Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    80- 'all the work tomorrow'

A C3 paper, C4 paper and some econ articles before I had to learn my speech and then go out for a family birthday dinner. That was nowhere near as much as I had planned, but I'm scheduled to be busy til Tuesday lunch...

79- What these Ithakas mean

Absolutely no chance of getting any revision done today, though I could have got something done in my maths lesson given most of it was without work or a teacher present. Ah well. I've only just got home after a long presentation evening, and with a FUN-damental particles test tomorrow morning I simply haven't had time to revise even that topic. Fortunately I've gained some study periods after that- I should get on with at least one of my revision books.

It's easy to be insular when you consider your revision. Do not underestimate the potential of including your friends- can you test each other, compete with each other?

ReputationRep:
    78- My revision books

After I finally managed to find some spare time and get a decent amount done today, I thought I'd go through the exact structure of my revision books.

I'm creating the sections as I go, but each subject has its own book (or for geog, set of books). Then, from the specification, I take each sub-section of each paper and give each topic a double-page spread. In my essay-based subjects (Econ & Geog), I'll quote the piece of the specification at the top of the page, then write as much as I can to satisfy what's set out in the spec. In the sciences (Maths & Phys), I reference each numbered part of the specification and again, write what the spec dictates.

If there's any space left on the right hand page, then I'll use it to annotate the section with any tricky/unique past paper questions related to the topic- this is more relevant for the sciences than essay-based subjects.

(picture won't upload but I'll try again later)

Then after that, I'll add anything else that I need to know or that is better learned separately, such as econ diagrams, geog case study facts or maths identities (that aren't in the booklets). It should also be good for keeping the more formal past papers I do closer to the time, especially as I move back from writing notes to typing answers.

Try to see if you can distinguish different parts of what you need to revise. Are there some facts/items you simply need to know and recall? Flashcards. Do you need to make connections? Acronyms. (not sure of a third one )
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    77- Third's the charm

No spare time to revise today with hockey & a lack of study periods, but I should have plenty of time tomorrow with an entire afternoon off. Otherwise I've been plugging through some FP1 matrices (frustrating) and the Common Agricultural Policy for ECON4 (not frustrating).

The whiteboard I ordered should arrive soon...

ReputationRep:
    76-Persistent desistance

It's the same problems that bugged me last year. Back again. I've been free since midday today, but since I have no scheduled work due in for the rest of the week I've struggled with motivation again. I've tried staring at the study planner, I've tried scheduling it in more detail, and even when I can do things like printing out some notes on Katrina or reviewing parts of C4, it never lasts.

I need to find a way, either forcing myself to either stay at school to work or making these study sessions more flexible with my timetable. The end of this 4-week half-of-term is badly needed.

Work out which revision location works best for you. It might be that different learning styles suit different locations. Will you remember words spoken aloud if you're pacing up and down a corridor or sat at a desk? Experiment now to benefit later.

ReputationRep:
    4 day megapost!

75, 74 - nope, don't really know what happened here

73- I try to do an ECON3 timed past paper. And fail miserably.

72- Tomorrow will be a better day

Nothing went right today- and that's worse when you consider it's a day with no time for revision. Combine surprise physics tests, excruciating econ lessons and off-spec C3 papers and you have my Monday. Ah well- we've finished M2. :woo:

Off-spec (and different board) papers, specifically in Maths, aren't all that bad. They could teach you a vital skill your own course might omit.

ReputationRep:
    71- And so the planning begins- for the second year

It was one of the more sporadic planning moments in my revision. Sat in an end-of-the-line Physics lesson where the teacher had set yet another paper I had already done, I decided to make lists of all the past papers from June 2010, and work out which ones I'd done already, to try and optimise my revision from papers later on. It was actually quite surprising how many we'd already used.

I need to get back into writing the revision books again.

I also have C3 and C4 mocks next week, lovingly timed either side of my Warwick post-offer open day.

Write on post-it notes after you peel them off, to reduce the chance that they'll fold back on themselves.

ReputationRep:
    70- Whiteboard!

It arrived! But now I'm not too sure what to do with it. I've listed out everything I need to do for this week and the next on one side, but the other is resolutely blank. It's good to be able to look over from my desk at work and revision I need to do rather than having it in a notebook- I definitely think it helps with keeping me from procrastinating. Was tricky trying to get it home in the rain though.

69- More on matrices

'The thing about textbook exercises on matrices is that they can be a bit repetitive'- coming from the student who just misread two questions for the ones above and decided to write a blog post about it.

These are tricky, not least because we're now racing through the module to finish ASAP- 3x3 inverses tomorrow, then hopefully onto summations next week.

As a whole, in terms of GYG and revision, everything's coming along okay.

(technique more suited to GCSE students) Try blitzing your way through a couple of topics on a whiteboard- write down as much as you know for as long as you can, then fill in any gaps in a different colour. Repeat until there are no gaps.

ReputationRep:
    68- The matrix has crashed

(or, we're not doing 3x3s til next week)

Began typing physics papers today- slightly tricky jumping between paper and screen this often...

67- Chi Squared Nightmares

What even is this test? Okay, I know we won't have to actually calculate it in the exam, but the expected values seem to be anything you pluck out of thin air and theory before you actually do the fieldwork. Good, then, when you did the fieldwork a year and a half ago. But this does mean we're nearly at the end of the tedious GEOG4A...

66-C3C3C3C3C3C3C3C3C3C3C3C3

Am I capable of integrating 1/x ? Probably, but even so I've been making flashcards for the crucial parts of both C3 and C4- trig identities, double angle formulae, important diff/int general solutions and so on. It's also been important in this short space of time not to just romp through papers- those are for Easter- but to focus on the areas I need to improve on the most- or where I've forgotten something silly like du/dx instead of dx/du.

No tip this time...

ReputationRep:
    65-it went okay

Devious OCR examiners trying to fool me with their equations where f(x)=x... they weren't successful.

It's a Monday today, so no daytime time for revision, but tonight I managed to strengthen some of the medical physics topics from G485- including the process and exact terms for MRI, which has thrown up generous 10 mark questions in the past.

Flashcards work. They really do. I can't believe how much I got through for that C3 mock on the back of flashcards. Use them.

ReputationRep:
    64- 1h + 1h30m C3 paper = ridiculously terrible mistakes

59/72 in a C3 mock. Yes, its an A, but its not near the 90 cutoff I need for the *. Tried to get some of the Tectonic case studies in order- having a textbook with little details from every eruption of Etna and not a single event isn't helpful. Eyjafjallajokull it is then.

63- don't try to revise while tired

*i was at warwick lets just skip this one okay* - tried some C4 but the undulating road wasn't playing ball

62- I can C4 possible outcomes- all bad

The lack of revision time I gave myself may have played a part in this one. From the simple area of the triangle to never dealing with the root of 2+a, it didn't go well at all. Hopefully I'll find out sooner rather than later.

The only relative upside to today is plenty of free time- one more econ essay before easter, but otherwise I'm planning for the start of revision proper on Sunday.

Stretch and challenge questions (typically physics for me) can catch you off-guard. Try and identify these in past papers so you can see them coming in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    61- C4....5.../72 (and end of term)

It's something to build on and let's not say a word more. 4 papers in C3/C4 and 6 in M2 to do over easter- It's time to get on with it.

60- tidy, rework, (doodle on the whiteboard) :bebored:

Nothing today apart from building up for day 59 with each piece of revision to be done- and on from that:

59- okay, let's go

I've already spoken about the TSR revision planner in terms of my scheduling, but for the work I actually want to do; I want to get the note-making section of my revision out of the way before day 50, before diving into papers as soon as possible. Some subjects, like geog, will be focused more on notes since we've done several of the past papers already in lessons. Others, like physics and maths, are almost entirely papers to try and get used to the variations in difficulty between the years, or some particularly tricky questions.

I also need to recap the whole of EWAP. :zomg:

(ridiculously off-topic and probably way-too-specific tip) Selective printing in essay-based subjects (looking at you GEOG1) will save paper and printing time...

ReputationRep:
    What happened to this brilliant blog?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.