Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British,English,Scottish,Irish or European? watch

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you identify as, we can all agree at least it's not the Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    I do not have any loyalty to this country when it's ran by the bullingdon club so would definitely not identify as British despite being born here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Why European before Scottish?
    Never lived in Scotland, only visited once, and the connection dates back a few generations, whereas I've travelled and lived on the continent and feel a general affinity with North Europeans as well as a connection to Europe more widely. Also, many Scots dislike the English, and/or are separatists/nationalists, and/or are (ivory tower) apologists for Islam/supporters of (failed) state multiculturalism, and I can't be doing with that; were it not for characters like Salmond, Stergeon and Ahmed-Sheikh, and their supporters, I suppose I'd have more time for my Scottish cousins :rolleyes:

We will? I guess I feel British has always come second. Don't really know why
    Of course being British will always come first mostly because I like thee so much :kiss:
    Yup.. you appear to be rather mixed up, kiddo

(Original post by intelligent con)
    I would definitely not identify as British
    Entirely consistent with my own impression of you

(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    As a Londoner - Such a thriving and diverse cauldron of people, cultures and language
    You scarcely identify as English/British/European then, instead preferring to identify as someone who happens to live in an international hub?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I see myself as Welsh

ReputationRep:
    I am British.
    My heritage is entirely Scottish & I live in Scotland but I most definitely identify as British, rather than Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Never lived in Scotland, only visited once, and the connection dates back a few generations, whereas I've travelled and lived on the continent and feel a general affinity with North Europeans as well as a connection to Europe more widely. Also, many Scots dislike the English, and/or are separatists/nationalists, and/or are (ivory tower) apologists for Islam/supporters of (failed) state multiculturalism, and I can't be doing with that; were it not for characters like Salmond, Stergeon and Ahmed-Sheikh, and their supporters, I suppose I'd have more time for my Scottish cousins :rolleyes:

Yup.. you appear to be rather mixed up, kiddo

Entirely consistent with my own impression of you

You scarcely identify as English/British/European then, instead preferring to identify as someone who happens to live in an international hub?
    Ah okay. I would've always thought Scotland would've come first...

I'm not a kiddo :rolleyes: and no I'm not necessarily British first. My heritage comes first.

What is consistent?

ReputationRep:
    I am a people
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I see myself as fully British, though I do have Irish and Scottish blood in my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I see myself as fully British, though I do have Irish and Scottish blood in my family.
    You're mostly English?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    British doesn't work as the English are more German than Celtic, the Scottish are Celtic-Norse and the Welsh are Celtic. Soo...
    what
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You're mostly English?
    Pretty much, my granddad on my dad's side was half Scottish and my mum's dad has several Irish and Aussie relatives, but since both my parents were classified as British I just class myself as fully British

ReputationRep:
    In my mind I don't really differentiate my British and English identities, but for people in the other British countries it's probably different. I'd say first I am British/English, then I'm European. I do feel quite a connection to Europe. I am an ethnic minority, but I've never lived in my native country nor do I speak the language but I do still have Black British identity and an African identity.

So I am British, English, European and African.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Given the recent referendum i had this debate. I initially said i saw myself as 'British' but when asked what that actually meant i stumbled. I'd say i'm equally Scottish and British but if i had to chose then i'd say Scottish.
    17% of Scots see themselves as either 'British' or 'more British than Scottish'. So most see themselves as more Scottish then British or solely Scottish, i fall into the former (just).

I think i was hesitant to say Scottish given that it was associated (in that context) of being 'not British' so to speak. However, my views changed on that subject so i'm happier to say 'Scottish' now.

My dad is English and all his family are English so technically i am more English than anything else (purely family tree based) given my mum's parents are Australian and Canadian originally. However, i was born in Scotland and my mum is Scottish so i see myself as firmly Scottish over English.

Also have Irish, German and French blood but that's way back.

ReputationRep:
    I'm British.
    Technically, I'm British Bangladeshi but I don't identify with the Bengali side. I've visited Bangladesh but even over there I'm British.
    It's probably due to me not having Bengali views or being able to speak Bengali fluently.
    I don't think I have or will ever say I'm European unless someone specifically asks 'Are you European?'
    I'll probably clarify and say I'm British.

ReputationRep:
    British, although I'm part-Irish but wouldn't really identify as such because I've never visited

I sort of like the 'pan-European identity' thing being discussed here, but the fact that we are surrounded by water somewhat complicates our relationship with our continental brothers and sisters.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in England, so I am English.

But I am mostly Irish and Scottish

ReputationRep:
    Citizen of the world, I reject nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I have Irish, Welsh, Scots, English and German, possibly elsewhere, I think a tiny bit of Polish (but might be because my ancestry is Eastern Germany)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by whorace)
    I have Irish, Welsh, Scots, English and German, possibly elsewhere, I think a tiny bit of Polish (but might be because my ancestry is Eastern Germany)
    Quite a variety I imagine it's just a lot simpler to put your main nationality on any form rather than all of those.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. I would've always thought Scotland would've come first...
    Why so? :confused:

I'm not a kiddo :rolleyes: and no I'm not necessarily British first. My heritage comes first

What is consistent?
    His comment is consistent with my view of him

(Original post by Free Kurdistan)
    Citizen of the world, I reject nationalism.
    No particular loyalty to Britain/the British people then?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.