Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU Referendum poll watch

• View Poll Results: Should we remain or leave the European Union?
    Leave
    51.58%
    Remain
    48.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Why are you trying to speak like a politician when the truth is you're just like a teenager who's doing AS politics this year? Shhhh.

I'm not even completely left; and I do not believe the EU can be made perfect. If you think the EU is the worst thing ever then you clearly don't know a thing about it other than what you have watched on ITV News since the Referendum fiasco, lmfao.

The EU are currently discussing a reform/treaty - what has whether or not they have done one to date got to do with anything? They're looking into one now.
    The worse thing made in the world? No. The worse thing made for the interests of the U.K.? Yes. Big difference. But it's more than that and is subjective I will admit. It could be very good for the likes of yourself and other federalists. But as someone who is not a federalist, it is the worst possible thing. It is the opposite of my beliefs. I detest federalism so I have every right to detest the EU. I disagree with the founding principles.

I said 'beneficial' treaty change. Any change does not necessarily serve the interests of the U.K. Take the current EU migration policy. Hardly beneficial for the members of the EU like the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoron)
    Not a good enough reason to stay. I personally want to see if we do become a third world nation like Somalia if we really do leave. That's all I hear from your camp
    Nobody's ever said we'll become a third world nation, please don't be so hyperbolic. The economy will suffer hugely, and the fact that people try to deny that shows how delusional the leavers really are. You're presented with facts and you're completely ignoring them, because it doesn't fit what you want to believe. I think if we do leave, people voting out will receive a very harsh wake-up call, but it'll be too late by then.

ReputationRep:
    Something I've been wondering about; when you're a EU student who's studying in Scotland, you pay the same tuition fees as Scotish people and you get your money paid back by the government. If the UK were to leave the EU, would EU students have to pay international tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Now Cameron's shameful deal has been revealed, it look like TSR won't back the tories and stay in anymore.
    Depends which Tories you're referring to, in fairness.

ReputationRep:
    The worse thing made in the world? No. The worse thing made for the interests of the U.K.? Yes. Big difference. But it's more than that and is subjective I will admit. It could be very good for the likes of yourself and other federalists. But as someone who is not a federalist, it is the worst possible thing. It is the opposite of my beliefs. I detest federalism so I have every right to detest the EU. I disagree with the founding principles.

I said 'beneficial' treaty change. Any change does not necessarily serve the interests of the U.K. Take the current EU migration policy. Hardly beneficial for the members of the EU like the UK
    Except the treaty/reform hasn't been proposed yet so how can you say it won't be beneficial? I'm not even a federalist - I literally don't look into it that far; I don't necessarily see the issue with federalism anyway but whatever. Believe what you believe and respect that others will disagree with you so don't just get all irate because of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Nobody's ever said we'll become a third world nation, please don't be so hyperbolic. The economy will suffer hugely, and the fact that people try to deny that shows how delusional the leavers really are. You're presented with facts and you're completely ignoring them, because it doesn't fit what you want to believe. I think if we do leave, people voting out will receive a very harsh wake-up call, but it'll be too late by then.
    Present me with one fact that our economy will suffer. Do not say 'facts' when none have been said. Cameron only today said "I have not said the UK will not be prosperous outside the EU, we are a great nation, I just think we will be even better in the EU". There you go from your beloved stay leader

Why do countries all around the world who are not in the EU, prosper and get by fine?

ReputationRep:
    I hope not but What happens if on 23rd June. The vote is EXACTLY 50/50 What happens after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Do you know why the deal was bad?

Because the EU doesn't need the UK. It's ****ing embarrassing seeing all these people getting their pitchforks out and making these ridiculous demands. We need the EU. The EU knows it, David Cameron (even though I despise him) knows it, every economist and businessperson in the country knows it, but these armchair economists know better.

The EU is laughing at us. I'd be laughing at us if I wasn't stuck in this ****ing awful country.
    Not really. The EU does need the UK. It's the 5th largest economy in the world, making it the 2nd strongest economy in the EU. If the UK were to leave, that would set the precedent for the beginning of the end. The EU would lose stability and I wouldn't be suprised if other countries eventually start leaving too. The UK is a net importer of goods from the EU. The EU, I'm sure, does not want to lose out on the massive value of exports to the UK. You make it sound as if the EU is a necessity, but can you actually give any reasons why the UK 'needs' the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)
    I hope not but What happens if on 23rd June. The vote is EXACTLY 50/50 What happens after?
    Probably a recount then either a revote or they would take it as a 'no', because the country wasn't decided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Now Cameron's shameful deal has been revealed, it look like TSR won't back the tories and stay in anymore.
    Why is this deal shameful?

From I saw he said UK will not be part of the "ever greter Union" agenda.

ReputationRep:
    Present me with one fact that our economy will suffer. Do not say 'facts' when none have been said. Cameron only today said "I have not said the UK will not be prosperous outside the EU, we are a great nation, I just think we will be even better in the EU". There you go from your beloved stay leader

Why do countries all around the world who are not in the EU, prosper and get by fine?
    What countries are you referring to, exactly?

China prospers because most of its population have literally no workers rights. It's effectively cheap slave labour for the rest of the world, which is why most production is done there and why they have such a strong economy.

The US prospers largely because of its circumstances in the World Wars.

Who else is prospering? Let's have a look...

Germany? They're in the EU.

UK? We're in the EU.

France? They're in the EU too.

So, what countries are you referring to?

As for the facts, 27 out of 28 economists polled said that the British economy would be worse if we left the EU. Now I really wonder why you, and all the other leave voters, know so much more about the economy than actual economists.

ReputationRep:
    Okay we are weak (5th largest economy in the world) Australia, New Zealand, USA , Canada aren't apart of some ridiculous large government that decides all of their laws, the fact is U.K is one of the largest members of we leave the European project is doomed, it would be different if a small member wacted to leave but we fund large parts of the eu.

ReputationRep:
    Are Australia, NZ and Canada poor and a 3rd world country ? nope and we have a bigger gdp. Project fear is starting.

ReputationRep:
    Leave.

ReputationRep:
    When the UK voted in 1973, it was for a common market. Now in 2016, we pretty much have a single country disguised as the European Union. If we stay in, we will lose our sovereignty for good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't begin to know the ins and outs (wahey) of EU and what it means not just now but long-term, so I won't be voting. However, if I had to, I would vote to stay in just because Michael Gove, and the Daily Mail comment section overwhelmingly, are voting out. They're voting out for reasons, and none of them can be good for human lives.

It doesn't matter, it's a 50/50 vote and most people voting don't really know what either option means, so it'll go down to who has the better campaign, like No To AV.

ReputationRep:
    We wil be a 3rd world cesspit in 20 years if we stay, Turkey joining Albania and God knows who else the NHS will fail house prices will rise unless everyone who comes under freedom of movement is a doctor scientist and engineer (which we know is rubbish ) more likely to be car washers claiming working tax credits, pensions will fail because these people can't contribute . The economy will fail there will probably be mass riots, wars and generally a **** place to be . If we leave we can decide our fate rather than an unelected eu president in Brussels , skilled migration of talented people from across the globe .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Okay we are weak (5th largest economy in the world) Australia, New Zealand, USA , Canada aren't apart of some ridiculous large government that decides all of their laws
    So because a few countries have good economies without being in the EU, the UK economy wouldn't suffer if we left the EU? Again, please explain why you know so much better than economists. I'm genuinely curious.

the fact is U.K is one of the largest members of we leave the European project is doomed, it would be different if a small member wacted to leave but we fund large parts of the eu.
    ...What? What's even your point? "We'll destroy our own economy AND everyone elses!" That's ****ing fantastic, I think you've just converted me. (not really)

aren't apart of some ridiculous large government that decides all of their laws
    Sorry, what? Do you even know what laws the EU have decided for us?

ReputationRep:
    If the UK leaves the EU it would not turn into a third world country for gods sake. In fact maybe it is even better to have short term economic difficulties that could be easily countered considering the EU is going insane.

ReputationRep:
    Voted to leave, and I sincerely hope it happens.

How is importing vast numbers of low-skilled Eastern European immigrants, depressing wages and damaging the social fabric of the UK, better than importing educated, skilled immigrants from outside the EU that create wealth, scientific research, technological innovation, soft power and better relations with the major powers of tomorrow?

Inside the EU, the UK is merely a nation to be told to keep quiet and play along until the USE is formed regardless of the cost to the UK. Outside, it can actually control its future and shape itself into something better than it is today.

No I don't agree with the morons who say all immigration is bad for the UK, clearly they are fools. There's value in importing from certain countries. Simply put, I don't see what Eastern Europeans bring to the UK.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.