Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Expensive or cheap for first car? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    That's an awful lot of money to rock round in something powered by a lawnmower engine.
    Hey that's not fair!

My lawnmower is more powerful than an Aygo

ReputationRep:
    for insurance have a look at endsleigh. theyre a student only insurance firm. i had my room insurance with them the entire time i was at uni. had a crack at car insurance with them now as well. ive got just 1 year no claims and for a car of similar value to OP its costing me £530 for the year. Make sure you ring them and see what they can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Hey that's not fair!

My lawnmower is more powerful than an Aygo
    Yeah, but your mower is probably attached to a new holland or a massey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Yeah, but your mower is probably attached to a new holland or a massey!
    One on a New Holland, another on a David Brown! Though even the old Westwood would probably give an Aygo a run for its money, once I've got the transaxle back together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    One on a New Holland, another on a David Brown! Though even the old Westwood would probably give an Aygo a run for its money, once I've got the transaxle back together
    There's a new holland dealership not far from here. I've not seen anything bigger than a T5 in there, though.

ReputationRep:
    love to find the secret of cheap insurance my cheapest quote is at 20 is (this on a 1 litre automatic micra from 1997)
    £5,781.39total costDeposit of £878.19
    10 monthly payments of £490.32

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    love to find the secret of cheap insurance my cheapest quote is at 20 is (this on a 1 litre automatic micra from 1997)
    £5,781.39total costDeposit of £878.19
    10 monthly payments of £490.32
    Out of curiosity, I just did price comparison search on that car, put my age as 18 and only just got a driver's licence. Lowest quote I got was £1200, fully comp, no black box nonsense either. It must simply be down to where you live, which I'm guessing is slap bang in the middle of a large city. I live in the country myself, insurance is always going to be cheaper for me.

Since the Micra is over 15 years old, you might actually be able to get a classic car insurance policy on it, which is usually significantly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Out of curiosity, I just did price comparison search on that car, put my age as 18 and only just got a driver's licence. Lowest quote I got was £1200, fully comp, no black box nonsense either. It must simply be down to where you live, which I'm guessing is slap bang in the middle of a large city. I live in the country myself, insurance is always going to be cheaper for me.

Since the Micra is over 15 years old, you might actually be able to get a classic car insurance policy on it, which is usually significantly cheaper.
    not really a semi rural town of 12,000 so it doesn't make sense

ReputationRep:
    very decent price these days ...

ReputationRep:
    Fair amount.

So sad how the insurance costs more than the car itself.

ReputationRep:
    keep in mind that your insurance is higher because you don't have a lot experience therefore I would say go for cheaper car in order to save money from insurance and if you break it, it won't be a big deal

ReputationRep:
    I want to get a car to practice driving still haven't passed my test. It was mentioned on here endesliegh are best for insurance for young people. I got a quote for a car I want to get and comes to around £1200, the car is 2004 worth around £700. My question are there any other companies I should check out for better deals?(I tried Liverpool Victoria and they quoted around £3000). Or is there a specific cars you would recommend with low insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemountain)
    I want to get a car to practice driving still haven't passed my test. It was mentioned on here endesliegh are best for insurance for young people. I got a quote for a car I want to get and comes to around £1200, the car is 2004 worth around £700. My question are there any other companies I should check out for better deals?(I tried Liverpool Victoria and they quoted around £3000). Or is there a specific cars you would recommend with low insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    endsleigh is literally one of the cheapest companies you could go to. But I'd also like to know if there are other alternatives (without having a black box installed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    endsleigh is literally one of the cheapest companies you could go to. But I'd also like to know if there are other alternatives (without having a black box installed)
    Hi please can you help as I was recommended by that person about Endsleigh. I received a quote of about £3657.28 and was wondering how come this is the cheapest.
    It is on a Toyota Aygo 1.0

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 18, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.