Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by z33)
    What a nice video about Chemistry experiments. That is one of the reasons why I have a yen for this natural science. When I have observed such similar experiments as a child, it was like a kind of magic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Coolest experiment at our school. :indiff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2TimLxskZw
    lolz same here
    Spoiler:
    Show
    We had a better version though, with HCl and goggles!

ReputationRep:
    I feel really unsophisticated by suggesting a Chip pan fire or the "Screaming Jelly Baby" 'Experiment'

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing all these awesome experiments and then there's my chem teacher who got super excited about a small 'explosion' (a pop at best) whilst playing with potassium and designing a whole practical around it - bless him :wink2:

ReputationRep:

Man, this was cool. It's freaky as hell

ReputationRep:
    This experiment is epic!
    Copper to Gold (Brass)

ReputationRep:
    Best one that we've done at college is the auto ignition of Paraffin Wax. Heat it until it's close to it's boiling point and then put the test tube into iced water and it pretty much explodes.

ReputationRep:
    Either producing your own nylon, "testing" trinitrotoluene or burning a lump of magnesium in pure oxygen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by I_Mir)
    This experiment is epic!
    Copper to Gold (Brass)
    Indeed, it is epic. I would love to make it by myself, just to create and to collect gold coins - and to have fun with that experiment.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_jelly_babies
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2j8qIsbLOU[/video]

Wanted to add a video to that experiment. As I can see, CO2 and CO is released after the oxidising agent potassium chlorate has reacted with the jelly, so if this experiment is conducted in a proper room, the windows has to be open, right?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kallisto)

Wanted to add a video to that experiment. As I can see, CO2 and CO is released after the oxidising agent potassium chlorate has reacted with the jelly, so if this experiment is conducted in a proper room, the windows has to be open, right?
    Yeah it would give off a lot of smoke, so windows should ideally be open. Should have a safety screen too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hehe, this is nice. Another experiment which I would love to have in lessons in my school days. Whenever fire is in play, I am on fire! :lol:

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Nah, we did nothing especially fun. Although I believe they did exciting stuff at open days.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    I loved titrations. Not sure why but I found them intensely satisfying.
    Squeezing out that last drop of titre before the colour change. :sogood:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.