Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random.guy)
    Well that's £160 every month you're saving by going to the cheaper halls. Unless you found the halls to be in a poor condition, like its cold/damp, kitchen and toilets are a tip, is there a reason you need it to be brand spanking new? Well if it's too much for your parent's and you hate the cheapest option is there a go between in terms of price and quality of the accommodation?
    Well the newer ones in a better area, i.e. more safe. I've read the reviews for other halls and for two of them it says the area itself if quite dodgy. Another hall isn't en-suite and I really can't share a toilet or bathroom. And the last one is just absolutely tiny and way too cramped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JubilationXXV)
    They're definitely not paying for it. Which is why I want to go for the more expensive and better option because I know the finances would just be down to me.
    Fair enough, weigh up the pros and cons and work out your total living costs so you can see if you can work it out. You seem pretty set on living there, so I think you've already made your mind up

ReputationRep:
    Considering it's not central london, yeh i think that's expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    But it is in Wembley which is a really busy area...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Fair enough, weigh up the pros and cons and work out your total living costs so you can see if you can work it out. You seem pretty set on living there, so I think you've already made your mind up
    I definitely have...I just need for my parents to come around...I don't know how to convince them

ReputationRep:
    It's a ridiculous price, but I study in Sheffield so I guess it's dependent on what you are. I can get a nice penthouse for that type of money up here

ReputationRep:
    I definitely have...I just need for my parents to come around...I don't know how to convince them
    Try and negotiate / compromise or give them a reasoned opinion why you should live there. I.e. "I need to live within x distance of the uni" or "this is the average price of accom there, so I will need to grit my teeth and pay the extra money every week"

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, for zone 1 his rent is about normal for that area he should be 120-150/month for a decent room on the private market. Overpriced TBH.

Edit: He's ensuite, it's normal pricing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    It's a ridiculous price, but I study in Sheffield so I guess it's dependent on what you are. I can get a nice penthouse for that type of money up here
    How much are you paying?

ReputationRep:
    Well the newer ones in a better area, i.e. more safe. I've read the reviews for other halls and for two of them it says the area itself if quite dodgy. Another hall isn't en-suite and I really can't share a toilet or bathroom. And the last one is just absolutely tiny and way too cramped
    Sounds like you have your mind made up tbh, which is fine if that's what you really want. If you're really dead set on going to those halls you'll just have to try and explain that to your parents, they may agree that you should pay more for a safer neighbourhood, either way you're going to have to figure something out for your finances...maybe tell them you have a job which will cover the rent. Have you thought of cheaper private accommodation though? You don't "need" to be in halls for your first year.

ReputationRep:
    But it is in Wembley which is a really busy area...
    Is this private halls or halls through uni?
    If it's private halls it is 100% over priced. These are aimed at internationals who really don't understanc that they are over paying.

ReputationRep:
    Okay he's got an en-suite, now I understand why it's so expensive. That's a normal price dude for an en-suite in that location, you ain't gonna get much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    It's extortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ron_trns)
    Okay he's got an en-suite, now I understand why it's so expensive. That's a normal price dude for an en-suite in that location, you ain't gonna get much cheaper.
    Haha I'm a girl. But thank you I guess

ReputationRep:
    Is this private halls or halls through uni?
    If it's private halls it is 100% over priced. These are aimed at internationals who really don't understanc that they are over paying.
    Halls through uni

ReputationRep:
    How much are you paying?
    I pay £110 for a studio, but it's a private property so there's bills on top of that so it's a little over £500 a month total. If you can swing the cash then I'd go for it but make sure it's a really nice place instead of a dinky entry level 1st year accommodation block

ReputationRep:
    Go a few roads down near wembley stadium around alperton and you'll find apartments for a much cheaper price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Exactly. When I did my degree in Sheff I spent £60 a week in a spacious 3 bed shared house. The prices are simply extortionate when you start looking in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It would not be expensive if it were closer in London, but it is way too expensive for Wembley, which is in zone 4. Is it London Met that offers accommodation there?

Wembley is also far away from where everything is happening in London so you may have to factor in the cost of commuting for nights out etc.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.