Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all intellectuals,nerds and genius guys out there Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kyx)
    If you could research negative gravity? See if it is plausible.

If it is, you will have to draw a graph to show it. (Have to).
    Okey dokes.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Okey dokes.
    I like this

I'm the leader of a research group
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I like this

I'm the leader of a research group
    Kyx et al. (2016)

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Kyx et al. (2016)
    I have already updated my socratic profile:

http://socratic.org/users/kyx

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I have created a group, and will invite you to it once it has been approved.

Go dark energy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady2.0)
    TSR,I have been wondering of doing a research on something,creat my own law perhaps like how great scientists like Newton and Einstein did.So I was wondering what has not yet being discovered or explained well so as can make my move on it,any ideas on any work?
    Well, you could take an industrial process and find a way to improve it. For instance, I recently found (proved that it works too) a way to essentially "short circuit" combustion reactions, allowing you to bypass the endothermic processes involved in converting triplet oxygen to singlet oxygen and the whole endothermic formation of a hydroxyl radical by hydrogen abstraction. This allows you to reach higher temperatures during the reaction so more complete combustion occurs and you get waaay more energy out!

You could do something like this. If you do, the best way to start is by taking a good look at the reaction mechanism and identifying the inefficient steps. Then you can find ways to avoid or replace these.

The 'graviton'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    OK, so. There are two possibilities:

a) Gravity can only be positive. In this case the dark energy is not part of gravity. This means that there must be something else accelerating the expansion of the universe. It is this we need to find.
    b) Gravity can become negative at large separations. We need to find evidence for this, as well as equations, and find out how/why etc.

I am assuming part a). In this case, it could merely be down to the Uncertainty Principle, meaning that it is not possible to measure anything exactly, due to random fluctuations. Or it could be something else. I am currently trying to think about what else could cause this.
    Sorry to rain on your parade but...

Gravity has no repulsive behavior, it is an entirely attractive force so I'm confused as to how there would be a "negative gravity," as this implies that it causes repulsion between bits of matter.

The celebrated Heisenberg uncertainty principle deals with the precision of measured values for a pair of complementary physical properties of a particle when you are trying to measure both simultaneously. The most common would be position and momentum, but there are others as well. I think you've gotten it a bit confused with the observer effect, which is easy to do.

The difference is that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle describes a fundamental property of all quantum systems (and is in fact involved in the properties of all wave-like systems, classical or quantum), it arises because of the wave-particle nature of quantum systems, though it was originally introduced as a way of explaining the uncertainty in measurements of quantum systems. You'll most often see it written as: "the standard deviation in position multiplied by the standard deviation in momentum is greater than or equal to h-bar (plank's constant divided by 2 pi) divided by 2."

The observer effect states that whenever a measurement is made, you have affected the system so the result you get will never be the actual value. As you can see, the two are similar but not the same.

Again, sorry to put a downer on this. It's important that you get used to this criticism though, as the peer review process is fundamental in validating research/results.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Sorry to rain on your parade but...

Gravity has no repulsive behavior, it is an entirely attractive force so I'm confused as to how there would be a "negative gravity," as this implies that it causes repulsion between bits of matter.

The celebrated Heisenberg uncertainty principle deals with the precision of measured values for a pair of complementary physical properties of a particle when you are trying to measure both simultaneously. The most common would be position and momentum, but there are others as well. I think you've gotten it a bit confused with the observer effect, which is easy to do.

The difference is that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle describes a fundamental property of all quantum systems (and is in fact involved in the properties of all wave-like systems, classical or quantum), it arises because of the wave-particle nature of quantum systems, though it was originally introduced as a way of explaining the uncertainty in measurements of quantum systems. You'll most often see it written as: "the standard deviation in position multiplied by the standard deviation in momentum is greater than or equal to h-bar (plank's constant divided by 2 pi) divided by 2."

The observer effect states that whenever a measurement is made, you have affected the system so the result you get will never be the actual value. As you can see, the two are similar but not the same.

Again, sorry to put a downer on this. It's important that you get used to this criticism though, as the peer review process is fundamental in validating research/results.
    Yes, the observer effect is part of it.

But I didn't explain my reasoning for picking that, which is based upon the uncertainty principle.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I have come up with a third option:

It could just be caused by gravitational waves with a really long wavelength, very small frequency, and large intensity. Caused by the big bang?

Peroxidation ?

ReputationRep:
    Genius I am indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Genius I am indeed.
    Want to help? (And follow?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Want to help? (And follow?)

Not really my subject I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Not really my subject I'm afraid.
    OK. You could still search for stuff and send me the links

ReputationRep:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill...Prize_Problems Have a look at these, most are unanswered problems in maths but some are in theoretical physics.

ReputationRep:
    Why does cheap white wine taste awful but cheap red wine always taste fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    OK. You could still search for stuff and send me the links
    I'd join too, except all I know about the uncertainty principle and other stuff comes from A Brief History of Time (in which I only understood about 20% of what happened, maybe less).

Either way, I'm willing to lend a hand if I'm able to.

ReputationRep:
    Is this thread srs?

ReputationRep:
    History will look back at this thread as the start of a science revolution

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    I'd join too, except all I know about the uncertainty principle and other stuff comes from A Brief History of Time (in which I only understood about 20% of what happened, maybe less).

Either way, I'm willing to lend a hand if I'm able to.
    If you want to research into the properties of dark energy, that'll be great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.