Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why can't adults do a levels watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Do an access course. Takes less time, is accepted by most universities that run nursing courses afaik. The access students who were on my pre reg nursing course were some of the best prepared students on the course.
    I will thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glamourprincess)
    I will thanks
    I did A-levels as an adult, despite the college trying to make me to Access. I came to the conclusion that colleges probably get more funding/can charge more for Access students than A-level students, considering how much time the Access students got compared with us A-level students. Also why the college tries to make everyone who is over 18 go onto Access rather than A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    I did A-levels as an adult, despite the college trying to make me to Access. I came to the conclusion that colleges probably get more funding/can charge more for Access students than A-level students, considering how much time the Access students got compared with us A-level students. Also why the college tries to make everyone who is over 18 go onto Access rather than A-levels.
    Probably true

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about Access is that if you're over 24 the 24+ loan you take out to pat for it gets written off when you progress to uni. A-levels would come out of your own pocket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    The good thing about Access is that if you're over 24 the 24+ loan you take out to pat for it gets written off when you progress to uni. A-levels would come out of your own pocket.
    I heard there be 19 + loans and you have to pay it back I'm 20 really

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    I have done exams as external candidate. I have only paid for the exam fees.

These have ranged from 100£ per igcse and say 550£ for each a level session.

And again for course books etc.

But I dont pay for tuition etc.

You can...

Email the local private candidate centre.
    I'm also resitting exams as a private(external) candidate and I just pay the exam fees + subject cash-ins to get a overall grade.

The amount you get charged for your exam entry depends upon the time at which you pay the fees as there might be late fee charges, which cost quite considerably a lot. I'm paying £60 x 9 exams = £540 + (£20 cash in each for 2 subjects) = £580 for everything, which isn't cheap.

I also don't pay for tuition there are plenty of resources online, past papers and TSR to ask questions. @OP

ReputationRep:
    You can get it for any level 3 qualification. It isn't a special loan for Access students only. Unless the rules have changed in the last 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I'm also resitting exams as a private(external) candidate and I just pay the exam fees + subject cash-ins to get a overall grade.

The amount you get charged for your exam entry depends upon the time at which you pay the fees as there might be late fee charges, which cost quite considerably a lot. I'm paying £60 x 9 exams = £540 + (£20 cash in each for 2 subjects) = £580 for everything, which isn't cheap.

I also don't pay for tuition there are plenty of resources online, past papers and TSR to ask questions. @OP
    cash ins are automatic, and so are free Lol. Your centres is doing dodgy stuff :P

I got charged an invigilation fee as well :L
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    You can get it for any level 3 qualification. It isn't a special loan for Access students only. Unless the rules have changed in the last 2 years.
    That's true. But it only gets written off for Access courses.

ReputationRep:
    cash ins are automatic, and so are free Lol. Your centres is doing dodgy stuff :P

I got charged an invigilation fee as well :L
    The center I eventually went to was the cheapest option the others were charging skyrocket prices.

My invigilation fee was included in each exam fee. £40 extra for cash-ins didn't bother me providing my exam entries and everything was sorted out stress free so I don't have any hassle on results day when I've got my uni place on the line.

Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    You can do a levels or btecs if you are 18+. Who said you can't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    You can do a levels or btecs if you are 18+. Who said you can't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    City of Bristol college

ReputationRep:
    Try a different college but really you should be able to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The center I eventually went to was the cheapest option the others were charging skyrocket prices.

My invigilation fee was included in each exam fee. £40 extra for cash-ins didn't bother me providing my exam entries and everything was sorted out stress free so I don't have any hassle on results day when I've got my uni place on the line.

Wbu?
    I have used 2 centres in the city I live in. One is a tutor centre, the other is a school.

Yes the tutor centre charges more, but when I did igcses in January session - they didnt do it at the school, so it was my only real option.

True I guess yeah.

City of Bristol college
    go to 3a tutors in bristol

ReputationRep:
    I thought a levels will give me more options but I mainly want to get into nursing
    If you want to get into nursing then you should do an access course which universities will accept, plus you should be able to get the 24+ career loan (if you are over 24) where they pay for your course and once you graduate from your Nursing degree the loan gets written off which is a good option.

ReputationRep:
    I have used 2 centres in the city I live in. One is a tutor centre, the other is a school.

Yes the tutor centre charges more, but when I did igcses in January session - they didnt do it at the school, so it was my only real option.

True I guess yeah.

School centers are generally a lot less stressful and more reassuring personally as they have plenty of other candidates whereas tutor centers are ...50-50 depending where you go.

ReputationRep:
    School centers are generally a lot less stressful and more reassuring personally as they have plenty of other candidates whereas tutor centers are ...50-50 depending where you go.
    Hmmn perhaps. The centre I used were flexible with time etc. since I was the only candidate writing the papers at times, I could start when I wanted etc.
    no interruptions from other kids, they also gave a larger table

The other centre(the school) are okay, they messed up the fomrula booklet though last year :l

But its okay I suppose, a centre is a centre after all :P

I have to go with the cheaper option though which in probably all cases will be a school.

ReputationRep:
    No it costs 9 grand and you do combined science and maths on top of social sciences which is harder
    you still need a gcse maths grade c or above to do the access i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    It gets written off when you *graduate* from uni, not just when you go there. A small but critical difference.

ReputationRep:

I second this, if you can afford it. My son did his IGCSEs there, and they were really helpful. You can also do practicals there for science subjects.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.