Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm planning to make my dog go vegan with me. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)
    Vegan is actually a good way to feed your dog. I read a couple of testimonials and the dogs are super energetic and shiny, in fact many vets recommend a vegan diet.
    it's really not!! if you're going vegan to help animals, hurting the animal closest to you isn't going to help
    it's not impossible to keep them healthy, but it's a really serious risk that's definitely not worth taking and they won't be happy
    no vet will recommend it, some may tolerate it, but only if the diet is really carefully managed which will take a lot of time and effort

ReputationRep:
    Vegan is actually a good way to feed your dog. I read a couple of testimonials and the dogs are super energetic and shiny, in fact many vets recommend a vegan diet.
    Where have you read these testimonials a completely unbiased source?
    Most vets agree that while dogs can survive without meat it is not a good idea to do as it can be hard to avoid malnutrition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    it's really not!! if you're going vegan to help animals, hurting the animal closest to you isn't going to help
    it's not impossible to keep them healthy, but it's a really serious risk that's definitely not worth taking and they won't be happy
    no vet will recommend it, some may tolerate it, but only if the diet is really carefully managed which will take a lot of time and effort
    I just cannot embark on my newfound ethical lifestyle by cutting up other animals and feeding them to my dog. It's hypocritical imo, the alternative would be to give my dog up but I cannot bring myself to do that as I love him too much.

Dogs are omnivores and will survive on a plant based diet. In fact many of the commercially sold dog foods are made up of animals that were not fit for Human consumption i.e. Dead, Dying, Diseasd and/or Disabled. Why would you feed your dog diseased or rotten processed animal flesh?

ReputationRep:
    I just cannot embark on my newfound ethical lifestyle by cutting up other animals and feeding them to my dog. It's hypocritical imo, the alternative would be to give my dog up but I cannot bring myself to do that as I love him too much.

Dogs are omnivores and will survive on a plant based diet. In fact many of the commercially sold dog foods are made up of animals that were not fit for Human consumption i.e. Dead, Dying, Diseasd and/or Disabled. Why would you feed your dog diseased or rotten processed animal flesh?

no, it's not hypocritical in the slightest
    the thing with humans eating meat is that we don't need to - we can easily get all the nutrients we need without it
    dogs can't
    it's the food chain, they should be eating meat, there's nothing wrong about it
    if anything, disrupting that and not giving your dog meat is unethical

you cannot trust individual success stories because
    1. dogs are different and will adapt differently
    2. you don't know if they're even true
    3. all the sources I can find supporting it are completely biased

why would you feed your dog that? because it keeps him happy and healthy
    why wouldnt you? because you think you can compare a human's dietary needs to a dog's
    he will not be able to get enough protein from worms in the garden

if you really do love your dog, don't do that to him

ReputationRep:
    Salty blood mouths all over this thread

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian, but my dog isn't. She eats dog food because she needs it to be healthy. A dog needs to consume meat to be healthy in a way that humans don't. I feed my dog a diet to maximise her health and wellbeing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Feeding a vegan diet to a carnivorous animal? I hope you're trolling otherwise you've got a very poor understanding of how diets work.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Does anyone have any good ideas on how to transition a lab from meat to vegan?

I'm planning to try a 30 day vegan diet before I decide I want to go vegan and who better than to motivate me with sticking to the diet than having my dog go vegan with me. But I wasn't so sure on where to begin.
    pets.webmd.com/features/vegetarian-diet-dogs-cats

(Original post by jamiehiston)
    great question! I would suggest waiting until you no longer wish to have a living dog
    This made me :rofl:

Although I was going to suggest the same thing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    What's your dog's opinion on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Feeding a vegan diet to a carnivorous animal? I hope you're trolling otherwise you've got a very poor understanding of how diets work.
    Dogs are omnivores, If humans can thrive on a vegan diet so can dogs
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, dogs are carnivorous animals.

ReputationRep:
    Dogs are adaptable carnivores.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.