Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would taking three subjects at AS be detrimental to my university application. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etjayne)
    They do not care. They care about the three A levels you take to A2.

I have no GCSE's and am taking three A levels (AS and A2) in six months as a private candidate. I have received offers from all four universities I applied to and they all told me all we really care about are the A level grades and MAT score. I think the presence or not of a fourth AS is about as far down the list as is possible.
    And how are you getting those offers without the GCSE requirements ? Because there are clearly GCSE requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    And how are you getting those offers without the GCSE requirements ? Because there are clearly GCSE requirements.
    They all waived the requirement. As I was repeatedly told, if you can get A*s in your A levels then obviously your English is at least grade C GCSE.

It is up to the individual departments who they let in and what their offer is. They can choose to waive any requirement if they see a reason for doing so. What is the point of making someone over the age of 50 waste time getting a GCSE in English when I am taking three A levels which I will get A*'s in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etjayne)
    They all waived the requirement. As I was repeatedly told, if you can get A*s in your A levels then obviously your English is at least grade C GCSE.

It is up to the individual departments who they let in and what their offer is. They can choose to waive any requirement if they see a reason for doing so. What is the point of making someone over the age of 50 waste time getting a GCSE in English when I am taking three A levels which I will get A*'s in?
    Even if the GCSE English requirement is A/A* not C. As well as needing 8 As in GCSE like medicine requires?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    Even if the GCSE English requirement is A/A* not C. As well as needing 8 As in GCSE like medicine requires?
    Any department can offer what they want to an individual applicant. Some may never do such a thing but in principle they could.

I just looked at Cambridge medicine requirements for GCSE:
    • grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
    • two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science
    Who the heck wants 8 A's in GCSE? Imperial ask for 5 with grades AAABB.

And I bet for someone similar to my situation they'd waive them.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.