The Student Room Group

Recommend me a Radio Station to listen to at work

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
Classic FM

or if you are Asian then BBC Asian

This pretty much

I use Heart.

Has great music variety and also if you get the app you can listen to shows again and I really recommend the breakfast show
Wow I'm surprised that Absolute is being recommended, always thought nobody would because of the target age

Decent set of stations though, especially if you can get those other than the main station too, 80s, 90s, 00s are on DAB (in some places) so it's very rare none of them are playing something good
I alternate between Radio 4 and Kerrang, personally, because reasons. I used to listen to Xfm, but then they got Chris Moyles in on the breakfast slot, and I bloody hate Chris Moyles.

If you can devote some brain power to listening to the radio, then the Today Programme and From Our Own Correspondent on Radio 4 are both interesting.
I always like to listen to Scott Mills and Chris Stark on Radio 1 after 1pm :smile:
BBC Radio 1 is quite cool (though not to everyone's taste, and kind of the same if you listen to it on consecutive days), I like The Matt Edmondson show in particular if he's on, and Clara Amfo has such a soothing voice :love:
Reply 26
Original post by Mattari
I quite like listening to Radio X, personally.

Same! Especially for the breakfast show:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by SeanFM
BBC Radio 1 is quite cool (though not to everyone's taste, and kind of the same if you listen to it on consecutive days), I like The Matt Edmondson show in particular if he's on, and Clara Amfo has such a soothing voice :love:

Used to be quite good but it's gone downhill since Moyles left tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirgilis
For the best part of next week, I have a completely empty office! Since I can't work in silence and I now have control of the office radio, recommend me a decent Radio Station to listen to!

My working hours are generally 8am to 4pm, so if there're decent shows on at specific times, I'm willing to switch during the day.

I prefer nothing distracting and should be easy to listen to (so no heavy metal, dance music or the likes) as I still want to be productive, but I'm open to any suggestions as to whether the station plays music, has adverts or not, or is a discussion/story station.

What does everyone tend to listen to?

Gem 106
Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show at 12 o'clock. It is a mixture of music and discussion. The music they play is easy-going and nothing distracting.
I also like LBC, everything on there is discussion. Annoyingly, there are adverts. My favourite on that station is James O'Brien at 10 am.
Radio 4 is good, and so is Absolute Radio.
Reply 30
Radio 4 Extra or Classic FM all the way. :h:
LBC :smile:
Radio 2 I agree with the person who said Jeremy Vine he is on 12-2pm. Usually has good topics on for discussion and listeners can phone in etc.

My all time favourite radio 2 show is the big show with Steve Wright in the afternoon from 2-5pm. He usually does interviews, good music - a mix of new and old. The regular features are factoids (so it's also educational), ask elvis and horoscopes if you like that sort of thing. I like Wright as a presenter he is funny and his copresenters have good bant with him.

Also the Chris Evans breakfast show from 6:30 I think till 9:30 (?).

Radio 2 is great in general. Oh and from 9:30 till 12 noon it's Ken Bruce and he does pop master!

I usually listen to heart in the car though purely because I like the music (mix of 80s90s00s and current). They do play a lot of the same thing though. I think the slogan "more music variety" comes from the fact that they play music from nearly 5 different decades. Heart also have great competitions like the current one "who's on heart" where three secret celebrities are saying one of the words "who's" "on" and "heart" and people phone in every hour and try and guess the celebrities to win money. This competition goes on for months until all celebrities are guessed. So far one has been guessed.

The downside to stations like heart is the ads but there are local heart stations and you can get news relevant to your area which is quite nice. Oh and on Sunday mornings it's Emma Willis and Stephen Mulhern and they have good on air chemistry and regular features like catchphrase for the radio.

I don't really listen to radio 1 or 3. But radio 4 is good in the morning ie the today show - makes you aware of the current news and the presenters are witty.

Finally Gold is good but that's on AM not FM so poor quality but if you like old music like me (70s Rock) then give it a listen.

I think that is everything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Capital FM all-day, every-day :yep:
Also just read about your curiosity for radio 4, they have an afternoon play at around 2 o clock!
Original post by Nirgilis
For the best part of next week, I have a completely empty office! Since I can't work in silence and I now have control of the office radio, recommend me a decent Radio Station to listen to!

My working hours are generally 8am to 4pm, so if there're decent shows on at specific times, I'm willing to switch during the day.

I prefer nothing distracting and should be easy to listen to (so no heavy metal, dance music or the likes) as I still want to be productive, but I'm open to any suggestions as to whether the station plays music, has adverts or not, or is a discussion/story station.

What does everyone tend to listen to?

If you can get it Jack fm usually has quite good music mainly from the 80's 90's early 00's stuff like Queen Blur , Oasis , The Goo Goo Dolls and loads of earlier stuff like The Kinks and oath huge hits.

failing that absolute is also quite good.
Original post by flutterby-x303
i usually listen to heart in the car though purely because I like the music (mix of 80s90s00s and current). They do play a lot of the same thing though. I think the slogan "more music variety" comes from the fact that they play music from nearly 5 different decades. Heart also have great competitions like the current one "who's on heart" where three secret celebrities are saying one of the words "who's" "on" and "heart" and people phone in every hour and try and guess the celebrities to win money. This competition goes on for months until all celebrities are guessed. So far one has been guessed.

The downside to stations like heart is the ads but there are local heart stations and you can get news relevant to your area which is quite nice. Oh and on Sunday mornings it's Emma Willis and Stephen Mulhern and they have good on air chemistry and regular features like catchphrase for the radio.

I don't really listen to radio 1 or 3. But radio 4 is good in the morning ie the today show - makes you aware of the current news and the presenters are witty.

Finally Gold is good but that's on AM not FM so poor quality but if you like old music like me (70s Rock) then give it a listen.

I think that is everything.

I used to listen to Heart quite a lot, it's my local station, but I tuned out after a couple of things I found:

1) "More Music Variety" - must be because they play different decades of music, other than that, I didn't actually hear the "variety" as the songs that they played never seemed to change; additionally they didn't put much new music onto their playout system. I found out that Capital FM played a lot more new music, but unfortunately Capital on FM is pretty weak in my area so it's a case of fire up Tunein (on the computer), fire up the DAB radio (and put up with poorer quality sound), try and get the best possible Capital FM signal, or put up with Heart,

2) Awful hacking of songs - as of 2012/2013 I noticed that quite a few songs seemed to have the ends chopped off quite regularly - why they did this, I do not know. Its very annoying when you're just getting into a song, and someone cuts it short, to try and squeeze an extra song (or two) into the hourly schedule. Some times, I found out that over a minute had been cut off, sometimes even longer (see relevant thread). Also, most of their in-house radio edits of songs are not that great, removing every last ounce of rap to make the song as friendly as possible. A couple of examples being Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling (that song was butchered!) and Pitbull ft Neyo - Give Me Everything (they redone it so that all you heard was Ne-Yo's choruses).

3) Who's On Heart was great when it first launched but the problem was that they were still plugging away at it after 8 months, during the first season of Who's On Heart (2012). And when you've heard Who's On Heart (WOH) every day for the past few months, it gets very tedious! And that was just the first year; if my memory serves me correctly, they had a WOH 2012, WOH 2013, WOH 2014, possibly a WOH 2015 (though during 2014 and 2015, I listened to other stations) and I heard an episode of WOH 2016 whilst doing an FM Radio test on board a train. So 5 years of WOH now.

Due to the reasons above, in late 2013/early 2014, I switched to a different selection of stations: Capital FM (for the new music), Kiss FM (for new music/dance music - also for when I was outside of a Capital FM area) and Demon FM - the latter being my university's' radio station and playing a great selection of music. My only regret? I wish I'd switched to Capital/Kiss a lot sooner, as I'd have been even happier listening to nice modern pop/dance/chart music. :yep:

If you want the sort of music that heart is likely to provide, then why not give Magic or Smooth a try? If you want real old classics, try Gold. You could also try a station called Gem 106, which used to be Heart for East Midlands, and as such retains most of the Heart playlist of songs (whilst being a bit more adventurous!) whilst also feeling more local.

I used to listen to Radio 1 sometimes, but didn't think much of it, so kept with Heart/Capital/Kiss; Radio 3 is not my sort of music (and nor is Classic FM, which does similar music to R3) and Radio 4 (being a talk station) is not for me, as I like to have music on the radio.

With regards to the poor quality; the OP will be using a computer/laptop so that shouldn't be an issue.
Hope I've covered everything :biggrin:
Original post by spotify95
I used to listen to Heart quite a lot, it's my local station, but I tuned out after a couple of things I found:

1) "More Music Variety" - must be because they play different decades of music, other than that, I didn't actually hear the "variety" as the songs that they played never seemed to change; additionally they didn't put much new music onto their playout system. I found out that Capital FM played a lot more new music, but unfortunately Capital on FM is pretty weak in my area so it's a case of fire up Tunein (on the computer), fire up the DAB radio (and put up with poorer quality sound), try and get the best possible Capital FM signal, or put up with Heart,

2) Awful hacking of songs - as of 2012/2013 I noticed that quite a few songs seemed to have the ends chopped off quite regularly - why they did this, I do not know. Its very annoying when you're just getting into a song, and someone cuts it short, to try and squeeze an extra song (or two) into the hourly schedule. Some times, I found out that over a minute had been cut off, sometimes even longer (see relevant thread). Also, most of their in-house radio edits of songs are not that great, removing every last ounce of rap to make the song as friendly as possible. A couple of examples being Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling (that song was butchered!) and Pitbull ft Neyo - Give Me Everything (they redone it so that all you heard was Ne-Yo's choruses).

3) Who's On Heart was great when it first launched but the problem was that they were still plugging away at it after 8 months, during the first season of Who's On Heart (2012). And when you've heard Who's On Heart (WOH) every day for the past few months, it gets very tedious! And that was just the first year; if my memory serves me correctly, they had a WOH 2012, WOH 2013, WOH 2014, possibly a WOH 2015 (though during 2014 and 2015, I listened to other stations) and I heard an episode of WOH 2016 whilst doing an FM Radio test on board a train. So 5 years of WOH now.

Due to the reasons above, in late 2013/early 2014, I switched to a different selection of stations: Capital FM (for the new music), Kiss FM (for new music/dance music - also for when I was outside of a Capital FM area) and Demon FM - the latter being my university's' radio station and playing a great selection of music. My only regret? I wish I'd switched to Capital/Kiss a lot sooner, as I'd have been even happier listening to nice modern pop/dance/chart music. :yep:

If you want the sort of music that heart is likely to provide, then why not give Magic or Smooth a try? If you want real old classics, try Gold. You could also try a station called Gem 106, which used to be Heart for East Midlands, and as such retains most of the Heart playlist of songs (whilst being a bit more adventurous!) whilst also feeling more local.

I used to listen to Radio 1 sometimes, but didn't think much of it, so kept with Heart/Capital/Kiss; Radio 3 is not my sort of music (and nor is Classic FM, which does similar music to R3) and Radio 4 (being a talk station) is not for me, as I like to have music on the radio.

With regards to the poor quality; the OP will be using a computer/laptop so that shouldn't be an issue.
Hope I've covered everything :biggrin:

I agree with the stuff about heart and the lack of variety, I feel like certain songs get played at least once every day for about a week. "Jar of hearts" "uptown funk" and it seems "7 years" is following this trend. I understand that artists have their hits but it would be nice to hear a bit more variety in songs - play some of the lesser known ones and their slogan would make more sense!

I have also noticed when they play Queen it is usually always Radio Gaga (my least favourite Queen song!). They had so many hits why go for the same one all the time. They definitely need to update their playlist!

Re WOH I didn't realise it had been going on for so long! I only really started listening to heart in 2013 in the summer. I suppose it is popular with the listeners ie lots of people phone in. It's quite a hard competition so it can drag I agree and then eventually they need to give hints on the website. They normally do a list of incorrect guesses and they haven't done that this year, it would be a good idea because it's such a waste of time when people phone in and guess a celeb who has already been mentioned loads! I think it's one of those competitions you get hooked on. I always pay extra attention or turn up the volume when it gets to that time and someone has to guess a name, plus the prize money is pretty good as far as radio competitions go.

I have tried listening to Capital and Kiss but I find the music on capital to be too new if you get me. I am not an avid listener to music and don't care much for keeping up to date with the new hits. This probably sounds very naive but I always just assume if a song is good enough that it becomes popular it will probably end up being played (albeit to death) on heart. Overall though I prefer music the way it was in the 70s (even though I am 20!) and some of the new stuff sounds way too synthesised. This is one of the main reasons I dislike Kiss, also I find the remixes annoying.

I might try magic and smooth, plus gem106. What would you say were the main differences between them particularly the first two?

I really like gold. I enjoy music from so many eras haha! I enjoy radio, I volunteer at a hospital radio once a week in London and because it's a patient request show the music we play most often tends to be classical. Maybe that's why I don't like radio three! Sick to death of Mozart.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry, this is going to be a long post... :wink:

I agree with the stuff about heart and the lack of variety, I feel like certain songs get played at least once every day for about a week. "Jar of hearts" "uptown funk" and it seems "7 years" is following this trend. I understand that artists have their hits but it would be nice to hear a bit more variety in songs - play some of the lesser known ones and their slogan would make more sense!

Trust me, it was like that a couple of years ago, they would play Bruno Mars non stop, and the soppy ballads instead of the more upbeat songs. Give me the more upbeat music any day!
Jar of Hearts is OK but at least 4 years old, if not older. Are they still playing it?! Plus its a soppy ballad.
Uptown Funk is a great song, one of the best songs of 2014/2015.
7 Years is awesome! :awesome: Pretty much every station is playing it quite a bit (even my local university station), the reason being its a big song and has been on No.1 for 3 weeks now (according to the Big Top 40). Expect it to make it a month on the top this weekend.

I have also noticed when they play Queen it is usually always Radio Gaga (my least favourite Queen song!). They had so many hits why go for the same one all the time. They definitely need to update their playlist!

I have noticed that as well, as well as with other artists too - they tend to repeat one song, rather than multiple songs from the same artist. Not "More Music Variety" is it? :wink:

Re WOH I didn't realise it had been going on for so long! I only really started listening to heart in 2013 in the summer. I suppose it is popular with the listeners ie lots of people phone in. It's quite a hard competition so it can drag I agree and then eventually they need to give hints on the website. They normally do a list of incorrect guesses and they haven't done that this year, it would be a good idea because it's such a waste of time when people phone in and guess a celeb who has already been mentioned loads! I think it's one of those competitions you get hooked on. I always pay extra attention or turn up the volume when it gets to that time and someone has to guess a name, plus the prize money is pretty good as far as radio competitions go.

I've listened to Heart for quite a while because it was/is my local station (live in East Northamptonshire, Capital is hit and miss). I preferred it when it was Northants Radio 96.6, but hey ho! They seemed OK for the first few years, but as of 2012 the music output started slipping downhill and the song hacking got worse. As for WOH, lots of people phone in, so they have a chance of winning the jackpot (or even the smaller prizes for getting the first or second voice). The amount of phone ins covers the cost of giving the prizes away.

It definitely does drag, especially when they keep guessing the same wrong answers - and this does happen, because (certainly for the first few months) they don't put up a list of incorrect guesses. The same goes for having to put up hints - if they didn't, they'd never get the right answers and it would drag even more! But I don't listen to Heart anymore, so don't know how this years WOH is differing from previous years (certainly in terms of airplay).

I have tried listening to Capital and Kiss but I find the music on capital to be too new if you get me. I am not an avid listener to music and don't care much for keeping up to date with the new hits. This probably sounds very naive but I always just assume if a song is good enough that it becomes popular it will probably end up being played (albeit to death) on heart. Overall though I prefer music the way it was in the 70s (even though I am 20!) and some of the new stuff sounds way too synthesised. This is one of the main reasons I dislike Kiss, also I find the remixes annoying.

Yeah, I see what you mean, Capital tend to just focus on the modern chart hits - which is perfect for me, but not for you if you want to hear slightly older music as well. With regards to popular songs being played on Heart, no that's not always the case. Heart FM have a certain target audience, and Capital/Kiss have a different target audience. The format of music that each station broadcasts is different; Heart focus on AC (Adult Contemporary) music whereas Capital focus on CHR (Contemporary Hit Radio) music. There is some overlap between the two, but certain songs/artists (such as Eminem, Tinie Tempah, most rap songs) will never make it to Heart, no matter how big they get. The same goes for other more modern songs, you wouldn't expect to hear The Weekend, Jason Derulo, Craig David etc on Heart, as their music is aimed at a different target audience.

Some of Kiss' remixes can definitely be annoying, I agree with you there! Most of the songs that Kiss play are OK for me though, I tend to find out when the shows are (that are most likely to air remixes) and avoid them!

I might try magic and smooth, plus gem106. What would you say were the main differences between them particularly the first two?

I really like gold. I enjoy music from so many eras haha! I enjoy radio, I volunteer at a hospital radio once a week in London and because it's a patient request show the music we play most often tends to be classical. Maybe that's why I don't like radio three! Sick to death of Mozart.

I haven't really listened to Magic or Smooth that much, but from what I have heard, expect Magic to be quite similar to Heart (in terms of music), and Smooth will focus more on relaxing music. Have a listen and see what you think.
I'd recommend giving Gem 106 a go; it used to be an ex-Heart station, but now plays more of a variety - it still has the old Heart songs, but also seems to be more adventurous with their music (i.e. not as repetitive as Heart!).

I listened to Gold a while back (albeit not regularly) and it was ok, you had all the classics there! Perhaps not my music (as I am more into modern music), but better than certain stations already mentioned in this post! :wink: Haha, I can see why you don't like Radio 3, nor would I in those circumstances! (Not that I like Radio 3 anyway!)

Quick Reply

Latest