Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What next, a veil? It's the mooslim takeover! !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)

I never said I'm doing it under a guise of being oppressed. I was talking to the girls about it and they said it's not religious appropriation as they were being worn long before Islam was around. Just wondered about other people's opinions on it, but there's no need to be rude about it.
    That's the perception I genuinely have.

If you became Muslim and wore the veil in a very genuine way, I wouldn't mind at all but this is part of that Eat, Pray, Love culture Westerners have developed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    But you've been getting attention specifically because of the hijab, hardly a promotion of modesty.
    At the end of the day I didn't do it because I'm a Muslim. It's just a piece of clothing, I just wanted to see what the general population thought. I appreciate your response and that you don't think it's appropriate, as I'm listening to all the different opinions

ReputationRep:
    Im not really sure why you would wear a hijab purely for some kind of fashion purpose or because you look good. Its a symbolic item of clothing and it has a meaning, and it isn't tied to what you believe in.
    I think it would confuse me a little bit, but it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    It's a piece of clothing. Some people gave it some meaning, that doesn't change what it actually is. Wear whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    At the end of the day I didn't do it because I'm a Muslim. It's just a piece of clothing, I just wanted to see what the general population thought. I appreciate your response and that you don't think it's appropriate, as I'm listening to all the different opinions
    I didn't say it wasn't appropriate. I couldn't care less about what is appropriate or inappropriate to any religion as it's all totally meaningless to me. Was just pointing out that the response you received seems to be the exact opposite of what a 'normal' wearer would expect.

ReputationRep:
    sure wear it. while the women of the culture/religion are getting beat up and are facing islamophobia, wear it because people tell you you look pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Wearing one would be a bit disrespectful to their culture even if its "just a piece of clothing". It has a meaning in muslim culture and also it doesnt make sense why you would wear one for the sake of fashion its a bit like me saying i will dress like like the pope and have a staff and everything because it looks good.

ReputationRep:
    I giggled at this thread. I am immature. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's offensive at all. The challenge you did seemed quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    Wearing one would be a bit disrespectful to their culture even if its "just a piece of clothing". It has a meaning in muslim culture and also it doesnt make sense why you would wear one for the sake of fashion its a bit like me saying i will dress like like the pope and have a staff and everything because it looks good.
    Yeah cause the norm for Christians is dressing like the pope :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a lot of hate from people for this. Just wanted to say that upsetting people or causing a fight was not my intention. Was only asking as a lot of Muslim girls told me that I look pretty and that I should wear one despite not being a Muslim, as they said it's not got a spiritual meaning to me so it's not a problem. But a lot of non-Muslims on here are telling me that's wrong and that I shouldn't do it, so I wanted to gather more opinions.

Once again, really sorry if I upset anyone; that really wasn't my intention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I don't think it's offensive at all. The challenge you did seemed quite interesting.
    Thank you it was really interesting. They essentially taught us the reasons behind why Muslims wear the hijab, and that it's liberating rather than oppressive (as some people believe). They also explained to us that the challenge shows us how we can be pretty and boost self confidence without needing elaborate hairstyles etc, and how happy it makes some women. It was informative and interesting, and actually quite fun

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous; millions of female Muslims in the Middle East are forced to cover up in public (under the guise of 'modesty' laws) and severely oppressed on a daily basis by patriarchal societies.

(Original post by bisolarsystem)
    sure wear it. while the women of the culture/religion are getting beat up and are facing islamophobia, wear it because people tell you you look pretty.
    This.

I've seen some women adopt the hijab even if they aren't Muslim. I don't think it's offensive at all to wear it in this case. Wear it as you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Why not? Hijabi's are so sexy yum
    i think that a kind of see-through hijab might work as a cool fashion statement ? sort of gossamer material...

(Original post by the bear)
    i think that a kind of see-through hijab might work as a cool fashion statement ? sort of gossamer material...
    I think rainbow coloured will look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Yeah cause the norm for Christians is dressing like the pope :P
    you would look good in scarlet robes Spoder :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you would look good in scarlet robes Spoder :ahee:
    I would love to try them on but unfortunately my photoshop skills are not on point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I would love to try them on but unfortunately my photoshop skills are not on point
    does bear™ have to do everything ? :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.