(Original post by KevinGates)
    if u know u know how I made my money lol
    looool sick guy, £40,000 is still very very impressive regardless

ReputationRep:
    WARNING: Long term return is significantly larger than first requested

Aldi Make in Minutes Instant Noodles - Chicken Flavour - 108g

Price per unit - 18p
    Units per meal - 2x

£40,000 / £0.18 = 222,222 (rounded down from recurring 0.2)
    222,111 / 2 = 111,111 meals

Meals per day = x3

111,111 / 3 = 37037 days

Days per year = 365x

37037 / 365 = 101.47 (rounded to 2 dp)

Therefore, £40,000 = 101.47 years worth of three hot meals per day

Note - leap years not accounted for - effect upon total noodle consumption figure is negligible.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interest in jewellery and would like to know how exactly this works?
    well i have link in the USA who buys a LOT at estate sales and list it on eBay at between 15%-40% of retail value so selling to the trade is say 60% of retail so on a one piece he has right now is piece at a little off £40,000 and is a 31ct gia certificated yellow sapphire ring with a retail estimate of £175,000 so at that rate you would get around £100,000 for it and that leaves you up £60,000 for around a month's input of time and well then you have £100,000 to reinvest i just handed him just under £10,000 he's got me 4 rolexes (had a change of heart and go for a 18kt gold datejust rather than a two tone GMT master)with a retail estimate of over £25,000 so i'll make £15,000 to reinvest higher up in the listings

ReputationRep:
    Would that be advantageous opposed to buying one property on a 40% deposit
    Technically you can pay any % above the minimum.I wouldn't put all £40k down though, as you'll need some to cover other costs.

ReputationRep:
    Bump, I have 10K to invest so interested

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 taking a gap year and have saved up £40,000 from working full-time since I was 16 whilst at school , saving 100% of any money I came into and getting involved in something that I now regret but it made me a huge amount of money for my age.

I am thinking of purchasing a Buy to Let Property with a 40% Deposit , however I know very little about investing and other options. I am looking for a long-term return over about 15 years with regular passive income.
    Let me get this straight
    Are you actually asking for financial advice on TSR?
    Name:  Z17.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  33.6 KB
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Let me get this straight
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Let me get this straight
    I don't know anyone experienced financially. My mum always paid rent so i cant talk to her about mortgages.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone experienced financially. My mum always paid rent so i cant talk to her about mortgages.
    good try ... dad maybe
    grandads?
    older wiser members of the family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    good try ... dad maybe
    grandads?
    older wiser members of the family?
    My dad lives far away from me lol and is far from someone I would want to talk to about investing. As for my grandads , one has passed away and I don't know who the other one is. I'm asking here as a starter as intelligent people gather here and may provide me with ideas.

ReputationRep:
    My dad lives far away from me lol and is far from someone I would want to talk to about investing. As for my grandads , one has passed away and I don't know who the other one is. I'm asking here as a starter as intelligent people gather here and may provide me with ideas.
    my honest sincere advice if you have that sum of money is to leave alone for the time being and let no one know around of its existence ...

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't do anything on a whim or without thinking it through and understanding what you are doing 100% first. A lot of users on here will have you believe their investment ideas are foolproof and not risky at all and it's simply not the case, I don't recommend throwing 40k at something someone on TSR recommend. With that sum of money and your lack of experience and knowledge I completely recommend getting several professional opinions first above all else.

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 taking a gap year and have saved up £40,000 from working full-time since I was 16 whilst at school , saving 100% of any money I came into and getting involved in something that I now regret but it made me a huge amount of money for my age.

I am thinking of purchasing a Buy to Let Property with a 40% Deposit , however I know very little about investing and other options. I am looking for a long-term return over about 15 years with regular passive income.
    If you are looking for PASSIVE income do not even consider buy-to-let. It is like a part time job, and is not a good investment with current and future planned changes to tax reduction. It was a great investment for the past couple of decades, but not for much longer.

For what it's worth I would recommend that you read about Stocks and shares ISA. If you put your money into a index tracker fund (I.e. Vanguard lifestrategy 80 / 100) then it will give you true passive income whilst the economy is doing well. I believe the historic market returns from this type of investing are 7-10%.

The most important thing for you right now is to read and read, and not launch into anything.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously drugs. You're crazy putting that on TSR.

However, I would invest in the vanguard. I think it's averaged something like 8% growth for the past few decades. Read up on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we're assuming that you legit have £40k, you should probably just hire a financial adviser - probably cost a couple of hundred quid to actually advise you with your money (or maybe a % of the income) but it's the best sure fire way.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed- seek professional advice.

If you just blindly follow the advice here youre in trouble. For example, if you get a buy to let property before you actually own your own home, you are unlikely to be able to get a big enough mortgage later on for a domestic property as the loan on the BTL proprty will be taken off the max amount you can borrow.

Seek advice.

If any return looks too good to be true it probably is.

ReputationRep:
    Owning own residence is tax advantaged, and therefore probably the best investment one can make in the UK. Of course that assumes you buy as much house as you would rent, rather than more.

For the rest, stocks and shares ISAs, in low cost index funds.

Buy to let is bad for many reasons.

ReputationRep:
    similar sum i had at that age, same scenario. I re-invested it in my business and more than trebled it and then got a buy to let aged 21 fully paid off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    similar sum i had at that age, same scenario. I re-invested it in my business and more than trebled it and then got a buy to let aged 21 fully paid off.
    what business?

ReputationRep:

how do u work full time and attend school?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.