Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Do you ever read print newspapers? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you ever read printed newspapers?
    Yes
    36.25%
    Yes (but only the free ones)
    33.49%
    No
    30.26%

ReputationRep:
    I'll read the Metro if I happen to sit near a copy on the train or see one while I'm waiting for one at the station, but I wouldn't buy one (unless there's an awesome freebie or special edition about major news, etc.).

Printed newspapers are useful for arts and crafts and not much else in my eyes - much easier to read about news online :fluffy:

I can't really explain why, but I much prefer having an actual newspaper to read during my lunch-break than sitting on my phone. Also I find I read things in the newspaper that I am unlikely to have read online, as I probably wouldn't have clicked the title of the story unless I thought it sounded interesting.

Also, no bloody way you can do a crossword electronically!

ReputationRep:
    I used to read the daily sport. Broke my heart when that went out of print. Great journalism.

ReputationRep:
    bear™ reads The Times, The i, and The Daily Telegraph each day in dead tree format :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    I can't really explain why, but I much prefer having an actual newspaper to read during my lunch-break than sitting on my phone. Also I find I read things in the newspaper that I am unlikely to have read online, as I probably wouldn't have clicked the title of the story unless I thought it sounded interesting.

have you tried the i crossword ? it's marvellous.

(Original post by the bear)
    have you tried the i crossword ? it's marvellous.
    In paper or electronic format?

(Original post by shawtyb)
    did i say it was for the news?
    Hmm, fair enough. The thread is about newspapers and the news contained in them, though.

(Original post by acupofgreentea)
    To be fair, I'm kind of limited in terms of the news sources I can stand to read. :lol:
    What do you think of the BBC website? :beard:

(Original post by acupofgreentea)
    Wait, what? The Sun is a newspaper? All this time I've been thinking it was some sort of parody magazine, oh my God ... :eek:

The stuff The Sun prints is meant to be news. Who knew?
    I'm surprised by the fact that anybody buys that rag, let alone it having one of the largest readerships of any British daily newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to buy the Telegraph whenever i want to sit down and have a Cinnamon Latte. I'd prefer the FT or WSJ but too expensive or hard to find.

Shame about the Independent but i suspect between the Telegraph, Guardian and Times it just got squeezed out too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)

I agree. Sitting with a coffee and an actual paper is much better than sitting with a tablet ect.. I also agree that i tend to read more or less the whole paper whereas i'd avoid certain subjects online.

bear™ reads The Times, The i, and The Daily Telegraph each day in dead tree format :yep:
    All at once? Certainly getting the quality there but if i was reading 3 papers i'd probably replace the Times or Telegraph with the Guardian or Independent to balance out the slant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I agree. Sitting with a coffee and an actual paper is much better than sitting with a tablet ect.. I also agree that i tend to read more or less the whole paper whereas i'd avoid certain subjects online.

All at once? Certainly getting the quality there but if i was reading 3 papers i'd probably replace the Times or Telegraph with the Guardian or Independent to balance out the slant.
    ermm the i is a slimmed down version of the Independent

ReputationRep:
    ermm the i is a slimmed down version of the Independent
    Bits of it are. Too much less intellectual stuff.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    When I'm at my parents' house I do because they get the papers anyway but I can't really justify the cost of getting The Guardian every day when I'm at uni when I can just use the website instead.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say, I'm surprised such a high proportion on here read print newspapers!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Only The Metro for the bus into work. Struggling to think if/when I've ever bought a paper before...

ReputationRep:
    Always The Times for me! I used to read the Daily Express but actually it's rubbish compared to The Times. Also, the printed ones are great for cutting up afterwards

ReputationRep:
    I personally only read news online, most oftenly The Guardian and The Independent. I don't think we'll see the end of printed news anytime soon. I used to work in a shop and there are still a lot of people that buy newspapers. Although it has to be said that most people who do are of older generations - it's rare for me to see someone who is fairly young buying a newspaper. Usually if a young person is buying a newspaper it's something like The Financial Times and others similar to that. In terms of more general papers like The Guardian, The Telegraph ect, it's generally older people who buy them. We'll certainly see a reduction in printed news but I'd say it still probably has another 50+ years before it totally dies out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever bought a newspaper before tbh, but I do pick up a Metro every day I travel on the bus (and the Evening Standard whenever I'm on the train down in London). Granted they are not as up to date as online news, but reading a physical paper can be a nice break from staring at smartphone/computer screens all day (which I already do enough of, lol). And sometimes I do spot something interesting in the paper which I then look up on the internet to find out more about. Plus, I like the McDonalds vouchers you sometimes get in them

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only very rarely, NGL. Digital editions wouldn't work for me as I'm electro-sensitive :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I read the Evening Standard when I'm back home in London. And I certainly enjoy a good paper when going on a long trip. However, I don't read them daily. I think the loss of the Independent is a shame, though, as it is the paper my Dad always reads, and the one I grew up with.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The cease of printing of The Independent is interesting from my industry's perspective. People often drop the phrase 'print is dead', which is where I'd disagree. In fact, I was asked back in 2011, during an interview for a job, whether I thought that this was the case.

It's been known for a long time now (around a decade, if not longer) that readership of newspapers in general is declining. The way by which we consume news is changing. We can get push notifications on breaking news stories, which are easily updated via apps. Print cannot do this. News is also shared via Facebook, whereas before people would call each other to say that they should buy newspaper X.

Young people are less inclined to read politically biased news. BBC News (please don't start a BBC News is X-wing debate :ninja:) provides a well rounded view of the facts. The Independent did well to create the i newspaper back in 2010, which provides better content than the Metro and was cheap (20p at the time, now 40p I believe). Fast reading without too much bias.

The next interesting thing will be whether they paywall the Indy's online content or not... The Sun learnt from that and Rebekah Brooks has only just removed it as one of her first actions back at News UK. Even ad revenue doesn't provide the print revenue you'd get from advertisers or readers. :beard:

I'll occasionally buy the i newspaper if I've got time to read it, but if not then I know that I'll be up to date throughout the day.

:holmes:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.