Turn on thread page Beta

Mental health accomplishments - share your victories! watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Francis Urquhart)
    Hi Kvothe! I saw one of your thread's the other day but didn't reply as i felt that i had nothing useful to add.

Can i say though that that is awesome man! Good on you and i myself still suffer from this at times in regards to attempting to leave the home, are there any tips you can offer that trick my mind into wanting to leave the home for a while?

Thanks in advance and good on you once again man. I'm overtly positive because i feel that positivity can be infectious!

Best regards.
    Francis
    Was it the self-secure one? I closed it because I didn't think I'd get much help here. I need to speak to my therapist about it.

For me, specific pressures in my life were causing my anxiety to get out of control so by changing my circumstances I felt much freer. I had other anxieties though such as crossing the road (due to driver judgement), bridges (due to breaking them with my obese self) and even going into the staff room. I'd spend mins upon mins pacing. Talking about it to my therapist helped. I find talking only really helps when the person you're speaking to has something useful to say or is a good listener so I'm choosy about who gets my words.

I try to think about the task before me. If I'm spending my days in bed then I'll start by washing my face or something. I'll go downstairs and then I'm out the door. I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to say. I'm a negative person and my coping strategies are not always positive. You're betting off asking someone else but I'm flattered you quoted me. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Was it the self-secure one? I closed it because I didn't think I'd get much help here. I need to speak to my therapist about it.

For me, specific pressures in my life were causing my anxiety to get out of control so by changing my circumstances I felt much freer. I had other anxieties though such as crossing the road (due to driver judgement), bridges (due to breaking them with my obese self) and even going into the staff room. I'd spend mins upon mins pacing. Talking about it to my therapist helped. I find talking only really helps when the person you're speaking to has something useful to say or is a good listener so I'm choosy about who gets my words.

I try to think about the task before me. If I'm spending my days in bed then I'll start by washing my face or something. I'll go downstairs and then I'm out the door. I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to say. I'm a negative person and my coping strategies are not always positive. You're betting off asking someone else but I'm flattered you quoted me. Thanks.
    Heya and yeah it was! Understand you about the finding the right audience, which is a great point, it's incredibly important to find a good listener, and it's a shame that there aren't many people with that attribute these days but when you find em it's a gem!

The information about getting washed then going is really useful actually! Helps cut down on the potential amount of time spent procrastinating/fretting about going outside for someone like me! No problem on having a 'negative' outlook on things as we tend to base our opinions on the future on the events of our past. Luckily we're both young enough for our collective futures to take a brighter turn!

Best regards.and best of luck for the future Kvothe!
    From Francis.

ReputationRep:
    I went to see my new GP today (I moved house at the end of last year, so had to switch) and was kind of shocked when I mentioned my anxiety and he didn't just sweep past it as something that I've had for ages and have to live with - he actually started suggesting some steps we could take to help me, so that's awesome. I had forgotten that doctors were supposed to offer possible solutions rather than just nod along to your problems. Anyway, I was pretty anxious when I first got to the surgery because I get super tense outside and then always tend to go really dizzy as soon as I get inside but I got over it to speak to him. And I tried not to linger too much on the negative thoughts that sometimes come with a panic (AHH, if I can't do this how will I ever do that? etc etc).

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I went clubbing recently. There was a time when I was housebound because I was scared of leaving the house.

Big difference.
    As someone who is just at the beginning stages of trying to get out by myself, this gives me some hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slurry90)
    I have GAD and today I came across a situation that required me to call an ambulance and stay with the patient for over half an hour I didnt panic and calmly spoke to the patient keeping her calm too. Not so long back I could never of even dreamed of a day where me staying calm in a situation that required it greatly would ever be possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's bloodeh awesome slurry90! Good on you! What an awesome way to end the day, sometimes to inspire myself for the next day i listen to the song 'proud' by heather small. It goes "What have you done today to make yourself feel proud?"

It's cheesy i know but it helps me work out what i've achieved in one day and what i can achieve tomorrow.

Good on you and best regards, and best of luck for the future!

Positivity is infectious!

-Francis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis Urquhart)
    That's bloodeh awesome slurry90! Good on you! What an awesome way to end the day, sometimes to inspire myself for the next day i listen to the song 'proud' by heather small. It goes "What have you done today to make yourself feel proud?"

It's cheesy i know but it helps me work out what i've achieved in one day and what i can achieve tomorrow.

Good on you and best regards, and best of luck for the future!

Positivity is infectious!

-Francis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And now I will be going to sleep tonight with that song in my head its amazing how much your life can change given time! I too used to be scared of even leaving my bedroom and found life totally overwhelming! After 14months of high intensity CBT and some wonderful medication I am feeling so optimistic about my life and achieving things on a daily basis that I never dreamed I could!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

And now I will be going to sleep tonight with that song in my head its amazing how much your life can change given time! I too used to be scared of even leaving my bedroom and found life totally overwhelming! After 14months of high intensity CBT and some wonderful medication I am feeling so optimistic about my life and achieving things on a daily basis that I never dreamed I could!
    Haha a good song to have! Indeed it is, at my lowest i never thought i'd escape depression but i managed to do so and i'm very happy to hear that CBT and medication did its job! And yes, we're all so young that our past is behind us and the WORLD is ahead!

Goodnight and sleep well haha! Hope the song won't keep ya up!

Nunight
    -Francis

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud I went to therapy today. I was so close to cancelling it due to nerves and I was feeling really deflated but I pulled myself together and went and for once, I feel like a weight has been lifted instead of added after going. Also dyed my hair too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I'm proud I went to therapy today. I was so close to cancelling it due to nerves and I was feeling really deflated but I pulled myself together and went and for once, I feel like a weight has been lifted instead of added after going. Also dyed my hair too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done you! Sometimes it can be so tough to find the energy and motivation to go but its often those times when its the hardest that we really need to go!

Oo what colour? Ive never been brave enough to dye mine a different colour

ReputationRep:
    Well done you! Sometimes it can be so tough to find the energy and motivation to go but its often those times when its the hardest that we really need to go!

Oo what colour? Ive never been brave enough to dye mine a different colour
    Exactly. You are spot on! And I went ginger my natural is a dark ash blonde but I had been dyeing my hair ginger for years and last month I took the plunge and went blonde and bleaching it was the worst mistake I ever made so I've been trying to go back to ever since and managed to go fully back to ginger today

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great that you went to therapy! Glad to hear that it was a positive experience. Perhaps today's session can help motivate you to go next time too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Met up with my group for one class; I'd already answered all the questions on my own just needed tidying up. It was a fair bit of work but I think maybe they might like me more if I do all the work. I really am desperate for people to like me.

Also renewed my driving license. Managed to collect all the paperwork together though I did make a couple of mistakes on the form from being confused by the wording.

So overall quite a positive day. Now I have to work my ass off revising for a very important exam on monday. I know I'm going to fail so finding the motivation is difficult.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Despite not getting any medication/diagnosis yet, I managed to avoid a cataplexic attack for the past 2 days, which isn't due to a lack of emotion.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.