5.26%
    Prefer not to say
    0%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    You ever been to the folk festival?
    I Went to the Holt Music festive last year ....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Big up West Yorkshire!

If I ever post something, feel free to read it in a strange mixture of RP and Bradford thuglife.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Or the party of immigrants or least representative city of the UK.
    We have alot of MPs in Yorkshire
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I did already....says quite a lot about your persona

He does fit quite a few Irish stereotypes:lol:

Get one then. Traditional southwestern accents are the best
    Nay ! I'm quite comfortable with my posh accent
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I like my accent, I would like to see all schools in the country start teaching elocution lessons to rid Britain of regional accents; a region-less, clear accent is the best move for Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I like my accent, I would like to see all schools in the country start teaching elocution lessons to rid Britain of regional accents; a region-less, clear accent is the best move for Britain.
    That wouldn't have any effect though, people would just speak the regional accent the second they got outside the classroom. Besides, there is no accent that isn't regional. Even RP is now effectively just a non-working-class southern/south-eastern accent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That wouldn't have any effect though, people would just speak the regional accent the second they got outside the classroom. Besides, there is no accent that isn't regional. Even RP is now effectively just a non-working-class southern/south-eastern accent.
    Received Pronunciation is much less defined to one region than other accents in British isles which are very region-based. I disagree, if children are taught from a young age at school to speak in a certain way, or face punishment, the children will grow up speaking the right way. There are difficulties with the idea making it impractical, but a gradual implementation is needed to correct the bad speech in most regions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I like that idea ...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I'm up in the arse end of Scotland atm so I'll never be able to go to a meet up.

cranbrook_aspie my accent is faint Irish. I don't sound like a culchie. DMcGovern probably does though.
    Well thanks for throwing me under the bus Airmed.
    But yeah...
    Culchie here - ye can usually tell even from the way I type sometimes...

Although my uncles in Kerry are worse, and my other uncle from Derrylin has a Cavan accent and it's class

Hazzer I like how it says Ireland.

MRW it says Ireland:

ReputationRep:
    Received Pronunciation is much less defined to one region than other accents in British isles which are very region-based. I disagree, if children are taught from a young age at school to speak in a certain way, or face punishment, the children will grow up speaking the right way. There are difficulties with the idea making it impractical, but a gradual implementation is needed to correct the bad speech in most regions.
    Yes, but the only regions in which it's actually normal to hear it on the street is the south-east and to an extent the south-west.

No, because the majority of the speech that young children hear doesn't come from their teacher, it comes from their parents, who obviously wouldn't have had these lessons and would speak the regional, and their friends, who would be influenced by their parents. Besides, I don't see why it's actually needed. There's nothing wrong with speaking with a non-RP accent as long as it's understandable by other English speakers. No dialect, including RP, is superior in linguistic terms to any other, just different.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, but the only regions in which it's actually normal to hear it on the street is the south-east and to an extent the south-west.

No, because the majority of the speech that young children hear doesn't come from their teacher, it comes from their parents, who obviously wouldn't have had these lessons and would speak the regional, and their friends, who would be influenced by their parents. Besides, I don't see why it's actually needed. There's nothing wrong with speaking with a non-RP accent as long as it's understandable by other English speakers. No dialect, including RP, is superior in linguistic terms to any other, just different.
    I think RP sounds better, it has been document non-RP speakers are discriminated against at job interviews, RP is associated with higher-middle class or above by many, and it is easy to understand by ESL speakers. There will always be difficulty in encouraging the spread of the language but in the long-term, pushing the language in schools will bring a harmonised accent to most people, in the same way it is the standard accent for pronunciation teaching at independent schools.

ReputationRep:
    You complain about the EU killing British culture but want to kill regional culture?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    You complain about the EU killing British culture but want to kill regional culture?
    A culture is based on the activities individuals do, or the beliefs groups of individuals have, not an accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Interestingly i know for certain that 5 Tory MP's are all in Yorkshire. Seems we're the party of the north.
    If you can call Yorkshire northern

ReputationRep:
    A culture is based on the activities individuals do, or the beliefs groups of individuals have, not an accent.
    I'd say speaking in an accent is part of a culture.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    So you're nationalists, which means being proud of who you are, where you're from, but you'd like to get rid of one of the few things that defines your nationality/where you're from and your personality?
    E.g. I like being a culchie out of the bogs - weirdly - if someone tried to make me and the people in my town talk like the West Brits in Dublin people'd be up in arms.

*I say Dublin because Belfast people don't exactly have a posh-sounding accent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd say speaking in an accent is part of a culture.
    I would inclined to accept an argument that places language a building block for a culture, however, this is not true with accents. An individual with one accent speaking the same language as another individual can share the same culture, live in the same, and do all of the same things, their accent had no impact on their culture.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This will be useful for determining what accent to read people's posts in in my head
    PROSM. It hasn't let me give you any rep for a while now which is a bit annoying.😮
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Fair play what part of London if you dont mind me asking ?
    Near Tottenham. I'm maybe 15 minutes from the Spurs Stadium and my road is literally just off White Hart Lane (the road is called White Hart Lane as well as the stadium )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Near Tottenham. I'm maybe 15 minutes from the Spurs Stadium and my road is literally just off White Hart Lane (the road is called White Hart Lane as well as the stadium )
    Remember my Greek friend I told you about? He has a season ticket and goes to every single home match :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Remember my Greek friend I told you about? He has a season ticket and goes to every single home match :lol:
    My Greek Aunty does the exact same xD

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.