The Student Room Group

Should Torrenting should be legal?

Scroll to see replies

Only if you agree that anybody who torrents illegal stuff puts a sign in their window and everybody else is then entitled to come into their house and remove any item that they fancy to take home and use.

It is quite simple

People create intellectual copyright ( books, films, music etc) to make a living
You are denying them a living because you are stealing it
I generally buy things like video games.

Stuff like Word or Matlab I torrent. I'm not paying £100+ for flipping software. Anyway, those things means I can work at home on my programming, society gets a better physicist. Software and IT industry is full of people who learned their trade on pirated software as kids. Also some TV shows. I don't like how you have of have load of different subscriptions for everything. If it isn't on Netflix or SKY box then it is to the pirate bay!

Original post by the bear
so would you go to McDonalds and help yourself to a Big Mac & fries ... after all they should be shared ?

can you copy and paste a Big Mac?

If we had a magic machine where we only had to make one Bog Mac and then "uploaded" that Big Mac that the machine duplicated a million times over I'd say everyone should have free Big Macs. No more hunger.
(edited 8 years ago)
It shouldn't be legal, no. People have a huge sense of entitlement to things. We think everything should be accessible to us, even though all creative works have people behind them (people who don't always get paid the amount you might think). We should pay for the media we consume or borrow from libraries/subscribe to streaming services. If we all torrent and people don't receive pay for the work they do we'll all be complaining when those works stop being created because they aren't providing a living for people.
Original post by ivybridge
It shouldn't be legal, no.

why?
Original post by Zargabaath
why?

sorted
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BlackSweetness
I personally torrent everything, from music, to movies, to engineering books (yes you can get really good books) to even microsoft word.
My question is to the people of TSR, do you Torrent? And do you think it should be made Legal?

Torrenting is legal.

Torrenting copyrighted material is not.
Original post by Zargabaath
why?

For more or less all the reasons others have already put down.
Original post by ivybridge
For more or less all the reasons others have already put down.

even in the case of legal file sharing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Torrenting isn't illegal, it's only illegal if you're using it to obtain materials you don't own. If you're asking whether that should be legal... no, but the punishments for illegal torrenting are absolutely absurd and very few policy-makers seem to be listening to anybody's views on the matter other than lobbyists for large corporations. There are clear reasons why people torrent and until policy-makers take these into account and force media-companies to join the 21st Century, illegal torrenting is going to continue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko

sorted

I would if I could switch on my 3D printer print one out lol
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I generally buy things like video games.

Stuff like Word or Matlab I torrent. I'm not paying £100+ for flipping software. Anyway, those things means I can work at home on my programming, society gets a better physicist. Software and IT industry is full of people who learned their trade on pirated software as kids. Also some TV shows. I don't like how you have of have load of different subscriptions for everything. If it isn't on Netflix or SKY box then it is to the pirate bay!

can you copy and paste a Big Mac?

If we had a magic machine where we only had to make one Bog Mac and then "uploaded" that Big Mac that the machine duplicated a million times over I'd say everyone should have free Big Macs. No more hunger.

I 100% agree on your comment regarding software!
Reply 31
Not everyone (especially not for profit organisations / universities) can afford the bandwidth costs of a dedicated file server. P2P allows large, free files such as linux ISOs to be distributed, game updates to be fast, Gig/Terabytes' worth of scientific data to be shared, high resolution pictures of earth to be shared. The cost of bandwidth and server hosting is unaffordable for most people and P2P is a free and effective way to facilitate it.
Original post by SemperLiber
I torrent a lot of stuff, although I also buy a lot of stuff.

I buy a lot of games on steam, or g2a because it's cheaper, also have spotify, netflix and crunchyroll.

I mostly torrent things that I can't get in the UK, or games that I probably won't play much / might really suck. A lot of TV shows, America gets them before here, so I just download them to get them early.

But should it be legal? Definitely not.

I dont have the gutts anymore you can do serious time in prison for that. I even heard of one guy being extradited to America to serve time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do it quite a lot.
Should it be legal? Hmm not really. But if I didn't torrent I would have to wait months for a show to come out instead of watching it live (Depends what time, im not gonna wait until 3am to watch it,) or the next day, (Well the same but over 12 hours usually.)
I 100% agree on your comment regarding software!

I will mention that to my mate who's company went bust and left him with no redundancy payment after their software was ripped off by people like you

What do you do/intend to do for a living .
Hopefully, some idiot will wreck your employment due to selfishness
Original post by domonict
I will mention that to my mate who's company went bust and left him with no redundancy payment after their software was ripped off by people like you

What do you do/intend to do for a living .
Hopefully, some idiot will wreck your employment due to selfishness

Electrical engineering! Hoping to work as a plant manager, so doubt that will ever happen!
In seriousness, i do feel sorry for your friend, but arent there things that can be put in place to limit illegal file sharing. Things like microsoft word are harder to obtain through torrenting which does deter quite a few people!
Original post by Superhotfire
I dont have the gutts anymore you can do serious time in prison for that. I even heard of one guy being extradited to America to serve time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cant be serious? People
In the UK dont go to jail for torrenting, i have teachers and i know police men who torrent'!
Your mostly like talking about people who share Vasts amount of Copyrighted property!
You cant be serious? People
In the UK dont go to jail for torrenting, i have teachers and i know police men who torrent'!
Your mostly like talking about people who share Vasts amount of Copyrighted property!

You can go to jail for it look it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Superhotfire

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're just downloading software/games/music for personal use, the likelihood of you getting punished is very, very slim.
Reply 39
Why would you think you have a right to someone's art for free

Quick Reply

Latest