Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you want to earn in your 20s,30s,40s...? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Politics with Human Rights, and with good grades and a bit of luck, after getting an MA from a good University and maybe a PhD if I want to teach, I could reasonably be looking at 35.000/60.000/100.000+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABLOW)
    Even if you did earn that amount of money.. what would you spend it on?where would it go towards? I don't think it's healthy for anyone to posses that amount of money whether it was through hard work or not.
    These days, thats not that much money at all. I would spend it on my whole family, treat my parents with luxuries they never had when they were younger. There are so many things I could do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    A chemical engineer would not make 6 figures in England no. But abroad yes. My uncle is a chemical engineer and works in saudi, he makes £800 a day. And Investment bankers make 100-200k in their 30s easily, by the age 40 you could be making 400k+
    Your IB numbers are way low. 400k can happen in your late 20s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Depends, my aspirational track is the IBD > PE one so:
    20s:
    £70k - £300k
    30s:
    £300k - £1.5mil
    40s:
    £2mil+

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How are you planning to make £300k -£1.5mill in your 30s through IB? Even if you managed to become a MD during your 30s you would only be looking at about 400-600k tops, no way could you reach £1mill +

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to pass the 40k mark someday.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How are you planning to make £300k -£1.5mill in your 30s through IB? Even if you managed to become a MD during your 30s you would only be looking at about 400-600k tops, no way could you reach £1mill +
    LOL, you need educating my friend.

FO first year Analyst is:
    £50k base + £4-6k signing + £15-30k bonus or £70-80k. You'll hit £100k all-in in 3 years.

Associate is more ~£150-220k

VP is more ~£250-350k

Directors are ~£400k to like £1mil

MDs ~£800-900k on the very low end to about ~£3mil+

Private Equity will have carried interest awards of several mil, churning away in the fund before it gets paid out - so upside is a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Btw, most people become MDs in their 30s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends, my aspirational track is the IBD > PE one so:
    20s:
    £70k - £300k
    30s:
    £300k - £1.5mil
    40s:
    £2mil+

EDIT:
    If I don't end up on that track, I'd settle for something like this

20s:
    £30k-100k
    30s:
    £100k - £150k
    40s:
    £150k+

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woah woah woah that's a LOT m8. Do you really think someone can make £300000 in their twenties? Holy cow

And do you really need that much money...?

Edit: never mind, I saw your other posts, but why do you really need that much money lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Woah woah woah that's a LOT m8. Do you really think someone can make £300000 in their twenties? Holy cow
    Did you not know about finance compensation or? Don't know why people are finding this so surprising.

Bear in mind that a lot of people are weeded out before they hit these numbers. And yes, a 28-29 year old VP could make that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL, you need educating my friend.

FO first year Analyst is:
    £50k base + £4-6k signing + £15-30k bonus or £70-80k. You'll hit £100k all-in in 3 years.

Associate is more ~£150-220k

VP is more ~£250-350k

Directors are ~£400k to like £1mil

MDs ~£800-900k on the very low end to about ~£3mil+

Private Equity will have carried interest awards of several mil, churning away in the fund before it gets paid out - so upside is a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually yeh wasnt taking into account MDs bonus lol.
    Gosh IB wannabes are mean

ReputationRep:
    Did you not know about finance compensation or? Don't know why people are finding this so surprising.

Bear in mind that a lot of people are weeded out before they hit these numbers. And yes, a 28-29 year old VP could make that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol thought everyone knew about IB salaries. But like you said, job security is absolutely shite. Plus most analysts move into private equity anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Enough to be happy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    Lol thought everyone knew about IB salaries. But like you said, job security is absolutely shite. Plus most analysts move into private equity anyways.
    Yeah, it's not easy to make that money at all. But, doesn't change the fact that the comp is there to be made if people are willing to put in the hard work/use their smarts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to marry someone who earns hundreds of thousands in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. Or millions. I'm not fussy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Actually yeh wasnt taking into account MDs bonus lol.
    Gosh IB wannabes are mean
    Hahaha, it's all just banter in the end dude. When (if, for the pessimists) we get in we'll have loads of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlitterandGold-x)
    I'd love to pass the 40k mark someday.
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    My future investment banking plans
    20s: 100k to 400k
    30s: 400k to £1mil
    40s: £1mil to £3mil+

ReputationRep:
    Would be disappointed if I ended my twenties on anything less than £100,000. Ideally at the peak of my career, I'd want to be on at least £250,000 by my forties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    Actually they dont.

% of an analyst class that get into PE is same % that get into IB: 1-2%

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Came for the unrealistic expectations, stayed for the food.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.