Turn on thread page Beta

Is it bad to lack opinions on things I lack knowledge on? watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. Rectifying what?

I am not so good at debate but I am capable of making a case for most stances, though, so even if I'm undecided, I can at least form a pseudo-opinion for a lot of things. For instance, at an open day for Cambz some years ago, I once had to debate the legalisation of some class B drugs such as cannabis. I was staunchly against the issue at the time but it was fun being in the pro-legalisation team. An intellectual challenge.
    This colour hurts my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    :nothing:

I can live with 2nd.

I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. Rectifying what?

I am not so good at debate but I am capable of making a case for most stances, though, so even if I'm undecided, I can at least form a pseudo-opinion for a lot of things. For instance, at an open day for Cambz some years ago, I once had to debate the legalisation of some class B drugs such as cannabis. I was staunchly against the issue at the time but it was fun being in the pro-legalisation team. An intellectual challenge.
    Can you bump this post later so I remember to reply?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    This colour hurts my eyes.
    My reply to you was

:nothing:
    I can live with 2nd
    Your reply was premature - before I'd a chance to rectify my error.

ReputationRep:
    You can remedy that by reading. All you need is to let your brain eat and you can accomplish that through reading books. And it is okay not to know everything. It is better just to listen to people so you can learn.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Can you bump this post later so I remember to reply?
    I certainly can.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ellej93)
    You can remedy that by reading. All you need is to let your brain eat and you can accomplish that through reading books. And it is okay not to know everything. It is better just to listen to people so you can learn.
    I've a fertile brain and I'm always receptive to knowledge . I just get hyperfocused on certain areas of interests and neglect more common things. The most recent book I read was on music pedagogy.

I usually find most people say nothing I've already thought about but thank you .

ReputationRep:
    It is perhaps bad that you lack knowledge, but not forming opinions without it is something to be celebrated.

It's society's greatest tragedy that so many people engage with ideas, dogmatically, when really they have no clue what they're talking about. Politics, economics, science, law. All these things take a little bit of effort to understand, and a little bit more effort to form a valid opinion about. Take your time.

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad to lack opinions on things I lack knowledge on?

There is so much I don't know and I find it hard to form opinions without some of the facts.

This can be frustrating to other people who jump to conclusions more readily.

Which is better?
    Absolutely not, its an admirable quality to be able to admit when you arent sure of something. When I was at school there were too many people who voiced their opinions on matters that they knew very little about, only gain the fact that they had put someone else down.
    Its good that you think of an answer before you voice your opinion - I wish i could do that more often

ReputationRep:
    No, that's a good thing tbh

It makes you less ignorant

ReputationRep:

There is so much I don't know and I find it hard to form opinions without some of the facts.

Which is better?

Which is better?
    I think we're on the same boat but hey it's not really a bad thing. Don't frustrate yourself too much.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that there's nothing wrong with lacking opinions if you're not well-informed about the topic at hand, if anything, it's a responsible, sensible mindset.

However, ignorance is no excuse. Just because you don't know enough on certain topics and issues, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to research it. It's reasonable to assume that every adult person in the Western world is expected to know certain things about certain topics - politics, economics, geography, human rights and so forth. A lot of these fields deal with everyday issues that very much affect your daily life so it's almost a necessity to know about them. As educated people living in an educated nation, it's our duty to know, to get to know more and to try to understand the world.

Ignorant population is the easiest to control. Don't let yourself be ignorant.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It sounds good when discussing big issues like GM that Ethereal World mentioned or perhaps some current events matter.

The problem is when when it comes to more common points of conversation where you're not expected to have much knowledge but might still be pushed for your stance.
    Then just be honest and say you need to look into further or don't have enough knowledge to comment on that particular point.

ReputationRep:
    From an interview with the 10/10 top-notch legend Bertrand Russell:

Interviewer: “Do you think there’s a practical reason for having a religious belief, for many people?”

Russell: “Well, there can’t be a practical reason for believing what isn’t true. That’s quite… at least, I rule it out as impossible. Either the thing is true, or it isn’t. If it is true, you should believe it, and if it isn’t, you shouldn’t. And if you can’t find out whether it’s true or whether it isn’t, you should suspend judgment. But you can’t… it seems to me a fundamental dishonesty and a fundamental treachery to intellectual integrity to hold a belief because you think it’s useful, and not because you think it’s true.”

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.