Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HatemGI)
    This is so sad.. my hopes.. they're disappearing..
    It was unrealistic to think you'd get in anywhere with AS alone. I still don't understand why your school didn't automatically enter you for a-levels after AS.

Also you mention you're aiming to get at least Ds. You need to be aiming for As, Bs at the very minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    It was unrealistic to think you'd get in anywhere with AS alone. I still don't understand why your school didn't automatically enter you for a-levels after AS.

Also you mention you're aiming to get at least Ds. You need to be aiming for As, Bs at the very minimum.
    Okay so I was just chatting with a friend about this and he said his ex-classmate travelled to Hungary and is studying medicine first year, and he got 1A 2B in AS levels only..
    That's weird, I will talk to him tomorrow and tell you in details if you want
    It's 2 AM now and I need some sleep

Thank you soo much for taking the time to answer me, although you almost took away all my hope, but you still helped
    If you help me find a good university you'll get the cookie.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Chinese myself and I wouldn't recommend it from any aspects
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay so I was just chatting with a friend about this and he said his ex-classmate travelled to Hungary and is studying medicine first year, and he got 1A 2B in AS levels only..

Thank you soo much for taking the time to answer me, although you almost took away all my hope, but you still helped
    I prefer to be realistic rather than give people false hope.

I still believe that if you want to study medicine, an extremely challenging degree, you have to be prepared to at least finish a-levels.

Any 'good' university will require good grades. And a bit of research.

ReputationRep:

To study medicine in any country you need A-levels or equivalent.
    Good AS levels (AAA/AAB) are important, as this is what universities base their offers on. Your friend's friend may have got an offer with ABB, but will have had to go on and get satisfactory grades at A-level before being allowed to apply.

I haven't heard amazing things about Med school in China. Med school is like trying to drink from a firehose - nearly impossible, and you're just about able to not drown if you work hard. I can't imagine having to learn a foreign language + a completely new culture at the same time.

I don't want to crap on your dreams, but medicine is a LOT of work. If you aren't finding AS levels easy, then it might not be the right path for you! The money isn't even good anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I won't personally recommend studying in China if you have other choices, since the quality of a MBBS from China can vary quite considerably so it's not the most transferable and if you want to practice in China I've heard a lot that dispels me from doing so and proficient Chinese will likely be required.

I think your best shot would be to try your best on your A-levels and aim for UK/European universities (still don't understand why you're behind deadline but maybe late entry?). Anyways good luck

ReputationRep:

(Original post by ForestCat)
    I prefer to be realistic rather than give people false hope.

I still believe that if you want to study medicine, an extremely challenging degree, you have to be prepared to at least finish a-levels.

Any 'good' university will require good grades. And a bit of research.
    To be honest this guy doesn't really seem to have a clue. If they really wanted to pursue medicine all they would have had to do was look on the internet for what UK med schools want. Even if your school is rubbish and doesn't inform you well, you should, as a prospective med student, be able to take the initiative and ensure you are qualified and eligible to enter a medical school. Not to mention you said you were aiming for D's. If you think studying medicine abroad is an "easy" alternative, you'll be in for quite the surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    To be honest this guy doesn't really seem to have a clue. If they really wanted to pursue medicine all they would have had to do was look on the internet for what UK med schools want. Even if your school is rubbish and doesn't inform you well, you should, as a prospective med student, be able to take the initiative and ensure you are qualified and eligible to enter a medical school. Not to mention you said you were aiming for D's. If you think studying medicine abroad is an "easy" alternative, you'll be in for quite the surprise.
    Yeah, I'd love to have some of what they are smoking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stroppyninja)
    Med school is like trying to drink from a firehose - nearly impossible, and you're just about able to not drown if you work hard.
    Just want to take a moment to give this analogy the credit it deserves

ReputationRep:
    I actually checked those requirements long ago but I never aimed for UK/US universities..
    Although I maybe could've been able to get the required grades, I'm an Arab, and from what I've heard, I won't do well in US and UK, because of racism and because of "those" people who ruined our image. You know who I'm talking about..

Anywaayy, good, weird news, I went to an educational consultant and he spoke to me about everything university-related AND he gave me a list of universities I can get admission to in different countries, examples:
    Ukraine
    Georgia
    Bulgaria
    Romania
    Czech
    Malaysia
    Shanghai
    And others

All with AS levels, not A levels
    No preparation year but I have to study the language(for some) before year 5 of medicine

ReputationRep:
    And I never said I aim for Ds in AS.
    I'm sure I'll get A's but as I said before, my school is *****y.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.