Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    yeah but why buddhism and not another religion (or none)? how do you pick a religion without evidence being the deciding factor? 'eenie meenie miney mo'?
    Well, I was born into a Buddhist family first of all so I didn't really pick it. In my mind, a supreme being that created this universe doesn't make sense so I don't believe in God.

I do believe that are higher beings than us called gods (we call them devas) and they're in a better place than us but are still suffering. We pay our respects and we sometimes pray to them as well if we need support.

There was a time in my life where I considered atheism but I find the idea of devas not existing very difficult and a bit frightening.

I hope this answered your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Have you read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse?
    I don't think so! Is it a good read?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    r u white
    Nah

I think people from the West usually go for the Mahayana branch, not sure why though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousduck)
    I want to be a Buddhist, where is a place I can go for more information??
    Have you tried visiting your nearest Buddhist temple? You can speak to someone about it and maybe watch some sermons over there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm a zen Buddhist, which as many would know is a school of Mahayana though is unique enough to be called its own I'll gladly help in aswering any questions.

And DesicatedWizard, Namaste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    r u white
    She just said she's of Sri Lankan origin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    She just said she's of Sri Lankan origin
    ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louissmith501)
    Hey everyone, I'm a zen Buddhist, which as many would know is a school of Mahayana though is unique enough to be called its own I'll gladly help in aswering any questions.

And DesicatedWizard, Namaste.
    Thank you for stopping by!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousduck)
    I want to be a Buddhist, where is a place I can go for more information??
    Study a fair bit first and foremost, what I hate is the idea that Buddhism is being made into some hippie new age sort of thing and I'm against that, but that's personal ranting.
    From my perspective sit down and practice zazen, Zen Buddhism is the practice of Zazen, ultimately it all boils down to that from a zen perspective. Then you should get a teacher, or some good books, one I would highly recommend is "Zen mind beginner's mind" by Suzuki, don't worry it's not a cult book but a brilliant intro to Zen Buddhism.
    And of course going to the temple or talking with other buddhist helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    yeah but why buddhism and not another religion (or none)? how do you pick a religion without evidence being the deciding factor? 'eenie meenie miney mo'?
    Hope you don't mind me butting in, I'm a Buddhist as well but down the school of Mahayana Buddhism (specifically Zen)

I was drawn to Buddhism many years ago rather than any other religion because I just cannot personally fathom the idea of a God. There are many many personal reasons for my choice of the Buddhist faith, but that is probably the biggest reason that I would not have turned to other religion.

Many people I know assumed that the Buddha is the 'God' of this faith, but he never claimed to be but he did not claim to be a god or a prophet. He was a human being who became Enlightened, understanding life in the deepest way possible. It is from this point that Buddhism centres, and while the general statement that Buddhism is about following his example and teachings is correct, there are many different schools of this following. For example, some people believe that you can achieve Enlightenment in this lifetime, some believe it can only be believed after death, some believe that a being will be re-born until it finds Enlightenment and so on.

I find that the Buddhist faith is quite personal to every individual, though there is of course an underlying belief that groups us together (such as the 5 precepts), but my own response to my beliefs and reasons behind them are not applicable for every Buddhist. This is probably another reason behind following the teachings of the Buddha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    Nah

I think people from the West usually go for the Mahayana branch, not sure why though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's just because Mahayana Buddhism has spread to the West more. If you live in a city with only one or two Buddhist temples and they're both Mahayana centres, then that's what you roll with I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    I think it's just because Mahayana Buddhism has spread to the West more. If you live in a city with only one or two Buddhist temples and they're both Mahayana centres, then that's what you roll with I guess.
    Sad but true, it's like a day's trip to go to the nearest temple for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    Always wanted to do one of these threads but couldn't find a good topic till now! Ask away...

I might be a bit late in answering so I apologise in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do the different branches in buddhism differ? What are the differences and similarities?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.