Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this was posted in 1970?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    The 77 virgins (or however many) thing is made up. Won't get into a debate but thought you should know.
    Yes it is all made up: it's a religion. Mohammed did a particularly good job in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Yes it is all made up: it's a religion. Mohammed did a particularly good job in that respect.
    Cute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    There's not much point in spending life worrying about eternal oblivion because you literally won't experience it. Do you worry before going to sleep each night knowing that you're basically unconscious the whole time?
    But you go to sleep knowing that there's a good chance of waking up (if you are healthy). With death, it seems like there is no possibility of that, with the scientific view.
    Console yourself with the thought that you coped with oblivion for many billions of years before you were born and this experience will enable you to do so again. Then concentrate on doing something while you are here that means you won't be forgotten when you die.
    The thing is, after death, you may never wake up- Eternal oblivion- without an identity or memory. Even waking up for a second every billion years is better than nothing. That's the hope OP wants to be true.

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt, this website didn't exist in 1970, it's a glitch that occasionally arises.
    i know

although with the number of posts youve made it looks like you must have been here since 1970

ReputationRep:
    I cannot wait for death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longshot100)
    But you go to sleep knowing that there's a good chance of waking up (if you are healthy). With death, it seems like there is no possibility of that, with the scientific view.
    Yeah but you're still unconscious during sleep and it's not particularly scary. In the long term I just think it's pointless to worry about such things because if oblivion is the reality then there's not anything we can do about it. Fretting and worrying will just use up precious time and energy that could be dedicated to more productive activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    this was posted in 1970?
    Nah, it's a glitch.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The OP date is probably just a development bug due to incorrectly formatted date. It can sometimes default to the original UNIX timestamp when parsed incorrectly or throw an error.

Not uncommon when handling dates in web applications and often overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    when you are dying you enter a long tunnel... as you move down you become aware of a gentle glow... at the end there is a screen... across the screen you see familiar words scrolling...

Spoiler:
    Show
    GAME OVER

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I cannot wait for death.
    what if you don't like it ?
    Name:  g3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  81.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    OMG breaking news! Apparently the Beatles are going to break up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    what if you don't like it ?
    Name:  g3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  81.0 KB
    I will no longer have the capacity to dislike something, as I will be dead.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but you're still unconscious during sleep and it's not particularly scary. In the long term I just think it's pointless to worry about such things because if oblivion is the reality then there's not anything we can do about it. Fretting and worrying will just use up precious time and energy that could be dedicated to more productive activities.
    True.

It is just depends on whether consciousness really is a property of the brain, or whether it somehow continues after death, due to that principle (I forgot where it is from) that consciousness is what makes the universe in our mind, and therefore it has to continue. (A bit weird, I know, but I don't think it is ridiculous. If evidence is found, it may be feasible, or I may just be indulging myself in wishful thinking)

ReputationRep:
    Console yourself with the thought that you coped with oblivion for many billions of years before you were born and this experience will enable you to do so again. Then concentrate on doing something while you are here that means you won't be forgotten when you die.
    Why do we place value on our ability to be remembered, even despite the impermanence of any trace of our existence? If we are forgotten, does that mean (to you, or others) that our lifetime spent wasn't worthwhile? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Death really doesn't scare me that much and I don't believe there is an afterlife. I wasn't around at all before 1997, I don't think it's a huge leap to imagine that could be the case again when I die. I do think the idea of an afterlife can be comforting but in all honesty it doesn't bother me if there is one or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    There are no negative feelings in paradise including jealousy, so I wouldn't care

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's something that I find troubling about the concept of an afterlife, the inability to feel certain emotions, even if they're "bad" ones. I wouldn't want eternal life if it meant I had to be lobotomised and trapped in a permanent state of feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Ngl, I'm scared about dying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    That's something that I find troubling about the concept of an afterlife, the inability to feel certain emotions, even if they're "bad" ones. I wouldn't want eternal life if it meant I had to be lobotomised and trapped in a permanent state of feeling.
    Why would you complain if they're happy feelings lol

ReputationRep:
    I am so scared of death, the thought of being in a small dark hole terrifies me. I pray to god that my soul reaches heaven when I die amen

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.