Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would happen if an unstoppable force were to meet an immovable object? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    This is philosophical question, not a scientific one.
    You trying to say philosophical questions have no solution?

I don't really see why it isn't scientific. We know what force is and can measure it and often we do extrapolate because time is finite and so we have to sometimes. So it could very well be scientific. I mean science often plays with infinites too in its theories even though we obviously cannot observe infinites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Unstoppable force would move through the immovable object and create an agent of chaos with green hair and freaky make up.
    Uh...

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    if you've defined them as a paradox (which you have), then it would be a paradox. in reality, one of them would simply give way to the other. which one? that's a mystery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    You trying to say philosophical questions have no solution?

I don't really see why it isn't scientific. We know what force is and can measure it and often we do extrapolate because time is finite and so we have to sometimes. So it could very well be scientific. I mean science often plays with infinites too in its theories even though we obviously cannot observe infinites.
    It's not a scientific question because I don't think the natural laws that govern the universe would permit an unstoppable force or an immovable object. The very universe itself, which governs those laws, will stop one day (if the Big Crunch idea is to be believed) Again, armed only with a GCSE Grade C in Physics from 20 years ago I'll be the first to admit this topic isn't my strength. I'll be happy to be corrected.

I'm not sure whether philosophical questions have solutions or not. What I do know is that some of these philosophical questions seem to have confounded man for millennia. And of course, if they are purely philosophical questions they can only be answered in purely philosophical terms so there can't ever be a "right" answer. One philosopher may have a different solution than another and since they can't be empirically tested it becomes a bit nebulous. Again, beyond reading "Sophie's World" I know almost as much about philosophy as I do physics so you can draw your own conclusions as to the worth of my opinion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Unity of opposites

ReputationRep:
    Name:  61658074.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  65.8 KB

Had to. Hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    It's not just an assumption. It's the truth. That force & that object do exist. Both of them are just here on this blue planet.

Palestinians = that unstoppable force
    Israelis = that immovable object

The consequence = eternal conflict (eternal war)

Attachment 506173

Attachment 506175

Name:  1456021671820.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  27.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We know what would happen, it is demonstrated by a simple balance and is fundamental to nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    If we assume both of these can exist (and also can exist simultaneously), then what would happen if these items met?

And going back to the original assumption, if it were possible for either to exist, could they exist in the same universe, or would this instead be a paradox?
    The existence of one precludes the existence of the other. We're beginning from a contradiction. And it's a basic exercise in 'traditional' logic to show that any and all sentences follow deductively from contradictory premises.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a paradox.

Let's assume that we are moving with the speed of unstoppable force and in the same direction. Then unstoppable force became immovable object and vice versa. It means that a possible winner (before we started moving) automatically became a loser (after we started moving).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ok lets say x is unstoppable
    Y is immovable.

X is unstoppable because it cannot be stopped duh
    And y is immovable as it cant be moved
    A immovable object CANNOT exist in a world where a unstoppable object exists but nor can a unstoppable force exist if a immovable object exists.
    Either one or none exist

ReputationRep:
    This Zeno's paradox is a typical contradiction.
    it is either impossible or cannot be described with known logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    If we assume both of these can exist (and also can exist simultaneously), then what would happen if these items met?

And going back to the original assumption, if it were possible for either to exist, could they exist in the same universe, or would this instead be a paradox?
    they would go through each-over and might smash but still be
    unmovable/unstoppable

ReputationRep:
    Physics/ in this world can't define your question.
    Your just trailing the youtube video.....
    Such a thing cannot exist.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.