Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I forget about studying medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Can you apply for LTFT during your foundation years if you have a child during medical school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes. You may also be eligible for special circumstances in the foundation application so you would be guaranteed a place in your first choice foundation school (but not at a particular hospital) if your score meets the cutoff for appointment nationally.

ReputationRep:
    I recieved an offer to study medicine today...I'm 35 and will be 36 before I start.

Regarding having children, I'm recently separated but have my three children very regularly and as a experienced parent can tell you that you will always find a reason to wait a bit, for some other milestone that would make it easier. You'll wait forever if you do that. You'll have them when you have them and make the situation work.

Regarding age...who cares! I want to follow Monte Cristos path which will put me at 50 if I make it...again, who cares! Medicine is a career you can do something useful in until the day you pop your clogs if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorobun)
    Most universities require 6 A*-A grades in GCSE unfortunately I didn't get those grades, but I am doing Biology and Chemistry A levels if I get the universities A level grade say 3 As and a B would I still get in ? Or would they not accept me since I didn't get my GCSE grades ?
    Thankyou
    Honestly, this all comes down to the universities you choose to apply to, and making some comment on your performance at GCSE when you write your personal statement. Take time to research medical schools and play to your strengths. I can't stress this enough.

Some universities, like Barts, are very strict when it comes to GCSEs. Others, like Liverpool, would turn a blind eye so long as you justify your grades (not by making excuses, but by reflecting) and you have other merits ie. long-term work/voluntary experience in a caring environment.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't even started university yet! I know some people who went to uni on Bio Med/similar courses planning to do Grad Med eventually, but actually over 3 years they changed their minds. However, if you still feel the same way in a few years time (you've got a few years to think about this now), 30 isn't too old. I'm 21 and in second year studying a completely unrelated course at uni, but due to personal experiences over the past few years I'm now planning to apply for Grad Med. If I got in, I wouldn't be graduated until my late 20's, then I'd have to be a junior. It's an unusual route I'll admit, but I kinda figure that if it's what I want to do, I should just go for it, because I'd be dissatisfied if I didn't give it a shot and always wonder 'what if'.

As for the 'planning to have kids'... You never know what life is going to throw at you. You don't know when you'll be having kids, but you do know you want to do medicine. Go with what's certain. Everything else will fall into place.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.