Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Easiest way to differentiate between poshos and non-poshos watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    What makes you say that?
    It's clearly as a kind of emotional powerplay.

Either they have a difficult family background due to abuse (which is fine since it's not the child's fault) so they haven't come to terms with the idea that 'Tracy' or whoever is their mum, or it's massive test to see how their parents will react, hence brattish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get schlonged m8)
    It's clearly as a kind of emotional powerplay.

Either they have a difficult family background due to abuse (which is fine since it's not the child's fault) so they haven't come to terms with the idea that 'Tracy' or whoever is their mum, or it's massive test to see how their parents will react, hence brattish.
    So those are the only two situations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So those are the only two situations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Non-poshos will refer to their parents as "my mum" and "my dad", whilst low-tier poshos forgo the possessive pronouns and just say "mum" and "dad"
    Extreme-tier poshos will regress to infantilism and say "mummy" and "daddy"
    Thoughts?
    really? i thought it was 'mother' and 'father' for poshos...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get schlonged m8)
    Yes.
    When did you study child psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeeranB)
    where do "mother" and "father" fit in?
    This is me, don't think it particularly exists any more amongst our generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACJHealy)
    Only in films really. Some might say 'my father' when talking about them with those who've never met said father but nobody uses 'father' in the presence of their parents themselves, and certainly nobody comes dashing up the drive yelling 'ohh father!' like many, I'm sure, imagine.
    You don't know many "posh" people do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I say my mother :[

ReputationRep:
    I tend to say 'me mam.'

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you call posh, really, I don't know any royals unfortunately (met Zara Phillips once and Earl Mountbatten was a good friend of the family before I was born) but I go to Winchester College, live on an Estate in the New Forest and have friends with titles, I ski in Val D'Isere, summer in St Tropez and ride in point to points. Just because I've put down a stereotype that I'm sure people like you love to endorse does not mean I'm common.
    You ride in point to points? Are you a manlet?

People like me? What is a person like me?
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I call my daddy 'daddy', 'papa', 'pops', 'father' and his own name. I refuse to call him 'Dad'.

ReputationRep:
    I refer to my mum as 'mum' when I'm talking about her to one of my sisters or my brother. I say 'my mum' when talking to other people. It's nothing to do with being posh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I've no idea what that is.

Snobbish middle middles.
    A short person.

I am far from snobbish my dear boy, you know the sum total of **** all about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I call my daddy 'daddy', 'papa', 'pops', 'father' and his own name. I refuse to call him 'Dad'.
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well, I'm 6ft 1 so I wouldn't say that I'm short.

I made the assumption from your original post...

...which, equally, proved you know the sum total of **** all about myself, also.
    So how is it that you are an amateur jockey who is tall?

From my experience of the asset rich (more commonly referred to as posh) it is very common for the terms mother and father to be used as opposed to any other terms. Which is why I questioned you upon it.

I have actually found out quite a lot about you from your posting history, Cartier watches, Defender 110, Gaziano Girling shoes and have a pretty good understanding of the sort of person you could be. What did strike as strange is that you have shrunk an inch in 3 weeks.

It also seems you are quite the snob yourself, looking down on those who do job which I can only assume you believe are beneath you.

Now with the evidence provided to are either a troll trying to play the over entitled rich boy or you are genuinely the snobby rich boy. I am leaning to say troll to be honest, suggesting TM Lewin or even Tyrwhitt as even semi good quality is where you let yourself down, you should know as someone who drinks "champers" at £500+ a bottle that they are actually poorly made and do not last.

And I bid you farewell sir.
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
    I just get bored of calling him Daddy all the time. I think it blows the theory in the OP out of the water though, I'm not posh!

You can tell by scent.

Cheap aftershave gives it off for me.

ReputationRep:
    In front of other people I call them 'mum' and 'dad' but at home I refer to them as mummy and daddy haha

I'm not posh though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fickschlitten)
    You can tell by scent.

Cheap aftershave gives it off for me.
    More like Lynx.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More like Lynx.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes, you can spot those type of lads at your local bookies.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.