Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Manchester United u21 vs Arsenal, Sunday 28/2 (14:05) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dat "mental strength". I think I'm going to be sick.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else's stream broken? Mine isn't showing any defenders
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rashford's performance is all the more impressive because he had the weight of expectation on him this time.

It's easy to perform if you're thrown into the first team with little warning and no time to get nervous, as he was in midweek, but he was up against many people's pick to be PL champions and he took his goals exceptionally well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Rashford's performance is all the more impressive because he had the weight of expectation on him this time.

It's easy to perform if you're thrown into the first team with little warning and no time to get nervous, as he was in midweek, but he was up against many people's pick to be PL champions and he took his goals exceptionally well.
    This doesn't make sense. The fact that there was no expectation on him to perform against people's pick to be PL champions is what made his performance all the more impressive. Have to say I thought his movement was fantastic, especially for the third goal. Created that chance out of nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    This doesn't make sense. The fact that there was no expectation on him to perform against people's pick to be PL champions is what made his performance all the more impressive. Have to say I thought his movement was fantastic, especially for the third goal. Created that chance out of nothing.
    There was pressure in the sense that everyone was wondering if he could do it against a big club, therefore many people were questioning him putting more pressure on him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    There was pressure in the sense that everyone was wondering if he could do it against a big club, therefore many people were questioning him putting more pressure on him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was literally his first PL start and second game, the guy had his wiki page created like 4 days ago. Don't think it would have proved anything if he failed to score yesterday.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    After scoring two goals, all eyes were on him. Everybody was watching him. That's pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that a debutant has no pressure at all to deliver, which ironically makes him perform better. We're keeping our u21s under wraps too often at times, while other clubs have their 18- year - olds knocking on the first team door.

ReputationRep:
    Debutants are exceptional cases I think and their performance will generally regress to the mean (so: they either start really well and then their performance goes down a bit or they start badly and then improve; PS. I know it's not rocket science but I think it's an interesting case of statistics).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by llys)
    Debutants are exceptional cases I think and their performance will generally regress to the mean (so: they either start really well and then their performance goes down a bit or they start badly and then improve; PS. I know it's not rocket science but I think it's an interesting case of statistics).
    Completely agree. Look at some of the youngest scorers in PL history. Aside from Owen and Rooney, very few were real trailblazers who set the division alight. James Vaughan, Macheda, Welbeck etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Completely agree. Look at some of the youngest scorers in PL history. Aside from Owen and Rooney, very few were real trailblazers who set the division alight. James Vaughan, Macheda, Welbeck etc.
    Yeah, interesting compilation here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-starlet.html
    It's exactly 50/50, not sure if they did that on purpose.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by llys)
    Yeah, interesting compilation here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-starlet.html
    It's exactly 50/50, not sure if they did that on purpose.
    Harsh on Forssell that. Sure, he wasn't Chelsea level, but he carved out a good PL career and shone for the likes of Birmingham.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.