunities that can help you achieve your goals. Money is the one common denominator necessary to achieve these things. So yes.

ReputationRep:
    some people say it's folly... but i'd rather have the lolly

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you define 'happiness'. I'm happy when I'm reading a good book or spending time with my loved ones. It's nice to be comfortable, but I don't need to be 'rich' to get this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. Money can ya a crap ton of the opposite sex (for sex), clothes, objects, pay off bills and yadda yadda but not an emotion.
    Happiness is an emotion and can be trigger by multiple factors. You can be happy then sad the next. I like to believe humans can make other humans happy like love and friendships and stuff like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.