Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting along with people from different ethnic groups Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    My town has literally 0 cultural diversity, there is about a dozen Asian people in my school of 1,500 and that's around it, the rest are white British. For me, unmeaningly I am taken aback sometimes by people from different ethnic groups. I would like to think it wouldn't impact whether I would befriend them or not, but I'm sure this is something I will encounter when I'm at university, I am looking forward to meeting more diverse people
    It's quite the opposite in London. It's really a case of spot the white English child. Schools in several boroughs are dominated by children who speak English as a second language.

ReputationRep:
    Young negroes are usually very flippant. Always tossing out the usual throwaway buzzwords/cultural memes of the hour without any real independent analysis.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Do you generally find it easier to get along / develop friendships with certain ethnic groups (excluding your own) over others? Or do you consider yourself an all-rounder who has the ability to build rapport and forge strong friendships regardless of ethnic background?

I will admit that I generally find it much easier to get along with some ethnic groups over others. I definitely notice a disconnect with people from the ethnic groups that I find difficult to get along with.

What about you? Share your experiences.
    Went to international schools and lived in 4+ countries in my life; in short, I don't give a monkeys about what ethnicity you are.

If you're someone I find interesting, I'll try my best to get to know you. If not, I won't bother. Really don't see why an ethnicity should be the main source of judgement for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JusLakJelInit)
    Young negroes are usually very flippant. Always tossing out the usual throwaway buzzwords/cultural memes of the hour without any real independent analysis.
    This is presumptuous BS... You need to get out more and possibly get more black friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    This is presumptuous BS... You need to get out more and possibly get more black friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont live in the endz ygm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Went to international schools and lived in 4+ countries in my life; in short, I don't give a monkeys about what ethnicity you are.

If you're someone I find interesting, I'll try my best to get to know you. If not, I won't bother. Really don't see why an ethnicity should be the main source of judgement for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, but I think it's harder to get along with people from different ethnic groups in London because they're more likely to seek (and prefer) befriending people in their native, established communities.

ReputationRep:
    I get along with most ethnic groups and don't think about it then being "different." Ive gotten along with people who were ethnically white, south Asian, Chinese, Jewish etc.

I only ever had issues with a certain ethnic group tbh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I agree, but I think it's harder to get along with people from different ethnic groups in London because they're more likely to seek (and prefer) befriending people in their native, established communities.
    That might be true but it shows more about the person if they don't care to break down those ridiculous norms, than it does about you reaching out to them. Either way, ethnicity shouldn't come into play, the individual and their personality should.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a big city and my school is full of ethnic students (Indian, Pakistani etc) However most pupils only follow British Pop culture, and are characteristically British. Although this is a selective school, so i'm not sure what it's like in other schools. Everyone gets along very well and are all friendly to each other but I have noticed people of the same ethnic background tend to stick together/ form closer bonds but I guess that's natural human behaviour to gravitate towards your own race.

ReputationRep:
    i don't really define people by their ethnicity, and more likely to "click" with people who don't share tons of similarities strangely. I can obviously tell and aware when someone else is "different" from me but it isn't like a label i use to describe people.

I attend a black school and I'm black but I don't really have lots of black friends and care more about that person's personality and background than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter to me

ReputationRep:
    I duno anymore I find it hard to talk to people ten years older than me in general.. cant say ethnicity comes into it really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't get along very well with blacks/Asians.

My old best friend was Polish though and my ex was Ukrainian.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite outgoing so I get along with pretty much everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I just treat people as people. It isn't hard.

Don't really care about skin colour, creed, nationality or whatever, although sometimes there can be a language and cultural barrier. I've studied abroad, and I come from Luton. I kind of grew up embracing multi-culturalism, through school, and it makes me proud to think of that.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite the opposite in London. It's really a case of spot the white English child. Schools in several boroughs are dominated by children who speak English as a second language.
    I'm from a southern seaside town ahaha, so I've heard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.