Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BreatheDeep)
    Thanks all. I have never has to insert an artificial airway on any other than a mannequin in training though so just not so confident in doing this and feel i would end up calling anaesthetist first but I feel it would not be ideal to just use head tilt chin lift and removing and suction in the meantime either :s
    Well, that's better than nothing. But if you've done it on a mannequin, and it's an emergency, what do you have to lose by attempting to put in an NPA/OPA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    It's a requirement to do the ALS course as an FY1, often you can do it early on/before starting. It's a good opportunity to practice these skills and use the equipment.
    No it's not - ILS is the requirement for F1, ALS is only required at F2. Nice of your Trust to pay for ALS if you're an F1, but it feels a bit excessive given that ILS is quite sufficient for what an F1 (and an F2!) will likely be doing at an arrest. I felt quite out of my depth discussing pacing and DC cardioversion when doing ALS as an F2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    No it's not - ILS is the requirement for F1, ALS is only required at F2. Nice of your Trust to pay for ALS if you're an F1, but it feels a bit excessive given that ILS is quite sufficient for what an F1 (and an F2!) will likely be doing at an arrest. I felt quite out of my depth discussing pacing and DC cardioversion when doing ALS as an F2.
    Oh. We've been told that ALS is compulsory to pass our FY1 year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Oh. We've been told that ALS is compulsory to pass our FY1 year!
    Tis cheaper than making you do ILS in F1 and ALS in F2, maybe your deanery is doing it a sensible way! Though I hope they didn't make you pay for it out of your own pocket, since ALS is where half my study budget disappeared to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    We did ALS in med school!

They still made me do ILS in FY1 and ALS in FY2 though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.