The Student Room Group

If heat rises, why don't fires just float away?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CantGainWeight
Christianity 1-0 Atheists

They do float away. The bit you see is the heated gasses from the combustion rising quickly above the fuel. The fuel doesn't float away because if it's liquid or solid it has a higher density than the air at even at high temperatures. If the fuel is gas it would float away also, but burns on a timescale similar to heat propagation through the gas.

I don't see what this has to do with superstition though.
Original post by CantGainWeight
Christianity 1-0 Atheists

You've made the common error of assuming that the fire is the red and yellow stuff you see but in actual fact, fire is the flux by which the dead souls of plants are carried to the heavens when they are finally released from their cruel imprisonment in rotting wood and fossil fuels through the mercy of heat. The red and yellow stuff is simply energy released from the happiness of the plants when they realise that their ordeal is over. That's not fire! Once released, the plant souls carry their happy heat away with them and start their journey towards heaven. So yes OP, fires do float away, you're just thinking about it the wrong way.

Source: I studied Chemistry A Level
(edited 8 years ago)
It does, how else do you think the sun was formed?
Original post by TeeEm
b2.jpg

Pretty sure you could set up some scripts to detect stupidity/inanity and then respond with appropriate imgs.
Original post by Plagioclase
You've made the common error of assuming that the fire is the red and yellow stuff you see but in actual fact, fire is the flux by which the dead souls of plants are carried to the heavens when they are finally released from their cruel imprisonment in rotting wood and fossil fuels through the mercy of heat. The red and yellow stuff is simply energy released from the happiness of the plants when they realise that their ordeal is over. That's not fire! Once released, the plant souls carry their happy heat away with them and start their journey towards heaven. So yes OP, fires do float away, you're just thinking about it the wrong way.

Source: I studied Chemistry A Level
it was a joke. jesus christ you don't have to get out your chemistry textbook

Quick Reply

Latest