Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On what basis are decisions for accommodations made?
    And can you get something you didn't even state as a choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deairiee)
    On what basis are decisions for accommodations made?
    And can you get something you didn't even state as a choice?
    Yeah it also depends on whether you have a conditional or unconditional. I really hope I get one of my choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gstar7)
    Yeah it also depends on whether you have a conditional or unconditional. I really hope I get one of my choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh well, ****.
    I'm more stressed out about accommodation than I was for getting my offer.

ReputationRep:
    I just accepted my offer for Law at Edinburgh, applied at the end of September and heard back about 3 weeks ago.

I'm trying to decide between Sugarhouse, Blackfriars St and Nicolson St - the latter two are a lot cheaper but also a lot less appealing, although the location for all three is good.

Does anyone know about contact hours for Law? Or is there an example timetable anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone know how long the leases are? It'd be useful to know the weekly cost of accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielcormack98)
    Is Abbeybill a convenient location, in terms of distance, from the accommodation to George Square? How far would it be to walk? I'm just curious as I'm weighing up which accomodation to choose at present.
    Abbeyhill is pretty close to George Sq, you just walk up the royal mile (which is very nice walk past some amazing buildings) and then just across on to south bridge or down George IV Bridge. Takes me about 20 mins. There's also a bus from right outside the accommodation every few minutes if you're running late or CBA. It's very close to Moray House, Pleasance and The Gym.

ReputationRep:
    First off, congrats for everyone on their offers! I have a conditional for Genetics and am planning on firming it... just waiting for an offer from Dundee to have my insurance.

Also I'm really surprised how so many people in this thread are looking at the priciest accommodation (Sugarhouse Close, Deaconess, Murano...). I'm from the eurozone and the pound-euro exchange rate is terrible. I don't think I can afford to pay almost 1,000€ extra for a year of en-suite bathrooms and modern furniture. A semi-affordable choice for me, which also looks rather nice from pictures, is Mansion Fountainbridge. It looks modern-ish and clean. Plus it has a double bed :awesome: Blackfriars is also within the reach off my budget, but the design bugs me a little (dark tones). Even though I have to watch out for my budget, I am definitely a design snob and can totally sympathize with people who dread the thought of ending up at any of the "traditional"/"old" flats.

Any inside (or outside) info on Mansion Fountainbridge? It doesn't seem to have much of a common area... how important do you guys consider a common area to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minä)
    First off, congrats for everyone on their offers! I have a conditional for Genetics and am planning on firming it... just waiting for an offer from Dundee to have my insurance.

Also I'm really surprised how so many people in this thread are looking at the priciest accommodation (Sugarhouse Close, Deaconess, Murano...). I'm from the eurozone and the pound-euro exchange rate is terrible. I don't think I can afford to pay almost 1,000€ extra for a year of en-suite bathrooms and modern furniture. A semi-affordable choice for me, which also looks rather nice from pictures, is Mansion Fountainbridge. It looks modern-ish and clean. Plus it has a double bed :awesome: Blackfriars is also within the reach off my budget, but the design bugs me a little (dark tones). Even though I have to watch out for my budget, I am definitely a design snob and can totally sympathize with people who dread the thought of ending up at any of the "traditional"/"old" flats.

Any inside (or outside) info on Mansion Fountainbridge? It doesn't seem to have much of a common area... how important do you guys consider a common area to be?
    I've heard that mansion fountainbridge had students from all of the Edinburgh unis (Napier and queen Margaret). I'm not sure if that's true though. Also I think a common room is really important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've recently firmed an unconditional for ecological and environmental sciences; i'm absolutely thrilled and can't wait to start.
    Unfortunately I don't have much cash at all to play with for accommodation (EU so no maintenance loan) so i'm looking at the cheaper self-catered student halls.
    I'm currently trying to decide between Nicolson St, Warrender Park Road, and Sciennes; but I can't find much info on any of them online, anyone here have any experience with those 3? Also what size am I looking at for a small single room?

ReputationRep:
    Is Sugarhouse Close from UNITE? Because I found it on there and not the actual Edinburgh Uni accommodation website. If so, can we apply to Sugarhouse when we apply for accommodation or is it a whole separate thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erod47)
    Is Sugarhouse Close from UNITE? Because I found it on there and not the actual Edinburgh Uni accommodation website. If so, can we apply to Sugarhouse when we apply for accommodation or is it a whole separate thing?
    I think the Uni buys the flats from unite for the year and give it to us for a discounted price. For this year it will be an Edinburgh Uni accommodation I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My top 3 are

1. Sugarhouse Close
    2. Portsburgh Court
    3. Warrender Park Crescent, although considering Chancellor's Court at Pollock though the inside of the halls look kinda ugly I dunno

ReputationRep:
    I've just accepted a conditional to civil engineering, I wanted something in the sort of mid range around £4000 as I'll be relying on SAAS for my accomodation. I'll also wanna be fairly central for Kings and nights out and whatnot. I like the look of blackfriars street and robertsons close, but Mansion Fountainbridge looks nice as well! I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find details on the difference between small standard and large rooms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B.O.B)
    I've just accepted a conditional to civil engineering, I wanted something in the sort of mid range around £4000 as I'll be relying on SAAS for my accomodation. I'll also wanna be fairly central for Kings and nights out and whatnot. I like the look of blackfriars street and robertsons close, but Mansion Fountainbridge looks nice as well! I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find details on the difference between small standard and large rooms?
    Saw an answer to this on the stickied accommodation thread. Let me quote it here Haven't found a more concrete answer to this anywhere

Room Sizes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There are a lot of questions about the room sizing and whether one should apply for a small, medium or large room. The general consensus of students past and present is that you should always apply for the SMALL room size wherever possible: the difference in size between different classes of room is often marginal, and significant savings in rent can be made if your room is classed as “small”.

The choice of room sizes is something that was only introduced in 2007. It is commonly viewed amongst students as a ruse by Accommodation Services to squeeze more money out of their tenants. The general rule of thumb in most cases is that paying an extra £10 a week for a “large” room might gain you an extra 30cm width. The larger rooms do not represent good value for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnLaw15)
    Abbeyhill is pretty close to George Sq, you just walk up the royal mile (which is very nice walk past some amazing buildings) and then just across on to south bridge or down George IV Bridge. Takes me about 20 mins. There's also a bus from right outside the accommodation every few minutes if you're running late or CBA. It's very close to Moray House, Pleasance and The Gym.
    Hey! Me and some friends are looking at Abeyhill. Do you like living there? Is it a social place, a calm place, or a bit of both?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what Sugarhouse Close and Portsburgh Court are actually like? I'm struggling to find reviews for them but I really like the look of them.

ReputationRep:
    Current student. Apply for what;s closest to campus, when you get here you really won't care what your rooms like, you'll barely be in it! For example if I was at Beaverbank I never would have got involved with social side of uni and societies. Robertson's close and Kincaids are my favourites.

That's applications now open!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not seeing the link on myEd account. Anyone else having the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deairiee)
    I'm not seeing the link on myEd account. Anyone else having the problem?
    Ive got that but I haven't firmed the offer yet so I assume it's something to do with that

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.